• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Studio Availability at 8 months

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been watching studios at WSJ for the last couple months and trying to book a SO reservation there since the beginning of may (Check-in January) What I keep finding is that there will be availability up to 8 months plus 2 days, but then availability disappears the day before the reservation window opens up. :wall: What I am wondering is if it is even possible to book a SO reservation in a Studio at WSJ during week 1-18? Are there a lot of studios there or not?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I have been watching studios at WSJ for the last couple months and trying to book a SO reservation there since the beginning of may (Check-in January) What I keep finding is that there will be availability up to 8 months plus 2 days, but then availability disappears the day before the reservation window opens up. :wall: What I am wondering is if it is even possible to book a SO reservation in a Studio at WSJ during week 1-18? Are there a lot of studios there or not?

It is possible, but keep in mind the only studios are in Virgin Grand and Coral Vista. Virgin Grand was sold as fixed weeks with a high percentage of people using their deeded weeks, and has far fewer exchanges out than other resorts with floating ownership.

So, when you see availability for a studio, there simply aren't that many of them there. It's likely that people with more SOs than you are booking a few extra days and swallowing up the availability (e.g. a 9-night stay allows you to book a particular week 2 days earlier than a 7-night stay).

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure about studios specifically, but I found that making a SO's booking at exactly 8mos out was pretty hard to do -- it took me more than a week of trying (at exactly midnight EST at 8mos out, adjust that to your time zone!) to finally snag something.

What's happening is that someone is beating you to the booking -- when I was searching, I would usually see 2 or 3 units available, and they'd all be gone within the first minute of availability.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Clarification: Do you know that you can reserve ONLINE, the night before the phone lines open at 12 midnight, Eastern?

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification: Do you know that you can reserve ONLINE, the night before the phone lines open at 12 midnight, Eastern?

Yes, which would be 10PM my time. I was seeing studios available for Jan 23, 24, and 25 checkin, so tonight at 10 I was going to try book the 23rd checkin. These were all available 2 days ago, and when I checked this morning they were all gone. Next availability in a studio isn't until Feb 9, 2016.

The same thing happened with availability for Jan 18, 19 and 20th. They all disappeared on May 17th.

These would all have to be booked by people who own there since they have disappeared before any SO reservations can be made correct?

I could book a 2 bedroom as there is availability with in 8 months, but a 2 bedroom is a little excessive for 2 people!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here's a thought: What if Starwood is pulling out inventory at the very end of the home resort reservation period for their usage. They could have their system programmed to do this:

-weeks deposited in II by owners
-weeks converted to Staroptions by owners
-weeks converted to Starpoints by owners

This is inventory that belongs to Starwood. So they could be letting owners make home resort reservations right up until the 8 m. Staroption window opens, and then pulling out the inventory that belongs to Starwood.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Or as I said before, people could be booking longer reservations to get a jump on SVN availability. Remember, you can book 8 months and 2 weeks in advance if you're making a 21-day reservation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Or as I said before, people could be booking longer reservations to get a jump on SVN availability. Remember, you can book 8 months and 2 weeks in advance if you're making a 21-day reservation.

Yes - but you wouldn't do that 1-2 days before the 8 mo. mark - you'd do it a week or 2 weeks before the 8 mo. mark.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I said much the same a year ago.

I'm sure you can find the thread with the right search.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432329746723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432329746723.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 35

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Yes - but you wouldn't do that 1-2 days before the 8 mo. mark - you'd do it a week or 2 weeks before the 8 mo. mark.

Not true. I regularly prepend a few days to my desired week in order to ensure I get the dates I want.

mcernik

Reaction score
Yeah i tried booking St John for this past February, but everyday was gone a day or two before the 8 month window opened up. Ended up just going to Westin Lagunamar lol.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I was hoping that availability at WSJ would open up with the new building. It's really the only reason I'm hanging onto my little SVV unit.

So how would you compare WLR to WKV? I have leftover SOs that I must use this year and was thinking about a girls' trip to Cancun.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I'd highly recommend a girl's trip to Cancun. I did one this past February. I was pleasantly surprised. We had owned there for years but never visited. It's a nice resort plus the mall across the street has dining options.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that availability at WSJ would open up with the new building. It's really the only reason I'm hanging onto my little SVV unit.

So how would you compare WLR to WKV? I have leftover SOs that I must use this year and was thinking about a girls' trip to Cancun.
Flying from where.
CUN is a great organized airport.
Hotel transfer is easy, or rent a car. Parking is free.
WLR is nice and the mall opposite and stores and restaurants nearby are great.

A good spot for a girl's trip though if you want nightclubs you will be heading to a different hotel. Though the fire pit and cocktails looked nice.

Pina Coladas are made properly there now.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was able to snag a WSJ 10/24 studio at exactly midnight with Star Options. Of course that is low season.