• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Park City, Summit Watch, Grand Teton, Yellowstone questions

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
A few questions for all of the National Park Marriott forum TUGgers out there. Am planning a late June trip (9 nights total) to Summit Watch in Park City next summer (first timer at Summit Watch). Since my wife has never been to Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Parks (and I was a kid the last time I was there), we were pondering a possible side trip up that way to see those. Realizing you could easily spend a week+ in the parks, we were thinking of just a couple of nights in that area. Was pondering staying in the Jackson, WY area, which appears to be about a 4 ½ hour drive from Park City.

Now for the questions….

Is Jackson, WY a decent area to spend the nights, considering driving time to get to parks, etc? I already looked into the possibility of booking one night at the Old Faithful Inn inside Yellowstone, but it appears sold out for June and July 2016 already. From Jackson, it looks to be approx. 2 hour drive to get to the Old Faithful area of Yellowstone (assuming no wildlife decided to set up camp on the road and stop traffic for an extended period of time, which I understand can occur). Overall thoughts on Jackson as a home base for Park touring?

Was thinking of using the last half of the initial day (after drive from Park City) to explore Grand Tetons National Park a bit, then back to hotel in Jackson for the night.

Then next full day, get up early and drive into Yellowstone for the day, then back to Jackson for the night. With a 2 hour drive to the Old Faithful area…does that give us enough time to see some good sites inside of Yellowstone before we would have to head back to Jackson for the evening?

Day 3….spend part/most of the final day in that area for exploring anything interesting in the Jackson Hole valley.

Thoughts?

Also, I welcome any suggestions on the Park City area in the summer too. I have Mirror Lake on my list based on some other posts I have seen.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Toppermom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am unclear how you plan to structure your time--Are you planning to go to Park City first and then to Yellowstone? Will you then return to PC for a few more days?

Do you have children and if so, what are their ages? It would be helpful to have more information to offer suggestions.

My family and I just spent a week in Park City 2 weeks ago. Have 4 adult kids with spouses and 7 grandkids ages 12 years-9 months. Everyone had a great time.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I am unclear how you plan to structure your time--Are you planning to go to Park City first and then to Yellowstone? Will you then return to PC for a few more days?

Do you have children and if so, what are their ages? It would be helpful to have more information to offer suggestions.

My family and I just spent a week in Park City 2 weeks ago. Have 4 adult kids with spouses and 7 grandkids ages 12 years-9 months. Everyone had a great time.

I'm flexible as to which days we would be where, right now. I currently have 9 nights reserved at Summit Watch, but I can tweak that. Depending on recommendations, I may drop a couple nights at the end and do the Wyoming trek at the end of the trip (which would be the 4th of July weekend which may make the parks crazy busy so that may not be the best option), or we may choose to book the Wyoming trek in the middle of the week, at which point I would either cut my SW ressie into two pieces....or alternatively, and perhaps the easiest to eliminate all the checking in and checking out, just keep it for the full 9 nights and not use it for the 2 nights we would be in Wyoming. The DC points rate in late June mid week at SW is very cheap, so it would likely be valued at around $50 a night at rental points value for our 1BR which may be worth it to keep things simple.

And as for size of our party.... just me and my wife on this journey.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're setting up for a lot of driving on those Yellowstone days. Speed limit is 45 and it's close to 120 miles to Old Faithful. So to go around the full loop and back to Jackson, it's 300 miles at 45mph in traffic. And believe me, you'll want to get out and see the sights. There are other lodges inside the park. They're expensive, but for next Summer, SOMETHING should be available. Barring that. look into a hotel in West Yellowstone MT.

By the time you load up in Park City and make the drive to Jackson, that 4 1/2 hours will seem like a lot more. You won't make it much past the Welcome center of Grand Teton before you head back to Jax.

I think you need more time for exploring the parks. I live about 5 hours from Yellowstone and when we go, I count on it pretty much filling a day with stops for fuel, meals, scenic photos, side trips, etc.

Jim

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
You're setting up for a lot of driving on those Yellowstone days. Speed limit is 45 and it's close to 120 miles to Old Faithful. So to go around the full loop and back to Jackson, it's 300 miles at 45mph in traffic. And believe me, you'll want to get out and see the sights. There are other lodges inside the park. They're expensive, but for next Summer, SOMETHING should be available. Barring that. look into a hotel in West Yellowstone MT.

