• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

As a buyer or seller, how do you choose a website?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
#1 Redweek listed their first Ad in 2003 - 13 years ago. In other words, they got in early. Since then many small players have entered the market.

#2 Redweek's fees are low - they do it with volume.

#3 What can you offer as a start-up - that will allow you to compete with Redweek? :shrug:

I am not going to post my own ideas in a public forum in which someone can beat me to the punch. :hysterical:

I will say that there will be features included in which you won't find in any other timeshare site in the world and the cost to users will be far less than any competitor you can find.

Allowing consumers to get MORE for less.

Then let the marketplace decide its fate.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A nice website with helpful features is great, but what people really want is RESUTS!

If you can beat Redweek's RESULTS, you have a chance.

If you don't get results, you will be just another website in a crowded market.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Slinger asked valid questions. Getting responses like "This looks like market research to me.." is not useful. It reminds me of someone asking for directions and getting the response to go buy a map.

Many of us have spent thousands of dollars to do timeshares. We like the lifestyle. So when have made our trips and need to exit the timeshare, it is okay asking for directions.

Kim

I have to respectfully disagree with what's bolded. It's always useful when TUGgers warn each other that ulterior motives might be in play. Despite the fact that responses to the OP's numerous questions in this thread could be helpful for any number of reasons, some of us think that the reason why the OP is collecting so much information is as important.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not going to post my own ideas in a public forum in which someone can beat me to the punch. :hysterical:

I will say that there will be features included in which you won't find in any other timeshare site in the world and the cost to users will be far less than any competitor you can find.

Allowing consumers to get MORE for less.

Then let the marketplace decide its fate.

So, should the folks who are contributing to your market research expect compensation for their time and expertise? Should they have been told upfront that's what they were doing?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not here to argue with anyone.

TUG has always been a great place to share experiences, ideas, travel tips and much much more. Many great personal relationships and friendships have been formed by members that met one another.

I am here to find out from buyers and sellers what works best for them, what they dislike about the current marketplace options and what they would love to see incorporated in a website they would make the choice to use.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

Everyone that reads this thread has the OPTION or CHOICE to participate or not. I don't see the value in getting into a bickering contest. No one wins from that. Especially not the reputation of TUG.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not here to argue with anyone.

TUG has always been a great place to share experiences, ideas, travel tips and much much more. Many great personal relationships and friendships have been formed by members that met one another.

I am here to find out from buyers and sellers what works best for them, what they dislike about the current marketplace options and what they would love to see incorporated in a website they would make the choice to use.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

Everyone that reads this thread has the OPTION or CHOICE to participate or not. I don't see the value in getting into a bickering contest. No one wins from that. Especially not the reputation of TUG.

If you're referring to me, I'm not bickering with you. I'm just pointing out for the benefit of those reading/responding that they may want to consider your motives. IMO TUG's reputation is helped by such warnings, not harmed.

But you're correct that readers/responders have a choice. Now that your motive is clear, it will be an informed choice.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good luck.

If it works, it might benefit some of us. If not, well, sorry.

I do hope that :

• the site has a firm, well-designed mechanism to defeat/discourage fraud, dumping, Viking ships and a plan that doesn't include up-front fees with no results and empty promises.
  • the site uses a respected, proven and transparent title and escrow service (like the one cited by so many Tuggers) that removes the 'will I ever see my money/deed?' element from resales.
Good luck, you're either brave and talented or....well, the alternative.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Slinger - There is nothing wrong with what you are trying to do. But you clearly asked people for opinions, and it is clear (to any experienced owner) that you are asking how to develop a successful resale website.

Again, nothing wrong with that.

But - if you ask for opinions on TUG - you are going to get negative opinions, as well as positive opinions.

If you only want to hear "positive input" your endeavor is doomed before you start.

I'm out.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck.

If it works, it might benefit some of us. If not, well, sorry.

