• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton introduces Rescue Points

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Don't know what to do with your expiring 2006 points? Now you have 2 options:
1. Deposit into RCI for use within 2 years ($69 fee).
2. Deposit it into HGVC Resue account for use at HGVC reseorts for travel during 2007 ($59 fee).
Both options must be done by Dec 31, 2006

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
But not 2005 points.

Just to add a note.

If you have 2005 points that you banked ahead to 2006, these cannot be rescued. Your only option is to bank with RCI.

Short

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question about this.

The Grand times magazine mentions that you can "rescue" your 2006 points for use in 2007. Is this a one time deal - or will this "Rescue" account be available all years going forward?

I ask because I am thinking of banking my 2007 points to 2008, but if I can bank them next year, then I will just hang on to them on the off chance that I do use them in 2007.

Thanks,
DG

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bank your 2007 poiints to 2008 you can borrow them back in 2007 at no additional charge. If you have not used them by Dec 2008 you can deposit them into RCI for two more years use.

If you do not bank ahead and have leftover points for 2007 you have two options.

1. You can rescue the points into HGVC 2008 but they must be used in HGVC and expire in Dec of 2008. A good option if you have a few left over points.

2 Deposit into RCI. A good option if you more points and don't expect or want to use them in 2008.

I believe the fees are the same for banking ahead now or rescuing the points later.

Short

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
While I like this idea, I can see potential problems with it. Let's say 50% of HGVC members rescue their 2007 points for use in 2008. Those rescued points now must be used at a HGVC property (I'm not certain about HGVC affiliate properties).

Now let's say all of those people want to use their rescued 2007 points in 2008 along with their 2008 points. What's going to happen to inventory for the lub reservation window? Memebers could find inventory getting tighter than it has been in the past.

Owners may have to make a shift in how they plan out their vacations with HGVC. Advance planning during the home resort resevation window could become the way to go. Flexibility to exchange within the system might become considerably more difficult. Anticipated inventory to bulk deposit to RCI could drastically change.

Now I'm not saying that this is a bad idea. It just might take a little rethinking of usage strategy for HGVC owners.

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Club

The Club manages the inventory so as to make sure there is space available for members. Since they have access to the number of members doing this they should be able to compensate for higher member usage.

I would expect the inventory availablilty to remain substantially the same.

Short

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I "rescue" my points into 2007 (let's say I have 4800 UNUSED points). That would give me 9600 for "next" year.

I cannot "borrow" 4800 from 2008 to combine for a total of 14400, right?

(let's say you want something "expensive" or whatever)

rfb813

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I "rescued" my 2006 points they told me that the points could be used at any HGVC Club resort including affiliates.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
hgvc rescue points

Hi seth or whoever can help- I am purchasing an HGVC resort resale to finally close Jan 1/07 Seller is suppossed to treansfer 7000 unused points from 2006 to 2007.
He called HILTON about the rescue points and trqansferring to my name and and HILTON said he cannot transfer if he plans on selling the property resale- Any ideas/ thoughts on this?

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
hurnik said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I "rescue" my points into 2007 (let's say I have 4800 UNUSED points). That would give me 9600 for "next" year.

I cannot "borrow" 4800 from 2008 to combine for a total of 14400, right?

I don't see why you couldn't. Sounds like a great party in an HHV penthouse.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hi seth or whoever can help- I am purchasing an HGVC resort resale to finally close Jan 1/07 Seller is suppossed to treansfer 7000 unused points from 2006 to 2007.
He called HILTON about the rescue points and trqansferring to my name and and HILTON said he cannot transfer if he plans on selling the property resale- Any ideas/ thoughts on this?

Hi Benjamin,
Let me know who the broker is. If I am the broker, I will have it taken care of for you. If someone else is the broker, let me know the seller's info as well as the broker and I will try to take care of it for you. Please also email me your # sethnock@hotmail.com

Seth Nock

Reaction score
While I like this idea, I can see potential problems with it. Let's say 50% of HGVC members rescue their 2007 points for use in 2008. Those rescued points now must be used at a HGVC property (I'm not certain about HGVC affiliate properties).

Now let's say all of those people want to use their rescued 2007 points in 2008 along with their 2008 points. What's going to happen to inventory for the lub reservation window? Memebers could find inventory getting tighter than it has been in the past.

Owners may have to make a shift in how they plan out their vacations with HGVC. Advance planning during the home resort resevation window could become the way to go. Flexibility to exchange within the system might become considerably more difficult. Anticipated inventory to bulk deposit to RCI could drastically change.

Now I'm not saying that this is a bad idea. It just might take a little rethinking of usage strategy for HGVC owners.

No need to worry. There are enough people who trade for points, trade through RCI and let their points burn to more than compenate for the rescue points.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
No need to worry. There are enough people who trade for points, trade through RCI and let their points burn to more than compenate for the rescue points.

Could you explain your theory further, Seth?

If someone trades for points or trades through RCI, this requires a removal of inventory from HGVC just as if they had used their week. The only unused inventory would come from owners who don't use their points. Does HGVC have any figures on what percentage of owners typically let their points go to waste?

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Could you explain your theory further, Seth?

If someone trades for points or trades through RCI, this requires a removal of inventory from HGVC just as if they had used their week. The only unused inventory would come from owners who don't use their points. Does HGVC have any figures on what percentage of owners typically let their points go to waste?

Some owners trade for HHonors points. That does not take inventory. Also, Hilton tends to bulk deposit into RCI, so they already deposited units to dover the RCI requests.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some owners trade for HHonors points. That does not take inventory. Also, Hilton tends to bulk deposit into RCI, so they already deposited units to dover the RCI requests.

Seth, when an owner trades for HHonors points, they give up their week to Hilton. That takes a week out of circulation, just as if they'd used their week at an HGVC resort..So it's taking a week out of inventory. Not the same as an owner letting a week go unused and go to waste..

The second part of your answer brings up another question...what if fewer owners request RCI trades than HGVC anticipates when they bulk deposit and HGVC deposits too many weeks with RCI? Do they get the excess back (either this year or next year)?

Seems as though all this wheeling & dealing that HGVC does with trading for points, bulk spacebanking, rescue points, borrow points, bank points, has the ability to bite them in the ass at some point if they don't keep a real close watch on what they're doing. Some owners in the last half of the year have the potential of calling HGVC and getting "whoops, sorry, there are no more weeks to reserve at an HGVC resort this year. You can roll your points over to next year if you like, or take an RCI exchange, but you won't be staying at an HGVC resort unless you trade into one through RCI"

It seems very similar to airline overbooking, and at some point, your calculations are off and you have too many seats booked on a flight...What then?

Bill4728

Reaction score
What is the difference between rescue and banking your points?

As far as I can see there isn't any but what am I missing?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill, we had to "rescue" our points this year since we were not able to use our week. Now we must use the points within this year at a HGVC property (no affiliates).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What is the difference between rescue and banking your points?

As far as I can see there isn't any but what am I missing?

As I was told -- banking points is done before the beginning of the year; rescuing is done at the end of the year.

For example, to bank your 2007 points into 2008, that has to be done before Jan 1, 2007. Then at the end of 2007 Hilton will open up a window of time where you can "rescue" any unused 2007 points, but those points must be used for HGVC reservations in 2008. The "banked" points can be used for HGVC or transferred to RCI, I believe.

Kurt

na2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Seth,

I just bought at Surf club and the week is deposited tentatively by the seller. I want HGVC points (2007) for conversion to HHonors points. Can it be done?

Can you convert your 2007 HGVC points to HHonors points in 2007?

NA