• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My survey results

Jenn897

Reaction score
Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

Suggestion - copy the questions below, and start a new thread entitled "My Survey" or "What should I buy?," or something similar, and answer the questions in a NEW thread.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

Westin Kierland or Harborside Bahamas

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Visit home resort more than half time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Bahamas
Hawaii
Arizona
Florida
Myrtle beach

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 4

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? School Schedule

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? 10,000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Up to 1500.00

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are looking for a Staroption trader - a "mandatory" VSE resale with Staroptions.

-Harborside it too expensive to use as a trader - better to trade in.

-Westin Kierland Villas is one of 2 resorts that is often recommended as a trader.

-If you buy a timeshare outside VSE, you will have to use II for trading, and that is not a reliable way to get Westin Kierland Villas or Harborside, or the other VSE resorts.​

I am not sure if you saw this in your other thread, but here is a summery of the responses you got in the other thread. Please take a look and let us know what questions you have.

Here is a summary of what has been posted above:

You can buy a VSE timeshare with Staroptions on the resale market for a fraction of what the developer is asking.

But, there are only 5 VSE timeshares that have Staroptions when purchased on the resale market.

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

Generally, only 2 of them are recommended for purchasing for Staroptions, because the other 3 are too expensive:

1) Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only) - much cheaper to buy, but higher yearly maintenance fees. (Estimate - less than $1,000)

2) Westin Kierland Villas - more expensive to buy, but lower yearly maintenance fees. (Estimate - $10,000 for a one bedroom)​

With these Staroptions, you can make reservations at all of the VSE resorts, from 8-0 mos. before check-in, as available.

Some weeks cannot be reserved with Staroptions, like Christmas and New Years week at some resorts, and sometimes the prime holiday weeks like President's week, Easter week, and the 4th of July week aren't available with Staroptions - because the owners have already reserved them. But most non-holiday weeks are available right at 8 mos. before check-in.

This is exactly how you make a Staroption reservation with Flex Options - it's just a lot cheaper when you buy resale.

There are many places where you can buy timeshares on the resale market - websites like TUG, Redweek, and eBay are often mentioned.

There are also reputable timeshare brokers who sell timeshares. You will pay more if you buy from a broker, but they will walk you through the process and protect your from fraud and mistakes, which can be very helpful the first time.

67,100 Staroptions is only enough for a studio during high season at the most popular resorts. It is usually recommended that you start with at least 81,000 Staroptions which is enough for a 1 bdm. You can add more Staroptions later, if you like it.

When you buy a deeded timeshare, you will receive a legal deed in your name, registered with the County Registrars Office, just like when you buy a home.

Every year - around November, you will receive a bill for the next year's maintenance fee which is usually due in early Jan.

Also - if you haven't already done so, you should "study" the FAQ:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63224

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Given that you don't state the location you live in (important), but if Scottsdale Az (PHX) is easily accessible - and you state that you can spend up to $10K (and $1500 in annual fees) - consider a 1Bd Premium (81K SO) Plat+ season at Westin Kierland Villas (WKV) - in the VSE system (as DeniseM mentions). The MFs (and SVN fee) are ~$1000

or... for ~$17K get a 2Bd worth 148.1K SO (MFs ~$1500)

some of that depends on the 4 you travel with (young kids, or older kids/adults)

My WKV Plat+ weeks have treated me quite well.
YMMV

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Given that you don't state the location you live in (important), but if Scottsdale Az (PHX) is easily accessible - and you state that you can spend up to $10K (and $1500 in annual fees) - consider a 1Bd Premium (81K SO) Plat+ season at Westin Kierland Villas (WKV) - in the VSE system (as DeniseM mentions). The MFs (and SVN fee) are ~$1000

or... for ~$17K get a 2Bd worth 148.1K SO (MFs ~$1500)

some of that depends on the 4 you travel with (young kids, or older kids/adults)

My WKV Plat+ weeks have treated me quite well.
YMMV

+1

We own three units here. We have used them, rented them out profitably, and traded them using StarOptions. Very flexible. Very cost/effective.