I do hope that :
  • the site has a firm, well-designed mechanism to defeat/discourage fraud, dumping, Viking ships and a plan that doesn't include up-front fees with no results and empty promises.
  • the site uses a respected, proven and transparent title and escrow service (like the one cited by so many Tuggers) that removes the 'will I ever see my money/deed?' element from resales.
Good luck, you're either brave and talented or....well, the alternative.

I agree with both your thoughts/suggestions/ideas and am well ahead of you. :)

And I do agree, I hope that I am on the brave and talented side of those two choices. :eek:

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're referring to me, I'm not bickering with you. I'm just pointing out for the benefit of those reading/responding that they may want to consider your motives. IMO TUG's reputation is helped by such warnings, not harmed.

But you're correct that readers/responders have a choice. Now that your motive is clear, it will be an informed choice.

No no. Wasn't pointing to anyone. Just that the thread was taking a turn into negativity. I don't come to TUG for negativity. There is plenty of that in the developers sales office.

The reason I wasn't more specific is that any time some one gets a sniff of an advertisement, [the author gets punished.] I was trying to abide by the TUG code of conduct. Now I'm told I was wrong. Damned if I do. Damned if I don't.

I tried my best to follow the rules here.

Last edited by a moderator:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The website friendliness isn't very important

I think that if Slinger comes up with a slick website that is the ultimate in user friendliness, it will be of secondary importance.

I've bought 4 timeshares. Two off of ebay, one off of TUG and one off of Redweek. I also have perused sumdayvacations. It is a pretty decent site backed up by a good company that fixes problems. All of those sites work well enough for me to make a buying decision. All have some drawbacks.

On ebay, Reputation and buyer satisfaction ratings are the most important. This also is a factor on Redweek and TUG as it relates to the seller's or buyer's knowledge of the sales process. Cost is a factor but it is largely driven by the market. Accuracy of a listing is important. Volume of successful business is a factor in some cases. I would definitely shy away from buying from a start-up. I want to buy from someone with a solid record and from someone who probably knows more than I do.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason I wasn't more specific is that any time some one gets a sniff of an advertisement, the gestapo tactics come out and punish the author.

Moderator's warning: This is over the line.

If you wish for this thread to remain open, please stay on topic.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No no. Wasn't pointing to anyone. Just that the thread was taking a turn into negativity. I don't come to TUG for negativity. There is plenty of that in the developers sales office.

The reason I wasn't more specific is that any time some one gets a sniff of an advertisement, [the author gets punished.] I was trying to abide by the TUG code of conduct. Now I'm told I was wrong. Damned if I do. Damned if I don't.

I tried my best to follow the rules here.

No TUG rules were broken until the comment that I edited out. :) And you weren't told you were wrong, you were asked to clarify the motives for your numerous questions. I didn't ask in a moderator capacity; any TUGger could have asked the same as I did.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Moderator's warning: This is over the line.

If you wish for this thread to remain open, please stay on topic.

I couldn't agree more!!!

That's what I have been trying to echo from the beginning of this thread. Someone else took it off target.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I couldn't agree more!!!

That's what I have been trying to echo from the beginning of this thread. Someone else took it off target.

Now as a moderator: It's not the fact that people questioned your motives that is offensive. It's the specific comment that I edited out of your post that is (and I'll leave it to Denise to do further edits if she wants.) This is also a reminder, and the last warning, that TUG Posting Rules do not allow commentary about moderation in the threads.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely shy away from buying from a start-up. I want to buy from someone with a solid record and from someone who probably knows more than I do.

I totally agree. I wouldn't buy from a start up either.

For that very reason, Redweek, eBay, TUG, Craiglist and others don't own the timeshare that you are buying. Who wants to own 10,000+ timeshares to sell? :eek:

For the reasons you posted above, I think some type of feedback and record keeping on sellers is very important. As well as using top notch ethical and honest transfer and escrow companies. :)

Thank you for taking the time to chime in and give your opinions fellow San Diegan!!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The answers to most of your market research questions are 'yes' (of course those services are desired).
Perusing thru TUG threads (research), and buying/selling/rental across programs (weeks/points) will answer a lot of your other questions because it 'depends' - need to familiarize with multiple systems (or pay Denise a consultant fee...)

