• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tlc and rci points timeshare

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Its possible they are selling a RTU with a fixed MF for a specific number of years. There was one a few years back that did something similar with 3 year periods. Are they getting 80,000 points for $800 MF's? That would be an ok ratio, but one they really could get for under $300 out of pocket.

It isn't an uncommon story for people to have friends that you can't talk out of a bad deal. If they insist on going for the "deal" wish them well. Have them check back in here in about 2 years to see if they are still happy. Chances are by that time they will be looking to get out and may have already been scammed by a sales offer to get them big bucks for selling this if they only pay $1000-2000 upfront (and then they never hear from the advertiser again after paying unless it is to get more money out of them.

Be thankful that you didn't buy. Research different systems to see what might be good for you, knowing that TS is not for everyone and you might end up deciding it is better not to buy but to rent or use hotels as you need them.

Anonymous25

Reaction score
No they where pitched a not so great deal but are thinking they can tell TLC this is what I want in writing and if they don't do that they won't take it, I guess, but I was looking up Worldmark and there are some bad reviews on that company as well, I'm sure every company that does points of TS has a bad rap and bad reviews which is why I'm glad I found this site to discuss and get opinions on different options! :). I will show them the Worldmark too and have them take a look. But it's like every company you look at people say it's a scam, so it's hard to see what is actually a good deal and worth putting money into... Even when not buying from the developer.

What is a good amount of points to have if you want about 2 weeks of travel a year?

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No they where pitched a not so great deal but are thinking they can tell TLC this is what I want in writing and if they don't do that they won't take it, I guess, but I was looking up Worldmark and there are some bad reviews on that company as well, I'm sure every company that does points of TS has a bad rap and bad reviews which is why I'm glad I found this site to discuss and get opinions on different options! :). I will show them the Worldmark too and have them take a look. But it's like every company you look at people say it's a scam, so it's hard to see what is actually a good deal and worth putting money into... Even when not buying from the developer.

What is a good amount of points to have if you want about 2 weeks of travel a year?

Any developer/management company, in this case Wyndham, for Worldmark will always receive bad reviews WHEN people buy their timeshare directly from the developer. People who bought Worldmark resale are probably the happiest group of timeshare owners out there. I own VSE (formerly known as Starwood - Westin/Sheraton), Marriott and Worldmark. If I were to do it again, I would only own Worldmark and possibly buy a cheap Marriott trader.

Anonymous25

Reaction score
On the ones I've been looking at there is a monthly fee... Seems kind of pricey. What's the difference between that and a company like TLC that has a Maintence fee that is yearly? Seems that Worldmark is more expensive. But maybe you get better options in traveling?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the ones I've been looking at there is a monthly fee... Seems kind of pricey. What's the difference between that and a company like TLC that has a Maintence fee that is yearly? Seems that Worldmark is more expensive. But maybe you get better options in traveling?

Maintenance Fees keeps the property clean, utilities paid, managed, taxes paid. Think of living in a home you own - there are ongoing costs to keep it running - electricity, house cleaning, internet, property tax, garbage pick up, water etc. Worldmark has the lowest Maintenance Fees for a large resort group. My Marriott week (2BR) costs about $1550 in MF per year. Worldmark 10K points which would be able to book a 2BR for a week only costs a little over $700. Now, Marriott is 4 to 5 Star and Worldmark is about a 3-3.5 Star standard but the ones that I have been are very clean, comfortable and well stocked in the kitchen with utensils, salt and pepper.

TLC is selling crap, that's as much as I can tell you, even though I know nothing about. If it is a vacation club, then you really don't own anything and you will need to pay even more when you want to book a stay. There are lots of discount sites out there that you can pay the same when you stay. II and RCI (exchange companies) memberships will allow you to book Last Calls/Getaways for surplus weeks/shoulder season cheap.

Anonymous25

Reaction score
Yes I understand why there is a MF, but maybe the ones I just looked at were more expensive, I was just looking through them today, so I will do more searching but on some of them, but now I see why there was a monthly and annual on some of them, as the people had not paid it off yet. Sorry for the confusion.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand why there is a MF, but maybe the ones I just looked at were more expensive, I was just looking through them today, so I will do more searching but on some of them, but now I see why there was a monthly and annual on some of them, as the people had not paid it off yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Worldmark bills MF quarterly for those who bought resale (in my case $700+ divided by 4) and if bought from the developer, they are billed monthly and there is an extra fee that they have to pay for the Travelshare "priviledge".

