• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visa Moving U.S. to Chip-Based Cards

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
FINALLY.
http://news.yahoo.com/visa-goodbye-mag-stripe-credit-cards-hello-chip-154717916.html

Condensed From PC Magazine:
---------------------------------
Visa: Goodbye to Mag-Stripe Credit Cards, Hello to Chip Cards
By Mark Hachman - PC Magazine

Visa said Tuesday that it is making an aggressive effort to push U.S. consumers onto credit cards with embedded security chips, a technology that has become prevalent overseas.

Visa also said that it sees an end to the common "mag-stripe" credit card, which the United States has used for decades. In its place, Visa said it will move to EMV or "Chip and PIN" technology. Visa also set a deadline: April 2013, the date by which its service providers must support merchant transactions using chip-based cards.

Ellen Richey, Visa's chief enterprise risk officer, wrote: "... now more than ever before, we're hearing confirmation that chip is the right direction for the U.S. ... We've seen financial institutions issuing chip cards to international travelers. And some large merchants have already begun installing chip terminals.

Europe is increasingly moving to the so-called "Chip and PIN" technology, where consumers slide a card, then enter a 4-digit PIN. "EMV" technology refers to Europay, MasterCard and VISA, who developed an interoperable standard for chip readers.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
It's about time! The last time I was in Finland (two years ago) I had a hard time finding ATMs that accepted my non-chip debit card.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Great, another PIN number to remember. :rolleyes: Somehow I don't think this will be any more secure and is likely to make life a little harder on me.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good riddance magnetic strip! Very outdated, and those of us employed in MRI will never miss those bloody things.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great, another PIN number to remember. :rolleyes: Somehow I don't think this will be any more secure and is likely to make life a little harder on me.

One thing is certain. Nothing is getting easier. Complexity rules the day. I guess that is why there are some businesses which will "safeguard" your passwords and give them to your heirs upon "the true death" ie physical death. Our digital lives leave their footprints and are still required once we are gone. I have all my passwords encrypted and gave my "heirs" the location of the program and the key to enter. I long for the days when you could just "croak" and be done with it with simple instructions in a will. :)

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It may be a while before it's completely implemented. I just got my chip card (in Canada) a few months ago but there are still lots of merchants here that haven't changed over, even though apparently it was supposed to be mandatory some time ago.

It's handy, actually, a lot faster in line as it's just like a debit card, no signing or anything.

MomoD

TUG Member
Reaction score
FINALLY.
http://news.yahoo.com/visa-goodbye-mag-stripe-credit-cards-hello-chip-154717916.html

Condensed From PC Magazine:
---------------------------------
Visa: Goodbye to Mag-Stripe Credit Cards, Hello to Chip Cards
By Mark Hachman - PC Magazine

Visa said Tuesday that it is making an aggressive effort to push U.S. consumers onto credit cards with embedded security chips, a technology that has become prevalent overseas.

Visa also said that it sees an end to the common "mag-stripe" credit card, which the United States has used for decades. In its place, Visa said it will move to EMV or "Chip and PIN" technology. Visa also set a deadline: April 2013, the date by which its service providers must support merchant transactions using chip-based cards.

Ellen Richey, Visa's chief enterprise risk officer, wrote: "... now more than ever before, we're hearing confirmation that chip is the right direction for the U.S. ... We've seen financial institutions issuing chip cards to international travelers. And some large merchants have already begun installing chip terminals.

Europe is increasingly moving to the so-called "Chip and PIN" technology, where consumers slide a card, then enter a 4-digit PIN. "EMV" technology refers to Europay, MasterCard and VISA, who developed an interoperable standard for chip readers.

We have been usung chip and pin for a number of years here in the UK, it's much easier and quicker to use. Once you get used to it you would'nt want to go back to the old way. :whoopie: