• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MF statement property tax write off

pefs65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where on my MOC MF statement would be the property tax amount that I can use on my taxes to write off?

Is it the actual amount?

I own EOY.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a CPA

If you look at the insert with your MF or go to MVCI web site, you can see they break out everything.

I own at Canyon Ridge and the line item for property tax in 2009 was $41.31 in 2010 $38.88 per unit week.

So yours should probably be around that amount.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
I am EOY at MOC also, the tax amount for last year was $60 and it does qualify as a RE tax deduction.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Multiple weeks?

I am EOY at MOC also, the tax amount for last year was $60 and it does qualify as a RE tax deduction.

If you own at multiple resorts, are the property taxes from ALL of your weeks deductible? Is there any sort of limit?

pefs65

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know I just realized that I paid MF for 2010 but not 2009.

So I guess for this Tax yr 2009 I can not write off the property tax because it is for 2010 right?:shrug:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own at multiple resorts, are the property taxes from ALL of your weeks deductible? Is there any sort of limit?

Again, not a Tax guy but did talk with one a while back.

Yes, no limit as long as property taxes are billed or listed separately for each unit you can take each deduction.

Example:
For Shadow Ridge you get a separate bill, so no problem.
For Canyon Villas, the fee insert has a separate line item for property taxes per unit, so good also.

If you had a T/S Share that just sends you a Main Fee bill and then provides you with the total budget - You can not do the math yourself and take the deduction (So if Tax for a 1000 room resort was 520,000, you could not deduct $10 (520,000 / 1000 rooms / 52 weeks).

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
rthib has it exactly correct. And, confirming, from my Income Taxes and Timeshares article:
... if the property taxes applicable to your unit are billed separately to you (such as in California), those are deductible. They should also be deductible if your resort shows them as a separate item on your maintenance fee billing. However, if you have to seek out the tax amount applicable to your unit by examining the financial statements, the taxes are not deductible.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
So why does Starwood itemize the property tax amount on at least one of the maintenance fee bills it sends out (Kierland) but not on others (WKORV, SDO, and SBP)?

If Starwood itemized property taxes on the Maui properties where the massive increases in property taxes are one of the reasons for the 20% increases in MF's this year, it would provide some tax benefit for its customers and simultaneously justify at least a portion of the fee increase. Does it matter that Starwood is not actually paying the tax increase, but instead deposits it into some kind of impound account pending administrative or judicial determination of the propriety of the tax increase?

Am I missing something or is this just another example of Starwood's poor management (Starwood gains nothing by not doing its paperwork in a way to give its customers a tax break)?

BTW--Marriott itemized property taxes on the MF bills it sent for Waiohai.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
perfs65, the taxes are a deduction in the year that they are paid...so if you paid the 2010 MF in 2009 theycan be deducted in 2009.

Also, there is no limitation on how many units (taxes) are paid.

pefs65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I did pay them in 2009.
So great I will use them as a property tax deduction.

Thanks for all of your help.

pefs65

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked my MF statement and it says my property tax for my 2br eoy MOC is approx $144?

Is that right ? would that be the figure I use?

Thanks

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I have a question for you tax Guru's out there. I just found out that Marriott is telling new buyers that the tax bill for Frenchman's Cove will be $271 in 2011. If that's true, and I have no confirmation that it is, that means I would get a bill for 2006 thru 2011 next year. Do I have to file a bunch of amended returns or can I just deduct it in one year since I will be paying it in one year?