• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time at Lake Tahoe

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Timber Lodge in the middle of September. I was wondering what I should expect for weather. Are there things that you shouldn't miss. We would like to go to Yosemite is it doable as a day trip. lastly does anyone have any restaurant recommendations. Thanks in addvance

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We are going to Timber Lodge in the middle of September. I was wondering what I should expect for weather. Are there things that you shouldn't miss. We would like to go to Yosemite is it doable as a day trip. lastly does anyone have any restaurant recommendations. Thanks in addvance

Highs should be in the mid-70's, lows at night in maybe the mid-30's.

sgtdesi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be a pretty long day trip. Figure 3 1/2 - 4 hours to the valley (at least). Then driving back. There's so much to see there too. If you like driving, it is a pretty drive.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yosemite wouldn't be a bad (long) day trip. It's about an hour and a half down 395 to Lee Vining (you can take Geiger Grade down to 395, or if you are adventurous, take 89 for a more direct but slower winding path). From Lee Vining, it is another good hour + to the Valley. Do stop at Tuolumne Meadows right inside the East gate. It's a nice walk over a boardwalk to stretch your legs.

There is a LOT to see and do in Yosemite Valley. You can't do the park justice in just one day, but if I had only the one day, I would hike the mist trail, take the very short flat hike to Angel Falls, and drive up to the Lookout. Try to have lunch at Awhahnee, beautiful setting and nice food at fine dining prices. Heading back to Tahoe at night, take it very slow between the East gate and Lee Vining. There is a killer drop-off off the right shoulder.

At Tahoe, pack a warm sweater or medium jacket, it will get cold at night in September. If you drive to Homewood about 45 minutes up the California side, there is a boat rental place there that could give you a fun few hours. If it is warm in the day, drive up to Tahoe City and do the float tube thing. Once you are up there, t is only a few more minutes to Olympic village.

There are bicycle rentals in various places around the lake, and good bike trails along most of the lake.

If you want to fish, I'd recommend heading down the Truckee River and not fishing the lake itself. The lake was invaded with stocked mackinaw decades ago, and they tend to lie too deep for shore fishing.

Edit: On second thought, Angel Falls should be a trickle by September. Still, it's an easy hike and wouldn't waste more than 30 minutes of your time round trip.

There is also a small Sequoia grove, Tuolomne Grove, off 120 between the East gate and the Valley. Not a bad hike, but plan for about an hour if you decide to do it. It drops about 500 feet in the mile hike from parking. Mariposa Grove is much more stunning, but would be a prohibitive drive for a few-hour day trip, and is guaranteed to be more crowded.

Edit again: it is actually 2 hours to Lee Vining unless you drive like I do.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
There are lots of good restaurants in S. Lake Tahoe. The timber lodge will give you a blue Marriott activities card that is good for a 10 or 15% discount at certain restaurants. It's not a bad idea.

We often go to the Chart house which is technically in Stateline Nevada. Good food and acceptable prices. We also enjoyed the restaurant at ski run Blvd. I forget the exact name but is something like Rive Rio. It is right on the lake and it has a great view at sundown Twice we have eaten at the fire and ice restaurant in the Marriott complex and were very disappointed. (over-priced, over-cooked, mixed reviews and poor service IMHO. But YMMV).

Last edited:

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yosemite wouldn't be a bad (long) day trip. It's about an hour and a half down 395 to Lee Vining (you can take Geiger Grade down to 395, or if you are adventurous, take 89 for a more direct but slower winding path). From Lee Vining, it is another good hour + to the Valley. Do stop at Tuolumne Meadows right inside the East gate. It's a nice walk over a boardwalk to stretch your legs.

Edit again: it is actually closer to 2 hours to Lee Vining unless you drive like I do.

We just made the drive from Lee Vining over the Tioga Pass (SR 120) down to the Yosemite Valley floor a couple of weeks ago. The drive 1-way was almost 2 hours. It can be even worse if you get caught behind some slow-moving RV's on those hairpin turns.

Instead of doing Yosemite as a day trip from Tahoe (4 hour drive each way), I would suggest doing it as a 2-day trip, and stay 1 night overnight in Yosemite Valley. That will give you the first afternoon to bike or hike and do some exploring on the valley floor. You can enjoy dinner, a ranger program or something fun in the evening. Next morning, wake up and enjoy the cool crisp air -- take photos, have a great breakfast and do more biking, hiking, or float on tubes in the Merced River (bring your own). Then, start heading back to Tahoe later that afternoon while it is still daylight (5pm?), because the Tioga Pass is not a drive I would ever want to make in the dark!

We stayed 1 night in Curry Village. They have a choice of canvas tent cabins with linens provided, or wood-sided tent cabins. We spent one night in the wood cabins with bath, and really enjoyed it. There are usually plenty of units available 1-week out, because Yosemite reservations are fully-refundable as long as people cancel 1-week prior to check-in. There always seem to be plenty of last-minute cancellations.