Please go to wmowners.com if you want to learn more about Worldmark timeshares. I don't go to that site because I am too busy sitting on TUG. :)

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
RCI points

It's a timeshare liquidation company. LLC, TLC, and RCI but I haven't purchased yet, they say that the annual fees will never go up and it's fixed. You can use your points to travel all over as long .....? It was a pitch in las vegas at the plaza about 2 weeks ago, the one I went to.:shrug:

Thank you
Hi Anonomous 25 ,
I know from your more recent posts you have decided not to purchase this .
I thought I would add my thoughts to " the MF will never go up " concept .

Let us suppose that this VC club is still in business in 20 years and they never raise the annual cost of the 40.000 RCI points .

In 2016 let's assume those points will get you a Oct week at a mid level Wyndham in Orlando What do you think you are likely to get in 20 years ?
( ? - 3 nights at an ok resort on the Red Sea in Egypt )

RCI is owned by Wyndham and they control how many points an exchange will cost ( I realize there are additional factors / ie demand for a specific location etc )

Net Net -you were being sold a product that was designed to answer buyer objections ( what will it cost next year / 5 years ) What they do not wish to bring up is the concept of point inflation for usage .

We all know that airline xx still gives you 20 K point for a Chicago to New York flight . We also all know it used to take 4 round trips to get a free flight to Europe and now it takes 6 .

Anonymous25

Reaction score
Hi Anonomous 25 ,
I know from your more recent posts you have decided not to purchase this .
I thought I would add my thoughts to " the MF will never go up " concept .

Let us suppose that this VC club is still in business in 20 years and they never raise the annual cost of the 40.000 RCI points .

In 2016 let's assume those points will get you a Oct week at a mid level Wyndham in Orlando What do you think you are likely to get in 20 years ?
( ? - 3 nights at an ok resort on the Red Sea in Egypt )

RCI is owned by Wyndham and they control how many points an exchange will cost ( I realize there are additional factors / ie demand for a specific location etc )

Net Net -you were being sold a product that was designed to answer buyer objections ( what will it cost next year / 5 years ) What they do not wish to bring up is the concept of point inflation for usage .

We all know that airline xx still gives you 20 K point for a Chicago to New York flight . We also all know it used to take 4 round trips to get a free flight to Europe and now it takes 6 .

Hello, thank you for your input, I see what you mean, but isn't that with any company that you go to get points from like Worldmark that most are suggesting? That it could be it takes more points to get to xx in 2,5, 10years? I am still doing research on the whole point system with companies people have recommended on here. If you have any more advice on points and companies is appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Points and inflation

hi Anonymous 25 ,
Yes - all points systems are subject to inflation -like everything we buy.

I just wanted to show how the program you were pitched had been structured to overcome a common buyer objection AND avoid other up the road questions .

As I noted Airline program are well known for adding inflation to lower their redemption liabilities . Of course you can also use them to your advantage .
Ie fly Boston to Dublin because the distance is shorter than New York to London
and use fewer points - and start your vacation in Dublin -a win win .

Worldmark from what I have read on TUG is a very flexible system - in part because you can borrow next years or rent from other owners when you need extra in a particular year . I have read that a 10,000 point or larger package gets you a lower cost per point in MF compared to a 5 K or 6 K package that you will see regularly on eBay .That said many Worldmark owners like the low yearly MF of the 6000 point packages and use the flexibility option as needed .

With Wyndham points - Canterbury Gardens ( San F) has a low per point MF because it has a high per night point cost ( 300,000 for a week ) buy one of those and you can stay in some Wyndham in shoulder season for 6000 points a night Mon - Friday . This is potentially 50 nights at about $ 40 a night in a 1 bedroom suite with kitchen.
Canterbury Gardens are harder to find resale because of this .
Wyndham allows 3 day ( Fri- Sun ) and 4 day ( Mon - Fri ) reservations .
Just don't expect to stay in Feb in Pompano Beach as legacy fixed week owners and then points owners with resort specific ARP get first shot at peak snowbird weeks .

