• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey

Klkmak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, so kind of people to offer their help! I've read a lot on TUG, but I think if you have never owned a time share (like me) if is hard to fully understand, so here goes:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
Probably a beach area in Southern CA. Somewhere to escape TX heat in summer.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Trade about half. If I found one that was good for trading I could see trading more. I like the idea of points, but I guess you still have a home resort. From what I've read on TUG, Worldmark points sound perfect except I am looking for fancier type resorts.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Colorado (ski or summer), Mexico, Hawaii, Sedona, Europe. I could see going to Hilton Head or Florida (not Orlando) on a trade. 4) How many people do you usually travel with? between 2 and 6

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? One kid in college and one in HS so mostly school, but they are getting older and won't always be traveling with us... If go with points that could be broken into shorter than week periods, not always summer.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? If I had to I would, but have not done that in the past

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes, but love the idea of more flexibility

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $15,000, but could pay more for if what I determine is right for us cost more than that

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? No real budget but doesn't seem to make sense to pay more than about $2,500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes.

Thank you, I really appreciate any help!!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Only the hotel affiliated resorts are consistently 4-5 Star in quality:

Marriott, Westin/Sheraton, Hilton, and Hyatt

All of them have internal points systems.

I'd start by reviewing the resorts in Southern, CA, and see which ones appeal to you, focus on 2-3, and then ask specific questions about those resorts.

A link to the TUG reviews is posted in the red bar at the top of the page as Resorts and Reviews.

Go to Resorts and Reviews, then on the left, click on US WEST, and then California.

Also - To protect your privacy, you should change your user name to something generic that isn't your email address.

To do that, click on CONTACT BBS ADMIN at the bottom of the page, and send a message stating what you'd like it changed to.

Last edited:

Klkmak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn, I guess I'm new at joining/posting to forums too! I requested to change my user name.

Specific questions:

1) so you said the ones you mentioned associated with hotels all have internal points systems. So if I see an ad for a floating week that doesn't mention points, there will be internal points assigned for trading within that hotel's properties?

2) Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara: would this one be considered worth it for 1/2 use and 1/2 trade? How would I trade this property? Are there many other Four Seasons for Internal trades (I know there is one in Scottsdale, but I would not want to go there in the summer and I don't golf)

3) Ideas on Marriott Newport Coast Villa's. It looks nice for somewhat frequent use and MFs look low. Would it be good for trading?

4) Thoughts on Hyatt Highlands Inn for half use and half trade to other nice properties.

I would rent out a property before buying of course.
Hope those questions are not too broad. Insight on any one of them is appreciated!

3)

tc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff
Aquamarine Villa (Calif)
Wyndham Resorts Points
I have heard that Texans wanting to escape the Texas heat like to go to timeshares in Colorado and New Mexico because they are within driving distance (like 900 miles minimum). Is that your preference? If so I can suggest some timeshares there.

Tom

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the Worldmark resorts are actually pretty nice. We are in Marina, CA right now in a Worldmark, upstairs unit with an Ocean view, although many of the units do not have a view. :) We saw lots of dolphins near the shore today while we were walking along the beach.

2BR/2BA unit that is very nice and spacious - full kitchen, with grill on the balcony. Lovely large pool outside the unit.

It is on the same property as http://www.thesanctuarybeachresort.com/ Worldmark owns 33 units here.

We own at Marriott, VSE (formerly Starwood - Westin/Sheraton) and Worldmark. Worldmark is a great complement to the other resorts because they are at many cities and prime locations on the West Coast where the brand name hotels are not present. Some of the Worldmark resorts may not be great but I would say more than 70% of them are fabulous. One more thing to add is that in addition to a well appointed kitchen, they also include complientary packets of different spices in the kitchen.

Worldmark may not have many of the onsite organized activities for children which Marriott/Starwood have. I know they have movie rentals and such. We don't normally pay attention to organized activities as we don't travel with kids and we are quiet and low key people.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Darn, I guess I'm new at joining/posting to forums too! I requested to change my user name.

Specific questions:

1) so you said the ones you mentioned associated with hotels all have internal points systems. So if I see an ad for a floating week that doesn't mention points, there will be internal points assigned for trading within that hotel's properties?

Each resort system has a different points program, so it depends on the resort.

2) Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara: would this one be considered worth it for 1/2 use and 1/2 trade? How would I trade this property? Are there many other Four Seasons for Internal trades (I know there is one in Scottsdale, but I would not want to go there in the summer and I don't golf)

It's a very small system, and expensive - so personally, I'd only buy it to use it. In other words, it's too expensive to trade.

[3) Ideas on Marriott Newport Coast Villa's. It looks nice for somewhat frequent use and MFs look low. Would it be good for trading?

It would be a good choice - but you would trade it with Interval International - rather than with internal points. I will let a Marriot owner expand on that.

4) Thoughts on Hyatt Highlands Inn for half use and half trade to other nice properties.

Also a good choice - but not in Southern CA - it's in Carmel - mid-state - but a very nice location.

Klkmak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, very helpful! I will give Worldmark a look.

Yes TC I would like to hear about resorts in CO and NM that could work for me.