The overnight trip to Yosemite was one of the great highlights of our 1-week timeshare exchange to June Lake (close to Lee Vining on the 395). Sure, we missed 1-night mid-week, of our timeshare exchange, but the experiences and beauty of Yosemite National Park more than made up for it.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/curry-village-photo-gallery.aspx

--- Rene

Last edited:

Toppermom

TUG Member
Reaction score
For restaurant suggestions:

I second the Chart House.

Also:

Freshies (outdoor seating may still be open) and Sprouts for casual fare offering vegetarian and vegan choices if that is of interest. Both are on a "must do list" for me.

Cafe Fiore for a more upscale Italian fare. Pricey but good.

Naked Fish for sushi or seafood

Riva Grill--great view.

One one occasion, we did the Sunset cruise. Lovely and food surprisingly good for that kind of thing.

Hope that helps.

Nyla

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Re Yosemite: It's doable as a day trip, but I would save the Valley for another trip. Head down 395 (fast and easy driving) and then up to Tioga Pass and spend your time in Tuolumne Meadows climbing on the domes and walking the trails. The fall color will be starting in the high country making 395 a spectacular drive.
At Lee Vining, Mono Lake is worth a stop. There is a visitor center just before town that is worth a stop where you can get park passes is needed (along with good bathrooms).

If you go through the park, recognize that the drive back to Tahoe on the west side is long; lots of curvy roads and small towns to go through. The Valley will be crowded and I would be surprised if there is ANY water in ANY of the waterfalls; save it for a spring trip.

Sue

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree 100% with Renee - it's too far for a day trip, you won't have enough time to see much, and you don't want to have to drive back in the dark.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with Renee - it's too far for a day trip, you won't have enough time to see much, and you don't want to have to drive back in the dark.

I guess we all need some qualifying info from burg1121 to give the best advice:

1: what is the fitness/stamina level of the least fit person in your party? Will there be children in tow?
2: how long are you in Lake Tahoe?
3: Would this be your only foreseeable opportunity to see Yosemite?

At my age now (53), and with a 6 year old, I probably wouldn't do it as a day trip. In my twenties, I would have left at 4 AM to hit the valley by 8, spent the day, and headed back at 8 PM. Then again, in my twenties, I drove straight through from Las Vegas or SoCal to Oklahoma regularly.

Whether it is a valid day trip is all relative to your activity level and urgency to see it.

If it isn't Labor Day Weekend, Curry Village is excellent advice. Especially if you are in Tahoe for a week and you don't foresee another trip out to the area. Honestly, if you could stay in Curry for two nights, making 5 nights in Tahoe and 2 in Yosemite, that would be a really good spread of your time. Tahoe is gorgeous, but after a couple days every day will be the same there, and Yosemite could be a welcome diversion in the middle of your stay. I think it's around a hundred bucks a night for a tent cabin.

She is probably right about the falls being completely dry, I have not actually been there in September.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort 3 years ago. Here are some of the restaurants we went to:

Riva Grill, next to Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. Good food & service.
Garwoods, 5000 N. Lake Blvd. Carnelian Bay; owned by same guy who has Riva. Stopped for apps; good. Caliente – 8700 N. Lake Blvd; Kings Beach – also owned by Riva.
Apres wine Co. – across from resort. Good.
Nepheles – up the road from the resort. Good.
Blue Angel Café – just before Nepheles. Tahoe Grill – 2543 Lake Tahoe Blvd. (out resort turn R). Scusa is owned by him. Scusa is next to Blue Angel Café.
Jakes on the Lake (limited menu) and Hacienda Mexican Restaurant Tahoe City.
Sunnyside is owned by the same company who owns Kimo’s, Leilani’s and Hula Grill in CA & Maui.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with others that think Yosemite is "too much" for a day trip from Lake Tahoe. It would be better, if you can, to add a two or three day trip to Yosemite onto the front or back of your Lake Tahoe trip to make the drive worthwhile.

+1 for Harrah's Forest Buffet

If you like seafood, the Fresh Ketch at the Tahoe Keys Marina is a good choice for food and views of the lake.

http://thefreshketch.com/

taffy19

Reaction score
I agree with others that think Yosemite is "too much" for a day trip from Lake Tahoe. It would be better, if you can, to add a two or three day trip to Yosemite onto the front or back of your Lake Tahoe trip to make the drive worthwhile.

+1 for Harrah's Forest Buffet

If you like seafood, the Fresh Ketch at the Tahoe Keys Marina is a good choice for food and views of the lake.

http://thefreshketch.com/
So true as Yosemite is one of the most beautiful parks in the west but visiting it in the spring would even be better yet IF it has rained during the winter.

Adding a few extra nights sound the best solution and so much easier on the driver.

Last edited:

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
So true as Yosemite is one of the most beautiful parks in the west but visiting it in the spring would ever be better yet IF it has rained during the winter.

Adding a few extra nights sound the best solution and so much easier on the driver.

Regarding a day trip to Yosemite, I remember this old adage from Ken Burn's documentary on national parks, when discussing Yosemite:

Q: What should I do if I have only one day to spend at Yosemite?

A: Cry.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the area like the others who have posted, but perhaps you could just take a few items in an overnight bag and stay in Yosemite for one night during your week. That will take up 2 days of your vacation, but at least you won't have the dangerous night drive.