Jenn897

Reaction score
I live in Chicago and my kids are young. 17k is too much for us to spend. If I buy Platinum in Westin Kierland will I have flexibility to go to Bahamas in summer or Kierland in summer? Of course I'm restricted with travel to spring break, christmas break and summer.

Jenn897

Reaction score
Where can I find the one bedroom premium plus for 1000.00 in MF? Everything I have seen is 1500 and over. Any help,would be appreciated thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Where can I find the one bedroom premium plus for 1000.00 in MF? Everything I have seen is 1500 and over. Any help,would be appreciated thanks!

The 1Bd Premium villa has a MF (and taxes) of $895 - the 2Bd is around $1500

all seasons have same MF
the Plat+ 1Bd-prem has 81K SO associated with it, and the 2Bd Plat+ has 148.1K SO

Will you be able to get high-demand weeks at top resorts? probably not - HomeResort owners will pick them up. If you need a high-demand week (e.g. Prez week) you need to buy at the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I live in Chicago and my kids are young. 17k is too much for us to spend. If I buy Platinum in Westin Kierland will I have flexibility to go to Bahamas in summer or Kierland in summer? Of course I'm restricted with travel to spring break, christmas break and summer.

If you buy a WKV deed, you will be able to make Home Resort reservations at 12 mos. before check-in at WKV, so you should be able to get most weeks, if you make your reservation as early as possible.

If you are making a Staroption reservation, (reservations at resorts where you do not own) you can make your reservations 8 mos. before check-in. There is availability at both resorts during the summer - but you have to be flexible about when you go, and make the reservation the second the reservation window opens at 8 mos. before check-in.

WKV will be much easier to get than Harborside in the summer, because AZ is HOT in the summer - the demand for WKV is Christmas through Easter - when people from the East Coast want to vacation some place warmer.

Christmas and Spring Break are much less likely - especially if your Spring Break is Easter week.

Have you been to Harborside? - it is an expensive vacation. Dining is super expensive. It's not a great destination for a family on a budget.

Last edited:

Jenn897

Reaction score
We just came back from the Kierland the other day and loved it. Loved it so much we bought there thinking it was for the Kierland not the Sheraton Flex. I already certified mailed my recession letter thanks to everyone on here! And yes it was HOT but not super crowded like spring would be. I've never been to Harbourside but want the option to be able to go either there or Kierland in the summer. I am just struggling on which one to buy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would not buy at Harborside - especially since you have never been there - the maintenance fee is much higher.

Here are the Harborside Maintenance Fees: http://www.eternaltides.com/SVN/SVNQuery.aspx

There are two ways to go about this:

-Buy at WKV, because it has a lower maintenance fee, a less expensive vacation, and you already know that you like it there.
-Make Home Resort Reservations at WKV at 12 mos.
-Use your Staroptions to trade into Harborside, and other Starwood resorts at 8 mos.

-Buy at Sheraton Vistana Villages, where you can buy for nearly free.
-Use the Staroptions to trade into Westin Kierland Villas and Harborside, and other Starwood resorts at 8 mos.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no rush to buy, so here is another option:

-Before you buy - rent from an owner and visit Harborside, and decide how much you like it and how often you can realistically afford to vacation there.

You can rent a small 1 bdm. that sleeps 4 for $1,500 - $1,750 - about the same as the maintenance fee.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the current level of uncertainty regarding SOs and the internal system after the ILG acquisition, I personally would not buy in Orlando, even if it's free, if you're not content visiting there all the time. It could be difficult to get rid of.

I would not buy at Harborside - especially since you have never been there - the maintenance fee is much higher.

Here are the Harborside Maintenance Fees: http://www.eternaltides.com/SVN/SVNQuery.aspx

There are two ways to go about this:

-Buy at WKV, because it has a lower maintenance fee, a less expensive vacation, and you already know that you like it there.
-Make Home Resort Reservations at WKV at 12 mos.
-Use your Staroptions to trade into Harborside, and other Starwood resorts at 8 mos.

-Buy at Sheraton Vistana Villages, where you can buy for nearly free.
-Use the Staroptions to trade into Westin Kierland Villas and Harborside, and other Starwood resorts at 8 mos.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Given the current level of uncertainty regarding SOs and the internal system after the ILG acquisition, I personally would not buy in Orlando, even if it's free, if you're not content visiting there all the time. It could be difficult to get rid of.

