• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Keyed Wristbands [2015]

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We also had to ask at Shadow Ridge. They are very convenient as you need key to get into the pool and its always handy on your wrist.

That looks like the perfect hybrid....same design as the original ones, but with the CMN logo.....seems like that design would be a winner.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
haven't noticed anyone wearing them today at MFC...and the regular free key card is waterproof (tested that today).

used the $10 to buy a drink at the bar instead! =)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am still not sure if I would use the wrist bands. I like that I can put the key card in my wallet or pocket pretty easy. I rarely wear a watch, so I am not big on wearing something on my wrist. I can understand the convenience, but reaching in my pocket for the key card isn't that much more trouble. Guess we will see the next time we stay at Ocean Pointe.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Any updates on the CMN room key bracelets? Are the resorts still offering them?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Same with Maui. I had to ask for bracelets.

Interesting, we stayed the week after you and were offered the bands. We bought 2. I hate wearing paper resort bands at the pool. Was told theses ID bands would mean no paper bands daily for me. That's what sold me. Ended up loving not having to search for the room keys.

Have a trip to Ocean Point in April and Surf Club in July definitely will bring to both.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I am still not sure if I would use the wrist bands. I like that I can put the key card in my wallet or pocket pretty easy. I rarely wear a watch, so I am not big on wearing something on my wrist. I can understand the convenience, but reaching in my pocket for the key card isn't that much more trouble. Guess we will see the next time we stay at Ocean Pointe.

When we were at MOC on Maui for 2-weeks in December, I opted for the wrist bands at check-in and purchased 3 wristbands for $20. I'm sure glad that we did. No fumbling with the plastic door cards/keys, while trying to get into the room with/without my hands full. No forgetting the key. No problems with demagnification and the card no longer working. No problems with what to do with the key when I go to the spa, pool, snorkeling, and scuba diving: all of which we did with the wrist keys. I just hope that all of the other Marriott TS's and hotels convert their door locks to use the reusable/rekeyable wristbands.

As noted on the following Marriott website:

https://www.marriottvacationclub.co...t-Wristband-Room-Key-to-Support-Charity.shtml

"Owners and guests will receive a Miracle Band Key with a $10 donation (or two Miracle Band Keys with a $15 donation) to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. All donations go to the local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital to help sick and injured kids in that community."

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

I am actually now considering getting the bands for our next stay. We have a stay at Royal Palms followed by Ocean Pointe and then back to Imperial Palms. Not sure if the Palms properties have the bands yet or not?

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am actually now considering getting the bands for our next stay. We have a stay at Royal Palms followed by Ocean Pointe and then back to Imperial Palms. Not sure if the Palms properties have the bands yet or not?
I forgot to mention that it's also convenient for all areas at the TS that require a guest key, such as the activities center, getting to/from the beach like at Ko'Olina, and getting back into a building that's locked after hours. It's also convenient for entering the parking garage: I no longer had to pull my wallet out to get the room key.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought two when we checked in to MFC. I hate the thing. First I felt like I was in an all-inclusive. Second, the ones they sell here are not adjustable and one size definitely does not fit all. It was very tight on my wrist. Third, the sensor is on the door lock and it's inconvenient twisting your wrist to connect the band dead center in the the sensor mechanism because of the proximity of the sensor to the door jamb.

On the other hand my wife loves it. Go figure.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, just saw this - we were at MOC in January and were never offered the wristbands, though I have a vague memory of seeing a small card on the front desk (which I assumed was just the usual request to add a donation to the bill).

I'd jump at them in a heartbeat mostly because it solves what to do with my key when I go to the fitness center! (Right now I stick the card into my ipod armband, but it's a pain to wiggle it out again.)

Has anyone had experience getting them re-programmed at more than one resort? We're at DSV and CV in March, so we can try it out.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Has anyone had experience getting them re-programmed at more than one resort? We're at DSV and CV in March, so we can try it out.

I got mine at MFC and have gotten them reprogrammed at Custom House, Ocean Pointe and Grande Ocean so far. Works like a charm.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We bought two when we checked in to MFC. I hate the thing. First I felt like I was in an all-inclusive. Second, the ones they sell here are not adjustable and one size definitely does not fit all. It was very tight on my wrist. Third, the sensor is on the door lock and it's inconvenient twisting your wrist to connect the band dead center in the the sensor mechanism because of the proximity of the sensor to the door jamb.

On the other hand my wife loves it. Go figure.
A couple of points and observations.

1. At any of the Marriott TS's that I've stayed at, you are required to wear a wristband, be it the traditional one that they supply at check-in or the optional RFID one, none of which are adjustable. At Ko'Olina, they walk around with wristbands and if you aren't wearing one they hand you one and make you put it on. In Aruba, I was stopped because they thought I didn't have a wristband on, but at the time I had it on my ankle.

2. Just for reference for anybody concerned that the wristbands might be too tight. I'm 6' tall and weighted in at about 180 lbs at the time of our trip. The wristband was a little loose around my wrist. My wives son is over 6', weighs about 250/260, wears size 36/38, and is very muscular: he had no problem with the wristband being too tight.