Good luck - you have found the right place to learn .
Click on " today's post " and read

Last edited:

jj_las_vegas

Reaction score
TLC Resorts Vacation Club

I recently went to the presentation at the Plaza also, here is what was offered:

- Points packages ranged from 10,000 - 100,000.
- 10,000 point package: $2,500, $1,000 title, $399 annual MF

I ended up with a sampler package similar to what is described above
- $1,295 for one year sample
- 7 night resort stay booked < 31 days prior to arrival for $169 exchange fee
- 2 bonus resort vacation certificates (bonus week for each $249 exchange fee)
- 2 night mini vacation to purchase 40,000 points
If I agree to purchase:
- 40,000 points for $2,500 (credit $1,295) with 4 bonus weeks
- MF was definitely more than .01 per point
- assume there will be a title fee of $1,000

After reading through the forum I'm on the fence if I should even proceed with the $1,295 sampler, as the MF seem to be way too high based on what has been described in this thread. The title fee also seems suspicious. Still I wonder why would they sell me and others a sampler package if ultimately folks will be dissatisfied and walk away without ever making a purchase? Perhaps it is possible to negotiate a better points/MF ratio and take advantage of the "club" approach as long as the risks/downside are clear?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
looks like the total cost you have listed is upwards of 5000 dollars plus maintenance fees?

1295+2500+1000?

that seems pretty ridiculous in terms of cost given you can pretty much have your pick from a myriad of timeshares for $0 on the resale market.

and in terms of a "sampler", $5000 bucks will get you between 2 and 10 vacations a year renting from existing owners...and doesnt cost you a dime or obligation of ownership.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think they will negotiate with the MF's without purchasing a higher points package. In a way this packages is a good way to try RCI points without the commitment, but it is at a high price. I would rescind if that is an option and do research before taking the plunge.

jj_las_vegas

Reaction score
Updated TLC post

Apologies I update my post to reflect the sampler better. Sample package is $1,295 with the option to purchase after 1 year. The $1,295 is credited towards the purchase price of $2,500. So basically the sampler is $1,295 for 3 weeks of vacations for $169, $249, and $249 fees each. I'm not sure if there is a feasible way to combine the 3 weeks but have not received membership info yet to confirm. Worst case scenario I'm out $1,295 if I decide not to purchase.

Appreciate the advice, sounds like the club option comes with risks but may be beneficial IF the MF can be negotiated. I imagine their MF rate is driven by the liquidated timeshares they actually own?

IF I was able to negotiate 40,000 points with $399 MF could this be a good deal as long as I accept the risk of doing business with a LLC that could disappear in the long run? Any idea why they would charge a title fee of $1,000?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea, because they want an extra $1000 from you....even you seem to consider it separate from the $1295 fee so clearly the strategy is working!

2500 deal, discounted to $1295+$1000 fee! (and we also arent even including the maint fee, or the apparent direct cost to you to book weeks)

jj_las_vegas

Reaction score
Vacation club?

So is there such a good thing as a vacation club? It seems like TUG is generally negative about vacation clubs which must mean there is no good one out there.

What would be a theoretical good price for a club selling 40,000 RCI points with MF $399, if it was feasible that a "club" would sell points with a MF at .01 per point?

How about 100,000 points with MF $1,000?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also the bonus cert reservations are going to last minute leftovers it isn't going to be good inventory. This is the type of inventory that RCI typically sells for $199-299 depending on the current sale or lack of sale.

To give you an idea I looked up California inventory that would be available using those $249 certs. There is availability in Palm Springs and Indo in September. In Orlando there is availability in 2nd and 3rd tier resorts.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not to mention you have access to these last minute getaways with any RCI membership....its not something exclusive to this (or any) travel club in the least.

jj_las_vegas

Reaction score
Vacation club?

I can't join RCI without owning a timeshare, so I don't understand how I have access to this. Many of the RCI points "for sale" have excessive MF that are more than .01 per point, obviously the owners can't give them away.

I guess the indirect answer is no, there is no value in joining a vacation club?

Your recommendation is to buy a time share with RCI point value of .01 per point or less, and either stay there or exchange it for the points.