• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want to Buy Resale Timeshare - Questions

mimiladybug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying this timeshare.
http://sumdayvacations.com/proddetail.php?prod=SV35773-27127

I've seen on TUG where this seller is highly rated so I think I'm OK on that part. I own a 3BR weeks timeshare at Massanutten but want one in the Poconos with points and this one looks good to me but I'm not sure it is which is why I'm here. I've been a member of Tug for over a year and I've learned a lot but I still feel like a newbie. I'm trying to educate myself but, this isn't easy. My questions about buying this are numerous. I hope someone can help and knowing this is TUG, I know someone will. :D

1. The ad says "Red float week, 9-16, 44-50". What does this mean? With my Massanutten timeshare I have one week, the same week every year. I think this means I can try to get one of these weeks each year if it's available. Is this right?

2. The ad says RTU 2050. What does RTU stand for?

3. This is 40,200 RCI points. Can I do anything with that amount of points? I am currently a weeks owner so I know nothing about points.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, it's a float week and based on availability you can make a reservation
During any of those weeks.

RTU is right to use, so it's not a deeded ownership. You have a right to use
Through 2050.

As far as the points, I'm not in points either but that sounds in the middle tier
For points but someone with more experience on that can chime in.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. The ad says "Red float week, 9-16, 44-50". What does this mean? With my Massanutten timeshare I have one week, the same week every year. I think this means I can try to get one of these weeks each year if it's available. Is this right?

Your other T/S is a fixed week, As long as you are current on your maintenance fee obligation, at some defined interval in advance, usually 1 year, you can reserved week 9 a year in advance, the following week you can try for week 10, . . . . . and again at week 44 through 50

More simply put Spring ~ March through May excluding Memorial day weekend, and Fall through two weeks before Christmas

2. The ad says RTU 2050. What does RTU stand for?

Right To Use expiring in 2050, the ownership reverts to the HOA in 2050, Disney units are sold the same way

3. This is 40,200 RCI points. Can I do anything with that amount of points? I am currently a weeks owner so I know nothing about points.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I don't speak points, more reading required

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
as to what you can do with 40000 points, Go to rci.com, dont log in. go to the resort directory

the resorts that are RCI points resorts will be marked like this
rcipoint.jpg

on the left will be a link to the points grid.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are somewhat off season weeks. If you want to use the resort and that timeframe fits, no problem. I see RTU as a good thing. It is still 36 years away. If the t/s stays in your family that long, then it is just gone! The price also seems very good.

torontobuyer

Reaction score
Floating week has the advantage of flexibility. Downside is it's competitive with other "floaters".

My un-expert opinion. Fixed weeks are worth more, unless it's an off-season week.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Floating week has the advantage of flexibility. Downside is it's competitive with other "floaters".

My un-expert opinion. Fixed weeks are worth more, unless it's an off-season week.

This is not presented as an argument but just a different viewpoint.

I feel floating weeks are more valuable. I can go July 4th this year, Thanksgiving next and Christmas the year after or any other week I want. and yes I have to compete with others but I have never been told no when choosing weeks at my resorts.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The devil is in the details...

This is not presented as an argument but just a different viewpoint.

I feel floating weeks are more valuable. I can go July 4th this year, Thanksgiving next and Christmas the year after or any other week I want. and yes I have to compete with others but I have never been told no when choosing weeks at my resorts.

A valid observation and viewpoint in many instances, to be sure, but to provide the bigger and more complete picture regarding "floating" weeks it should also be noted that many floating week ownerships, including the one specifically cited by the OP in this very thread, have some seriously limited (and deeded) reservation and usage limitations. Being able to reserve only "off season" weeks certainly won't work for (or appeal to) everyone.

I feel obligated to reinforce this point because it's one that I admittedly missed in my fist timeshare purchase many years ago :eek:. It was a Florida winter vacation in my mind and plan, but being a "newbie" and having a less than forthright reseller I learned (too late) that weeks 5 through 15 were not an option for any "floating" week owner there to reserve. That fact was not reflected anywhere within the deed either, so my attempt at "due diligence" in that long ago purchase ultimately proved to be not diligent enough. The week was essentially worthless and useless to me and I soon gave it away for free. Fortunately, I had paid very little for it in the first place.

Then again, my humbling educational experience from long ago yesteryear may be something of a "apples to oranges comparison" in regard to the OP's cited listing, since there were no underlying "RCI Points" also associated with my yesteryear ownership --- only the (...to me, useless) non-winter "floating" week window itself.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
A valid observation and viewpoint in many instances, to be sure, but to provide the bigger and more complete picture regarding "floating" weeks it should also be noted that many floating week ownerships, including the one specifically cited by the OP in this very thread) have some very severely limited (and deeded) reservation and usage limitations. Being able to reserve only "off season" weeks certainly won't work for everyone...

You are absolutely right in the case of the OPs listed float period. I was speaking more in general and to post before mine.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the RCI points, the general feeling here is that the MF to Point ratio should be about a penny a point to be a 'good deal', I didn't look to see the MF on this one, but if it's much more than $400/yr, thats the deciding point. 40,000 points will get you a week in a decent resort, 1 BR pretty reliably. More in shoulder season, which is the underlying ownership here- even if the call it 'red'.

Remember that in RCI Points, it's either use the week, or take the points, so unless you are going to actually use the resort, it matters less where you own. The only important thing is the cost of the points. If you want the resort week, it makes less sense to buy one that's in points.

RCI gives you a Weeks membership when you have a Points account, but the Points account costs more and multi-year re-ups are not discounted.

I did look at the listing, and $690 MF is not a good deal for these points. But if you want this unit in these seasons, it's your decision.

Jim

Last edited:

mimiladybug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much!

This has been very helpful, I didn't know about the maintenance fees/points conversion, that was invaluable info. Thank you, I don't think this is the one for me, I will see if I find a better price. Thank you to all.

torontobuyer

Reaction score
Seems to me that almost all fixed week TS can be turned into a floating week in any given year you request. But a floating week TS can never be turned into a fixed week.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that almost all fixed week TS can be turned into a floating week in any given year you request. But a floating week TS can never be turned into a fixed week.

That's not quite how it works - with a fixed week TS you must pay to "exchange" your right of usage with someone elses usage to get a different time frame.

I have never heard of a resort that would let you "float" a fixed week usage without a fee involved.

You are generally correct in that it is very unlikely a floater can be converted into a fixed week. Some "floaters" do have an underlying fixed week (usually way off season) on their deed - sometimes for deeding purposes only.

1st rule of TS - be careful and know for sure which lilly pad you are about to step on

:rolleyes:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the RCI points, the general feeling here is that the MF to Point ratio should be about a penny a point to be a 'good deal', I didn't look to see the MF on this one, but if it's much more than $400/yr, thats the deciding point. 40,000 points will get you a week in a decent resort, 1 BR pretty reliably. More in shoulder season, which is the underlying ownership here- even if the call it 'red'.

Remember that in RCI Points, it's either use the week, or take the points, so unless you are going to actually use the resort, it matters less where you own. The only important thing is the cost of the points. If you want the resort week, it makes less sense to buy one that's in points.

RCI gives you a Weeks membership when you have a Points account, but the Points account costs more and multi-year re-ups are not discounted.

I did look at the listing, and $690 MF is not a good deal for these points. But if you want this unit in these seasons, it's your decision.

Jim

Yes, what he said ....

Here is a better one (on a points per basis)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-333-RCI-...41353732806?pt=Timeshares&hash=item20e956cac6