Appreciate it!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Specific questions:

The ones mentioned have both internal points systems as well as deeded weeks system. Trading of deeded weeks will need to be via an exchange company like Interval International where thousands of resorts are listed (some more available than others).

Zero zilch. There are Four Seasons Residence (fractional ownerrship) but I think resale weeks may not allow you to trade (I am not sure) but reports have been that it is impossible to trade into those fractional ownership properties. Trading will be through an exchange company like Interval International.

3) Ideas on Marriott Newport Coast Villa's. It looks nice for somewhat frequent use and MFs look low. Would it be good for trading?
They are all 2BR units, and cannot be locked off into 2 1BR units. You will be using the full 2BR to trade in Interval International. 2BR Lockoff units give you 2 trades, by depositing 2 1BRs or 1BR and 1 Studio, depending on the resort/week that you buy. If you want to trade in an exchange company, you may want to look for properties with Lockoff units.

Hyatt is a good system, in the resale market, they do include points which will allow for trading through their internal system

I would rent out a property before buying of course.
Hope those questions are not too broad. Insight on any one of them is appreciated!

3)

See response embedded above.

tc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff
Aquamarine Villa (Calif)
Wyndham Resorts Points
NM and Co Resorts

1)We stayed at Crown Point Condos in Ruidoso,NM this past May. Ruidoso is about 140 miles north of El Paso. Nice units overlooking the mountains and valleys. Week ownership only. A lot of Texans were there even though it was only May.

2) Wyndham Resorts has a point system and a variety of resorts. Two we have stayed at in Colorado are Wyndham Durango (hotel conversion) and Wyndham Pagosa Springs. The Pagosa Springs area is said to be popular with rich Texans. Wyndham Pagosa Springs seems to be a site built timeshare, with modern 2 bedrooms and lock offs. If you decide to go with Wyndham Pagosa Springs, be aware there are several neighborhoods with different maintenance fees. Go for the lowest. Time availability is good year round.

Tom

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
A few more questions...

Why are you interested in getting a timeshare?

Are you planning on taking 1 week vacation per year with this ownership or something else?

Do you anticipate your lifestyle staying pretty much the same for the next ten years - eg will you be able to afford this MF 10 years from now and will you also have the time and desire to travel in this manner?

Also, how close to the beach do you want/need to be? Do you want your home resort to be "walkable" or are you ok using a car to get to everything?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
One quick thing to mention is about Newport Coast Villas. My brother owns there and he has told me (and I have read in the Marriott forum)

Summer weeks are very hard to get. You need to be ready *exactly* at 6AM 12 months from the checkin day to get a chance at a summer week. People with multiple weeks get to book 13 months in advance which takes up a lot of the prime summer weeks (like 4th of July).

Also with Marriott, if you buy resale, the cost to convert to points may be significant.

I own 3 Marriotts and have stayed at many others. They are definitely 4-5 star resorts.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One quick thing to mention is about Newport Coast Villas. My brother owns there and he has told me (and I have read in the Marriott forum)

Summer weeks are very hard to get. You need to be ready *exactly* at 6AM 12 months from the checkin day to get a chance at a summer week. People with multiple weeks get to book 13 months in advance which takes up a lot of the prime summer weeks (like 4th of July).

Also with Marriott, if you buy resale, the cost to convert to points may be significant.

I own 3 Marriotts and have stayed at many others. They are definitely 4-5 star resorts.

4th of July was sold as a platinum plus (event week). It doesn't matter when a platinum owner calls, they can't get that week. Platinum weeks at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas are weeks 23-25 and 27-51. If 4th of July happens to fall over week 27 the platinum plus week will include that and the week 26 non holiday week would become part of the regular platinum calendar.

The 13 month priority only covers 50% of weeks so at opening time 12 months out at least 50% of the weeks should be available to be booked. Still it can be quite difficult.

Klkmak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice! Here are my answers to follow up questions.

A few more questions...

Why are you interested in getting a timeshare?

1) We've stayed in a few time share units (Westin Princeville, The Ridge on Sedona Golf, Marriott Grande Vista, Melia Paradisius) and it is so much better than a hotel room. 2) I think it would encourage me to plan a week vacation each year at a home resort if I can find the right one and visit places I may otherwise not visit.

Are you planning on taking 1 week vacation per year with this ownership or something else?
Ideally yes, the problem is my husband has a hard time getting away for a full week at a time. If I get a week, I would want one that can go Sunday to Sunday or Fri to Fri so he could at least take a long weekend. As time goes on, he will have more time to travel.

Do you anticipate your lifestyle staying pretty much the same for the next ten years - eg will you be able to afford this MF 10 years from now and will you also have the time and desire to travel in this manner?
Yes, and I plan to travel more when I become an empty nester. (Ownership may be the perfect excuse to do so)

Also, how close to the beach do you want/need to be? Do you want your home resort to be "walkable" or are you ok using a car to get to everything?

I would prefer walkable, but for instance Westin Princeville is not walkable really to beach, but that was fine since the resort is so nice. If the resort is walkable to a nice beach, I wouldn't care as much about it being a 5 star resort.

I plan to rent at different resorts and hopefully eventually buy. Since I don't necessarily want to book 13 months out, renting may be a better fit at least for now.

Thanks!