By the time you load up in Park City and make the drive to Jackson, that 4 1/2 hours will seem like a lot more. You won't make it much past the Welcome center of Grand Teton before you head back to Jax.

I think you need more time for exploring the parks. I live about 5 hours from Yellowstone and when we go, I count on it pretty much filling a day with stops for fuel, meals, scenic photos, side trips, etc.

Jim

What if......

We added a 3rd night....First at Jackson, second in the park at Yellowstone Lake Hotel (recently renovated) and right on the loop, and 3rd back at Jackson. Does that make it a bit more palatable of a side trip with more time for signseeing in the Parks?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if......

We added a 3rd night....First at Jackson, second in the park at Yellowstone Lake Hotel (recently renovated) and right on the loop, and 3rd back at Jackson. Does that make it a bit more palatable of a side trip with more time for signseeing in the Parks?

Yes. We stayed a night in the Lake Hotel last Summer even though we left the TS at Island Park empty for a night. A bit spendy but it allowed for a tour in one of the restored 40's buses & guide and a boat trip on Yellowstone Lake. We saw wolves and it really had time to feel like we'd explored it.

Just clarifying. Lake Hotel's re-do is beautiful. but about $300/nite for a room without a telephone, TV or internet seemed dear. There is limited cell coverage in a few places in the Park, Don't expect any data coverage.

Jim

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Anybody have any personal experience staying at The Wort Hotel in downtown Jackson.

http://www.worthotel.com/

It looks like a neat old historic hotel...right in the center of town.

Toppermom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing what you and your wife like to do, I will offer a couple of thoughts based on what my family just enjoyed:

White water rafting
horseback riding
bike riding
hiking
swimming
taking the lift to the top of the mountain and walking down
I wanted to do the tour of dining offered by the SW, but waited too long to book it for the only night I had available. Don't know how good it was, but there are LOTS of good restaurants in PC, so I would guess it was good.

Park City is wonderful in the summer. I hope you have a great time.

Nyla

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any personal experience staying at The Wort Hotel in downtown Jackson.

http://www.worthotel.com/

It looks like a neat old historic hotel...right in the center of town.

It is indeed an old historic hotel. The bar is crusted with silver dollars and antlers and pelts adorn the walls. Decor is decidedly 'Cowboy- but so is the rest of Jackson. I can't speak to the rooms, but would surmise they are in keeping with the rest of the place. We've stayed at Jackson Town Center TS a block away.

I'd stay there over some chain motel. By far.

Last edited:

