• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shark at OceanWatch Myrtle Beach

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a shark in knee deep water in front of the Marriott in Myrtle Beach yesterday.

The shark was close to the shore while it was swimming north. We were in the water when people started shouting for us to get out quickly. We didn't know why. However, hurrying out of the water may have been a mistake. It put us closer to the shark and could have led to the shark believing that we were distressed. When we got to the beach, the shark was about 15 feet away.

People were back in the water within a half hour.

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spotted a 3-4 footer in the surf at Oceanwatch a few years back. They catch small ones like that all the time around the pier.

Any idea how big the shark at Oceanwatch yesterday was?

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Dave
glad to hear you you and your family are ok. that was a close call! it must be New Jersey week at Oceanwatch. my family and I are also here but since we are staying in the back section we have spent the majority if our time at the woodsy and serenity pools. we have not gone to the beach except for a few early evening walks. We were planning on going swimming at the beach today but after my wife reads this i have a feeling we will stay at the pools. hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. :)

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
If this post were on Flyertalk the OP would have been asking what compensation Marriott should give for not having better control of their surroundings. At least 100,000 points! LOL! :)

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Ocean Watch

Dave

I am so glad your family is ok.

Cyn

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To all please be safe and have a Happy Fourth.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your regards. We never felt in danger since we didn't know what was going on until after we got out safe.

Attached is a picture of the shark.

Attachments

• Shark Myrtle Beach .jpg
    Shark Myrtle Beach .jpg
    73 KB · Views: 218

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Thanks for your regards. We never felt in danger since we didn't know what was going on until after we got out safe.

Attached is a picture of the shark.

Strictly by looking at the photo and approximating the distance between the dorsal and tail fins, I would estimate the shark was between 4' and 5' in length at a minimum. I would definitely head for the pool. :cool:

southernpat

Reaction score
Last day at Grande Ocean, Friday, 7/10, sitting at the edge of the beach..two sharks swam by about 25' out from the beach..fins breaking the water, then went under..lifeguards cleared the water for 30 minutes..then all went back to normal..it's kind of scary..but cool to see nature..from the beach!!