That's a good point - personally, I think that WKV is the best choice for her, but it may be a budget stretcher, and I was just trying to present the viable options.

I would hate to see her buy at Harborside - without visiting there first.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
curious,,,

Not knowing anything about SVE and their Staroptions I am curious as to whether Vistana would have the trading power to get into the other four resorts as it seems to be the ugly stepchild of the five. Would the OP have to get a 2BR or better just to trade into something smaller at their desired resort?

FWIW to the OP, if you've never been to St. John make sure you trade into it at least once. You will quickly forget about the Bahamas IMHO.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not knowing anything about SVE and their Staroptions I am curious as to whether Vistana would have the trading power to get into the other four resorts as it seems to be the ugly stepchild of the five. Would the OP have to get a 2BR or better just to trade into something smaller at their desired resort?

With VSE, there isn't really "trading power," because Staroptions have the same value, no matter what resort they come from.

Regardless of where she buys, she should buy a deed with the number of Staroptions she needs for the reservations that she wants. The size of the unit is not really important - it's the number of Staroptions that determines what she can reserve.

The advantage of buying at SVV is that you can buy mandatory timeshares there for little or nothing - as opposed to $10K for a one bdm. at WKV. So it's less expensive upfront.

The advantage of buying at WKV is that it has lower maintenance fees, and she already knows that it's a resort she wants to visit.

Jenn897

Reaction score

FWIW to the OP, if you've never been to St. John make sure you trade into it at least once. You will quickly forget about the Bahamas IMHO.

I have been to St. John's and LOVED it but buying something there is way out of my league. That is why I thought the Bahamas would be a better second option. We've been at Kierland recently and enjoyed it a lot so that might be th:zzz: most logical. I have no desire to visit Orlando frequently, maybe one time so I don't think that would be the best option for me.

MPERL

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ StarOptions very high

2br at Westin St John are now 20k StarOptions per night. I am so glad we did not buy 5 years ago when they were selling Orlando with 80kStaroptions and bragging that would get you a week in St John. They are crazy now.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
trading power

Another reason to consider Kierland is trading power outside of VSE. Kierland should get her much better options for Hawaii and Myrtle Beach than Vistana I would think.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another reason to consider Kierland is trading power outside of VSE. Kierland should get her much better options for Hawaii and Myrtle Beach than Vistana I would think.

If she wants to go to Hawaii and Myrtle Beach - she should trade within the VSN system using the Staroptions - not with an exchange company.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on the season and the days of the week you're staying. We are going in October for fewer SOs per night.

2br at Westin St John are now 20k StarOptions per night. I am so glad we did not buy 5 years ago when they were selling Orlando with 80kStaroptions and bragging that would get you a week in St John. They are crazy now.

dewdrops

Reaction score

Hi lizap and others: could you elaborate more on thr uncertainty wig SO and internal trade system impact on Orlando? It seems that the staroptions for the mandatory Orlando resorts would be more negatively impacted than at at other mandatory resorts in VSE?

Starwood/vistana seems to make things so much more complicated!

Thanks very much for your input.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi lizap and others: could you elaborate more on thr uncertainty wig SO and internal trade system impact on Orlando? It seems that the staroptions for the mandatory Orlando resorts would be more negatively impacted than at at other mandatory resorts in VSE?

Starwood/vistana seems to make things so much more complicated!

Thanks very much for your input.

If Staroptions go away, or get changed somehow by the new management company - it will impact all the resorts.

They are saying that since we don't know what will happen with Staroption trading, then the OP may be better off buying at a resort that they would like to visit regularly, rather than just buying for Staroptions.

In other words, they are suggesting that WKV is a better home resort than SVV.

There is nothing wrong with SVV, but Orlando is not everyone's cup of tea, and due to supply and demand, WKV has a higher value. (Orlando is way over built with timeshares.)

dewdrops

Reaction score
Staroptions uncertainty

Hi Denise,
I see. I just thought that maybe there was something particular about the Orlando resorts.

Thanks