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been able twice to get 2 nights at one of the lodges in Jackson Hole about 2 weeks before the time period we wanted. I think they have a 2 week cancellation period so sometimes rooms do open last minute. We were spending about 10 days in Park City and then left in the middle of the trip for 2 nights. We only visited Grand Teton National Park. Yellowstone was a little far for just 2 or 3 days. If I remember right driving time was 3-3.5 hours not 4.5- there is back way out route 80 and then north instead of going up 15.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I-80 to Evanston WY to WY-89 & US 89 to Jackson. About 255 mi/ 4.5 hours (all weather 2 lane). Add another hour to take I-15 (freeway) No brainer to me.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did this exact trip for 14 days last summer. First two weeks of July. Here's what we did. Firstly, stayed at Marriott's Mountainside for 6 days.Hiked every day , including Mirror Lake and Sundance. Then drove to Idaho Falls (stayed in a Marriott on e certificate) for overnight.That was a 4 hour drive. Next morning drove through Jackson Hole (ate lunch there) and on to Grand Teton Lodge where we stayed for 2 nights. This was an absolute highlight of our trip. Explored, hiked, kayaked in the Grand Tetons for 2 days. From Idaho Falls it took most of the day to get to Grand Teton Lodge because we stopped to explore Jax and traffic was slow entering the park. From Grand Teton Lodge, we drove to Yellowstone. This took longer than expected. A few hours. Drove to Old Faithful Inn where we stayed for 2 nights. Disappointing stay but amazing location. If you don't (can't) stay there then at least do the free tour which they hold several times a day in the lobby. We explored the southern part of the park and drove north west as well. Took most of the following two days to explored areas within two hours of the Old Faithful entrance. After two nights we moved up to Gardiner, Montana and stayed at the Travelodge. This was only 5 miles outside of the park. A fabulous location and explored many of the different areas of the park from that Gardiner entrance. We loved that too. We got to see many of the highlights in the 5 days we were in the park. We drove out of the park on our last day and drove back to Jackson Hold. We stayed at the Wort hotel for our last night. Totally Splurged and stayed in the Cowgirl Suite. this is a 2 bedroom suite. Extremely high end and luxury.We were with our two twenty somethings. Had the most amazing meal and celebrated with a great bottle of wine. All in all, this was a perfect vacation and we all feel it was one of the best vacations we've ever had!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
We did this exact trip for 14 days last summer. First two weeks of July. Here's what we did. Firstly, stayed at Marriott's Mountainside for 6 days.Hiked every day , including Mirror Lake and Sundance. Then drove to Idaho Falls (stayed in a Marriott on e certificate) for overnight.That was a 4 hour drive. Next morning drove through Jackson Hole (ate lunch there) and on to Grand Teton Lodge where we stayed for 2 nights. This was an absolute highlight of our trip. Explored, hiked, kayaked in the Grand Tetons for 2 days. From Idaho Falls it took most of the day to get to Grand Teton Lodge because we stopped to explore Jax and traffic was slow entering the park. From Grand Teton Lodge, we drove to Yellowstone. This took longer than expected. A few hours. Drove to Old Faithful Inn where we stayed for 2 nights. Disappointing stay but amazing location. If you don't (can't) stay there then at least do the free tour which they hold several times a day in the lobby. We explored the southern part of the park and drove north west as well. Took most of the following two days to explored areas within two hours of the Old Faithful entrance. After two nights we moved up to Gardiner, Montana and stayed at the Travelodge. This was only 5 miles outside of the park. A fabulous location and explored many of the different areas of the park from that Gardiner entrance. We loved that too. We got to see many of the highlights in the 5 days we were in the park. We drove out of the park on our last day and drove back to Jackson Hold. We stayed at the Wort hotel for our last night. Totally Splurged and stayed in the Cowgirl Suite. this is a 2 bedroom suite. Extremely high end and luxury.We were with our two twenty somethings. Had the most amazing meal and celebrated with a great bottle of wine. All in all, this was a perfect vacation and we all feel it was one of the best vacations we've ever had!

Thanks for the great summary. Although ours will be a bit more compressed, it sounds like we are on the right track. I booked the Wort for Tuesday night, the Yellowstone Lake Hotel for Wednesday night and the Wort again for Thursday night of our trip....then back to Summit Watch for a couple nights again before we return home.

Other than Mirror Lake and Sundance as mentioned above, and Temple Square in Salt Lake, any other sights in the Park City area that shouldn't be missed and/or tours that are worth booking in that area?

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Biking at Deer Valley Resort, Olympic Park, Stewart Falls Hike and Chairlift, Ball Falls hike. All of these are in the Park City area. The rest of our activities were in the Grand Teton/Yellowstone area.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a very similar short get-a-way in late September (2 nights in Park City at the Waldorf, and 3 nights at The Rustic Inn in a spa suite in Jackson- you may want to consider The Rustic Inn's new spa suites; they are new and absolutely gorgeous and relatively reasonable for Jackson). We are planning to focus primarily on the Tetons. It has been years since I went to Yellowstone, but as I remember, was disappointed with the scenery (relative to the Tetons-I know many will disagree with me). We may or may not get to part of Yellowstone, but will not attempt to cover a lot of it, as you really need more time and need to stay closer, probably in the Park.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
The Rustic Inn in a spa suite in Jackson- you may want to consider The Rustic Inn's new spa suites; they are new and absolutely gorgeous and relatively reasonable for Jackson.

They do look fabulous....but $649/night during my window of time for a Spa Suite with Balcony....yikes!!!

That said, I was intrigued enough by the Rustic Inn that I did book a Superior Creekside Cabin for our final night in the Jackson Hole area, rather than staying at the Wort for both nights in Jackson. I'm always up for trying new digs and the creek side setting was too hard to pass up. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rates are much more reasonable during the off season.

They do look fabulous....but $649/night during my window of time for a Spa Suite with Balcony....yikes!!!