Can't make money on value-less timeshares (including rental value) unless somehow (even subtly) sellers/buyers are getting the raw end of deal - or the HOA. I do not mean reasonable charge for real service like RedWeek.

RedWeek - although flawed - is going to be difficult to beat based on First to Market principles. Certainly, RW could improve their user experience (like using current technology and processes) - but that would likely result in an increased cost - and that would limit the already low values.

IMO - best to buyout RW and take over their database - and improve the user experience - and vastly improve Marketing and Branding to a larger customer base (that certainly is out there). In my experience, very few people seem to about RW or TUG whether they already own, looking to buy/sell, or looking to rent.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify: I don't do consulting, and if I did, I could not advise someone on creating a website to buy and sell timeshares, because I don't think it is a viable business model.

The first question would be: What is your product?

1) Are you selling timeshares (or helping people sell their timeshares)?

2) Or are you selling advertising?

If you are selling timeshares - there is a huge need for someone who can actually sell timeshares, but because most timeshares have no resale value - I don't know how you do that.

If you are selling advertising - then I think that market is already saturated.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The answers to most of your market research questions are 'yes' (of course those services are desired).
Perusing thru TUG threads (research), and buying/selling/rental across programs (weeks/points) will answer a lot of your other questions because it 'depends' - need to familiarize with multiple systems (or pay Denise a consultant fee...)

Can't make money on value-less timeshares (including rental value) unless somehow (even subtly) sellers/buyers are getting the raw end of deal - or the HOA. I do not mean reasonable charge for real service like RedWeek.

RedWeek - although flawed - is going to be difficult to beat based on First to Market principles. Certainly, RW could improve their user experience (like using current technology and processes) - but that would likely result in an increased cost - and that would limit the already low values.

IMO - best to buyout RW and take over their database - and improve the user experience - and vastly improve Marketing and Branding to a larger customer base (that certainly is out there). In my experience, very few people seem to about RW or TUG whether they already own, looking to buy/sell, or looking to rent.

DavidnRobin thanks for taking the time to write. I really value each set of eyes that looks and tosses me a set of theories and opinions. For I am only one soul and can't possiblly know or think of everything. Not even close!

I don't see why anyone has to NOT going into business in fear of competition. I do agree that RW is in good shape. I do also view that they are missing the boat in so many ways. Why not be different then RW?

Example: eBay was the first and foremost online auction site. (The first to get big anyway). I guess no other auction sites should even try to go into business then due to market satiation and first in business right? Then how did so many other auction sites pop up now that are money makers? Ubids. Beezids. Etc on and on. They work because they are all different and offer a unique user experience.

So why do I or anyone else have to beat RW? Why not just go out there and create something that works along side RW? That's my goal.

Thanks so much again for your thoughts and time. TUG is always a great place to get honest opinions from so many different people with such unique life knowledge and experiences.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
comparing eBay as a 1st-to-Market to this is clouding decision making.
Taxi cabs were 1st before Uber...

Gaining adequate inventory is the issue here in a speciality area where >90% of products have zero to negative value.

I will pay to have 1 site (RedWeek), but not 2 sites as RW already works - so, somehow going to have to gain entry into Market that has little profit overhead so need to work on volume to compensate. I would only do it for free, and then willing to pay (~$25) to switch to another site if they proved to offer greater value than RW.

Once inventory is gained, RW is an easy target in some ways - coexisting at a profit?
I don't think the market valuation is there (unless expanded). RW suffers from a lack of visibility, and software is stuck in 2001. It may be more viable to take them over - revamp - and expand visibility.

IMO - good luck...

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you again for the well wishes. :)