• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie - Looking to Buy Resale

ChrisK23

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a while and I think I'm ready to finally get the ball rolling for a purchase. My wife and I are interested in a 2 bedroom at the Sheraton Vistana Villages, Key West or Bella phases (non-high week, we prefer to go when the kids are in school, haha). I wonder if someone can answer/confirm some of the questions I have:

1) In purchasing a week at either phase, I can use my star options to stay at other resort locations correct? We would probably stay at Vistana every other year (more so when the kids are older).
2) Is one phase preferable over the other? It appears that the Bella phase cost less on the resale market but had higher maintenance fees?
3) I've been poking around SMTN, reading these boards it seems people had mixed reviews when selling their timeshares on that site; any thoughts/experiences on the purchasing side of things? Is it an easy process? I've read that they just connect the buyer and seller, and then I also read that they took care of everything (supplied a closing agent)?
4) Any other resale sites to recommend? I tried Redweek and SMTN appeared to have better deals for what I was looking for.
5) How much are typical closing costs? Are we talking a couple hundred?
6) I thought I read that the fee to roll over star options was around $100, is that correct? Can you roll over multiple years? Is there a limit to how many points you can roll over?
7) Are there any benefits/disadvantages to having a floating week?

Any other thoughts, opinions, or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Sorry if this is under the wrong section)

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a while and I think I'm ready to finally get the ball rolling for a purchase. My wife and I are interested in a 2 bedroom at the Sheraton Vistana Villages, Key West or Bella phases (non-high week, we prefer to go when the kids are in school, haha). I wonder if someone can answer/confirm some of the questions I have:

1) In purchasing a week at either phase, I can use my star options to stay at other resort locations correct? We would probably stay at Vistana every other year (more so when the kids are older).
2) Is one phase preferable over the other? It appears that the Bella phase cost less on the resale market but had higher maintenance fees?
3) I've been poking around SMTN, reading these boards it seems people had mixed reviews when selling their timeshares on that site; any thoughts/experiences on the purchasing side of things? Is it an easy process? I've read that they just connect the buyer and seller, and then I also read that they took care of everything (supplied a closing agent)?
4) Any other resale sites to recommend? I tried Redweek and SMTN appeared to have better deals for what I was looking for.
6) I thought I read that the fee to roll over star options was around $100, is that correct? Can you roll over multiple years? Is there a limit to how many points you can roll over?

Any other thoughts, opinions, or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Sorry if this is under the wrong section)

We purchased both an annual Bella and a Key West 2 bdrm (non-lockoff) Gold Season last year for $1,000. (Bella was $1000. When I posted on TUG with a question, another owner offered the Key West for $0.) Each had 67,100 SOs which we used this year for two weeks in Kaanapali North studio in January. The SOs are good within the SVNetwork.
We have stayed in Bella but not Key West and the MFs are close to the same. A lockoff generally comes with 81,000 SOs I believe. We used the TUG Marketplace to find the first unit. It was offered at $1500 and we made a lower offer. We used LT Transfers for the closing and it was about $200+/- to close and we reimbursed for 2014 MFs. We banked the SOs to 2015. The charge is $95 and they are banked actually for two years to provide flexibility. Not sure if there is a limit for banking.
If you are serious about resale, communicate with some owners with units to sell on TUG Marketplace. We have found a wide range of prices for similar units on the site. Some people just want to be rid of their MFs; others appear to want what they paid and have an unrealistic view as to resale prices.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

Yes, if you buy in either of the phases you mentioned, you will be able to exchange to another SVN location with your SOs, even if you buy from a third party.

I've bought and sold 3 SVV units. One I bought on ebay. Sold that one on Redweek. Bought the third on eBay again, or possibly My Resort Network or SMTN. Forget. Easy as pie. Just use a reputable escrow service and closing agent, then you should be fine. Generally, eBay gives you the best prices, but you should only buy from a well regarded vendor.

There are a ton of places to look, including Tug Classifieds and Redweek. MRN and SMTN are others.

I've paid ~$500, with escrow. Probably can be done cheaper.

Yes, and you have to bank them by 5/31 of the use year. So if you buy now, it'll be too late to bank 2015's SOs. Banked SOs are good for 2 years, so folks who bank use year 2015 will have until 12/31/2017 to use them.

No limit to the amount you can bank.

Floating is much more desirable than a fixed week for most people (except people who want to travel during Christmas, etc.) Disadvantages are that for resorts that have seasons, you can only reserve your season during the Home Resort priority period of 8-12 months out. So if you buy a platinum week and want to travel during a gold week, you have to wait until 8 months out. And you'll probably want a platinum week to get the most SOs for the years you want to exchange.

With purchase of a mandatory resort, you also get complimentary membership in Interval International. SVV/SVR and very well regarded Marriott Orlando resorts often appear as Getaways in II, where you can purchase a leftover week for cheap (e.g. $500/week for a 2 bdrm). I'd take full advantage of that, especially if I could travel in shoulder season. Instead of booking my home resort, I'd bank my SOs (for exchanging to Hawaii, etc.), and book into my home resort via II Getaways.

Last edited:

ChrisK23

Reaction score
Wow, thank you both for your responses! It is very helpful to hear the experiences of others, I will have to check out the Tug Marketplace.

We are looking at the 67,000 SO units and wanted to roll over all of 2016's points into 2017 so we could take some family members to Harborside (we've actually been there twice using our friend's timeshare SO). And it looks like we will be able to do that if we can get a place by the end of the year.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Since the MF's are the same for the high reservation period and SO reservations are never not going to be available at Vistana, you might as well purchase in high season and get 81,000 SO's. If the price is significantly higher then maybe not but I think an even an extra $1000 initially would be worth having the extra flexibility of having the extra SO's for when you need them.

ChrisK23

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, unfortunately we bought one before I saw the posts suggesting getting the 81,000 SO. We got exactly what we were looking for on Ebay for $1.

The seller was timesharepro and we had to use their closing agent GO Properties (which is the seller), but after doing some searching they appear reputable. Closing costs are higher than what I've read but even at an extra couple hundred it beats spending a couple thousand.

Thanks for all the advice, we'll see how it turns out (maybe get another down the line depending on the outcome).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I bought from them - my 1st WSJ week back in 2006. Thru eBay - all worked out okay. Here now... born to drive left.