That said, I was intrigued enough by the Rustic Inn that I did book a Superior Creekside Cabin for our final night in the Jackson Hole area, rather than staying at the Wort for both nights in Jackson. I'm always up for trying new digs and the creek side setting was too hard to pass up. Thanks for the idea.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great summary. Although ours will be a bit more compressed, it sounds like we are on the right track. I booked the Wort for Tuesday night, the Yellowstone Lake Hotel for Wednesday night and the Wort again for Thursday night of our trip....then back to Summit Watch for a couple nights again before we return home.

Other than Mirror Lake and Sundance as mentioned above, and Temple Square in Salt Lake, any other sights in the Park City area that shouldn't be missed and/or tours that are worth booking in that area?

I like to walk up the Lake Mary/Catherine Pass Trail. It's about 4.5 miles round trip to the pass and back but the alpine lakes(there are three) start at about one mile along the trail. It's a steep one so bring some water and a lunch for the lakes. Also a light jacket for longer stops.

http://www.summitpost.org/lake-mary-catherines-pass-trailhead/650677

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
I would recommend a minimum of four days to cover both the Tetons and Yellowstone. That will even make for a quick trip. We usually make it a week: two or three days in Yellowstone and four or five days in the Tetons.

We like to base ourselves at the Grand Teton Lodge and Old Faithful Inn. Both are well-located in their respective parks for what most folks like to do and see. Most geological phenomenons in Yellowstone can be seen in a long two days meaning a two-day hotel stay in the park works well. Staying at Grand Teton Lodge gives you the opportunity to see the town of Jackson when you want without excess driving to & from there each day. My feeling is that you can easily see anything you need to in Jackson on the way to the parks and see what you may have missed some other time during your stay.

My experience is that rooms regularly open up at the Old Faithful Inn but you have to keep trying. It's not unlike our continuous searches in II or through MVCI. Many rooms are probably booked already by tour operators who later release them.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
... it allowed for a tour in one of the restored 40's buses & guide and a boat trip on Yellowstone Lake.

Is THIS the old bus tour you did....or a different one? If this one, did you enjoy it?

Was also looking at the boat tour on Yellowstone Lake ...did you enjoy that??

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is THIS the old bus tour you did....or a different one? If this one, did you enjoy it?

Was also looking at the boat tour on Yellowstone Lake ...did you enjoy that??

Yes, it was that old bus tour. DW and I were the only passengers. It was wonderful. We could stop anywhere we wanted for as long as it took.

And the boat tour of he lake was fairly OK. We went to the island where the only steamboat that had brought people to the Lake Hotel had burned. Little remains. And of course, there are thermal features under the lake water just like on land. If geology interests you, this and all of Yellowstone's Caldera are endlessly fascinating. Otoh, if it's just a 'boat ride', it wouldn't mean much.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Just bumping this thread as our trip is less than a month away.

Always open to last minute ideas of places not to miss or restaurants too good to pass up.

Just my wife and I traveling on this trip.

To summarize itinerary...

• Summit Watch for 5 nights (one of those days in Salt Lake City visiting Temple Square, etc)
  • Trek to Jackson Hole, WY one night at Wort Hotel
  • One night in Yellowstone at Lake Hotel (including dinner and then Lake Butte sunset historic bus tour)
  • One night back in Jackson Hole at Rustic Inn Creekside Cabins
  • Trek back to Park City for final 2 nights back at Summit Watch

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are doing "50 days for 50 years" starting Aug 4 in Seattle. After Zion,Bryce and Moab we are spending a week at Summit Watch to slow down. We are spending three nights in most places. We leave Park City and spend three nights in Jackson(most expensive B&b on our trip). We are then spending two nights in
Gardiner Mt at north of Yellowstone and one night at Ole Faithful before moving on to Cody. I have planned this trip myself and have done extensive research on travel times, travel conditions and lodging. I'll let you know if we make it to 51.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I like to walk up the Lake Mary/Catherine Pass Trail. It's about 4.5 miles round trip to the pass and back but the alpine lakes(there are three) start at about one mile along the trail. It's a steep one so bring some water and a lunch for the lakes. Also a light jacket for longer stops.

http://www.summitpost.org/lake-mary-catherines-pass-trailhead/650677

Fairwinds... Thanks so much for this hiking recommendation. We made this trek this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. Still had some snow across the trail in several spots, but nothing you couldn't cross over so we made it all the way to the pass and back. Some really amazing views along the way.

Here's a great panoramic shot of Lake Mary.

img