3. At times, it could be a pain trying to use the RFID band to enter the room or open the parking garage gate trying to angle your wrist so that the front of the RFID is parallel to the reader on the lock, especially if you let the RFID device rotate to the inside of your wrist, which is where I usually kept it on my left wrist along with my watch.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess this must be primarily a US thing?
I have never come across a wristband at any of the resorts we own at or visit.
If it was very convenient to use without need for physical contortions then I might be interested, but otherwise I would prefer to stick with the card key.
Although, I think with the wristband I might feel rather like Number Six in The Prisoner (for those who might remember it) - my favourite TV show to watch, but not something I would want to participate in.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

1. At any of the Marriott TS's that I've stayed at, you are required to wear a wristband, be it the traditional one that they supply at check-in or the optional RFID one, none of which are adjustable. At Ko'Olina, they walk around with wristbands and if you aren't wearing one they hand you one and make you put it on. In Aruba, I was stopped because they thought I didn't have a wristband on, but at the time I had it on my ankle.

Guess I won't be going to Ko'Lina or Aruba

2. Just for reference for anybody concerned that the wristbands might be too tight. I'm 6' tall and weighted in at about 180 lbs at the time of our trip. The wristband was a little loose around my wrist. My wives son is over 6', weighs about 250/260, wears size 36/38, and is very muscular: he had no problem with the wristband being too tight.

6' 1" 230, it's tight.

3. At times, it could be a pain trying to use the RFID band to enter the room or open the parking garage gate trying to angle your wrist so that the front of the RFID is parallel to the reader on the lock, especially if you let the RFID device rotate to the inside of your wrist, which is where I usually kept it on my left wrist along with my watch.

Well we agree on something.

Different stokes for different folks. Somebody said that back in the 60's.

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score

Unless something has changed in the last few months the only place one needs a wristband in Aruba (which can be tied to one's beach bag:) is at the Surf club lazy river area/beach chair area. With great pleasure I can state that I am not aware of the all-inclusive wrist band concept plaguing the Ocean Club ( they did have the rfid bracelets for sale ) for those who chose to wear them. So for those who wish to remain wrist band free try the OC ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Unless something has changed in the last few months the only place one needs a wristband in Aruba (which can be tied to one's beach bag:) is at the Surf club lazy river area/beach chair area. With great pleasure I can state that I am not aware of the all-inclusive wrist band concept plaguing the Ocean Club ( they did have the rfid bracelets for sale ) for those who chose to wear them. So for those who wish to remain wrist band free try the OC ;)

Though at the Surf Club, are you not supposed to wear the wrist band, as opposed to fastening it to a beach bag? I recall security standing on the bridges of over the lazy river checking people for them and questioning when they didn't see them.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Though at the Surf Club, are you not supposed to wear the wrist band, as opposed to fastening it to a beach bag? I recall security standing on the bridges of over the lazy river checking people for them and questioning when they didn't see them.

I got nailed by security at the Surf Club in Aruba over by the adult pool, which is between the lazy river and the beach. But remember, I had the wristband on my ankle at the time.

I have no problems wearing the wristband and I wish they would enforce it at all of the resorts. Not only to help keep the riff raff out of the pools and common grounds, but also for security purposes with the buildings.

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score

All I know is that on the single occasion we stayed at the Surf I never wore mine ( I truly hate those things...imho they seriously cheapen a resort) and as long as I showed it to the guard I had no problems.

We do have friends who own at both the OC where we are and at the SC and when they come over to visit at the beach they aren't usually wearing them ( but that could be to avoid getting thrown off of our beach...;))

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got nailed by security at the Surf Club in Aruba over by the adult pool, which is between the lazy river and the beach. But remember, I had the wristband on my ankle at the time.

I have no problems wearing the wristband and I wish they would enforce it at all of the resorts. Not only to help keep the riff raff out of the pools and common grounds, but also for security purposes with the buildings.

I guess it is perspective. If Marriott did that I think we'd become the "riff raff" !

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
All I know is that on the single occasion we stayed at the Surf I never wore mine ( I truly hate those things...imho they seriously cheapen a resort) and as long as I showed it to the guard I had no problems.
The first time I ever saw the wristband keys was at Four Seasons Hualalai a few years back. They were on the cutting edge of cheap resorts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I don't mind them using wristbands, it makes the job easier for Security personnel. At my two resorts we've been asked to keep them with us, not necessarily wear them, during the highest-demand periods.

The new keyed wristbands are a source of income for MVW's charity of choice, "Childrens Miracle Network Hospitals." Over the years we've found many ways to participate onsite at the resorts - raffles, Activities, etc.

Over the last couple years they've been changing out the villa entries resort-by-resort to keyless. I'd guess that the keyed wristbands will eventually be available at every resort that has keyless entries. Is it possible, though, that regulations about charitable giving will restrict their use to only US resorts? I don't know, just asking.

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first time I ever saw the wristband keys was at Four Seasons Hualalai a few years back. They were on the cutting edge of cheap resorts.

That surprises me since we've now been there 4 times and never a wrist band in sight. Was this for the regular pools or for the snorkel pool/pond only ?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I recall staying at Lakeshore Reserve one time and they walked around the pool and asked people if they had wrist bands. Those without were simply given one. If there was "riff raff" they got one too for a free return visit :hysterical:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
That surprises me since we've now been there 4 times and never a wrist band in sight. Was this for the regular pools or for the snorkel pool/pond only ?
It was just a wristband key ala the OP.

Not the rubberband wristbands for access. Not necessary, as all of the staff knows you by name within a few hours.