• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time share newbie - what to buy?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've planned our last two trips specifically around avoiding school breaks and going during low predicted crowd levels (the kids are homeschooled so we have the flexibility to go anytime). My MIL was able to use her BG points about 6 months in advance to trade into Saratoga Springs for September 2015 (we were able to fit in a 1 BR then because youngest child was under 3 and MIL got a separate 1 BR for herself). From what I've seen in researching, although Saratoga is limited to 4 people in a 1 BR, several other DVC resorts allow up to 5 people in a 1 BR but then maybe those resorts are a lot harder to get into.

Thanks for info! I found this listing for Bonnet Creek: 168,000 biennial odd year points for $800. Seems like a good deal?
http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshares/index/content/details/AdNumber/1872877/sale/

I think it's a little high for 84K points per year, and I think you'll find that points total lacking...they don't mention what they want in closing costs but if it doesn't say free closing, I'd assume you pay $400 transfer fee plus $300 closing....You could get Club Wyndham Access on EBay for a similar price per point, especially if you wait until late Fall. Bonnet Creek contract would get you in Bonnet Creek at 13 months the rest of Wyndham at 10 months. Club Wyndham Access will get you into Bonnet Creek and about 70 other resorts at 13 months. Plus, if you have Wyndham, your RCI bill is included in your Club fee and you can trade into DVC on the weeks side if something that works comes up.

No matter which way you go, being homeschool is going to help a lot.

Last edited:

ChristiRose

Reaction score
I think it's a little high for 84K points per year, and I think you'll find that points total lacking...they don't mention what they want in closing costs but if it doesn't say free closing, I'd assume you pay $400 transfer fee plus $300 closing....You could get Club Wyndham Access on EBay for a similar price per point, especially if you wait until late Fall. Bonnet Creek contract would get you in Bonnet Creek at 13 months the rest of Wyndham at 10 months. Club Wyndham Access will get you into Bonnet Creek and about 70 other resorts at 13 months. Plus, if you have Wyndham, your RCI bill is included in your Club fee and you can trade into DVC on the weeks side if something that works comes up.
Can you get Club Wyndham Access not tied to a specific location? Just wondering since I know that buying Bonnet Creek specifically would mean no trades into DVC.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you get Club Wyndham Access not tied to a specific location? Just wondering since I know that buying Bonnet Creek specifically would mean no trades into DVC.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but with Bonnet Creek, you are using Wyndham points to trade in RCI. Since those points are valid at any Wyndham property, the regional blacklist doesn't apply. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Anyway, Club Wyndham Access is not tied to a particular resort. You own a share in a trust which in turns owns contracts at various Wyndham resorts. The maintenance fee is close to the same between them, and my observation is that you'll find more CWA for sale due to sheer volume. I don't know that as fact, though.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there are two main things to decide here. Is DVC a deal breaker, and if it is can I make 1 bedrooms work.

If DVC is not a deal breaker, then Orlando becomes an easy trade, especially if you plan to go at off peak times. RCI would have Bonnet Creek or the Hilton properties, while II would have the Marriott and Sheraton properties.

If you need a DVC two bedroom, you'll need to buy DVC points, and $3K isn't nearly enough money.

If you can make DVC 1 bedrooms work, then RCI is back in play, and you want to get the cheapest RCI trader you can. Recent DVC one bedroom deposits have been between 30 and 40 TPUs, so I'd try to buy a good trader with 40+ TPUs.

IMO $3k is lots for that, and while $500/year probably isn't quite enough, it's probably close. I've sent you a PM with some other thoughts on that.

Your other destinations should be doable easily with that many TPUs, and you would probably be able to get two vacations out of them in a non-DVC year.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Capital told us they can exchange with RCI but I'm wondering how much of this pitch was BS. :(

So thinking about this more, we would probably only use 1 week every other year so a biennial or a low point annual that allows us to rollover/bank for the following year could be an option? Or is that less cost effective overall?

A biennial pts purchase would be good if you only want to vaca every other year but as the number and frequency of pts goes down the cost per point goes up. Because of this looking for rental deals may work best for now.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...Most MFs these days are around $800-$1000 for 1 bedroom 1 week per year in a small, independent resort, up to $3,000 in a 5 star, hotel branded deluxe suite in Hawaii.

Jim

I don't think those figures are accurate. The small independents that I own and have owned recently run more in the $550 to $600 range for 2br units. Maybe I just got lucky though.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
...Most MFs these days are around $800-$1000 for 1 bedroom 1 week per year in a small, independent resort, up to $3,000 in a 5 star, hotel branded deluxe suite in Hawaii.
I don't think those figures are accurate. The small independents that I own and have owned recently run more in the $550 to $600 range for 2br units. Maybe I just got lucky though.

I agree. Certainly not trying to correct anyone or step on anyone's toes..... WADR

I think the figures cited ($800-$1000 MF for 1br EY, up to $3000 EY Hawaii) are min/avg for the network or hotel-type resorts.... but I think those would be at the higher end for small independent resorts. You can browse the resort MF's in the appropriate forum threads and confirm that. Of course, HI is notoriously high on MF's regardless of affiliation.

While the MF's for network/hotel resorts are higher, there are usually less 'surprise' fees and assessments (certainly not the rule, but more likely--let's forget Point at Poipu for now). Of course, the rule of timeshares is 'fees will only go up."

One thought: any resort located on an island, beach or other attractive hazard is more likely to see an assessment. Age and last-refurbish date can also be a factor for independent properties.

If you choose some specifics, I'm that many will be able and willing to provide advice.

cheers.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

But - the OP is looking for a timeshare with high trading power to trade into DVC - do these timeshares have high trading power? (40+ TPU)

ChristiRose

Reaction score
So talked to my MIL today and she thought, but wasn't positive, that it cost her 8000 Bluegreen points (plus exchange fee) to trade for each Saratoga Springs 1 BR last fall. Unfortunately the RCI portal is down right now so we weren't able to pull that up to try to look at current point costs or any inventory. What my husband and I are considering now is whether it would make sense to buy a small number of points resale (such as 7000 annual) and add to his parents' account, split their flat $340 maintenance fee with them and pay for our per points fees (which if I'm getting accurate info from BG's site would be $0.05260 x 7000 = $368.20). I did confirm that they are Trust Fund E which I think is considered the best trust (?), and they are Silver Premier level. I realize one potential issue is whether we'd be able to snag a room at the DVC resorts that allow 5 people in a 1 BR which Saratoga does not. We would ideally want to go in September or October, not during fall breaks or Columbus Day weekend, so we'd be able to try at 10 or 11 months (since my husband gets to put in for next year vacation time off every November) to book, but we would also be open to trading into Bonnet Creek if that is easier to get.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But - the OP is looking for a timeshare with high trading power to trade into DVC - do these timeshares have high trading power? (40+ TPU)

If you have a minute I'd like you to check that for me since I'm not an RCI member.

I can get any week of the year except weeks 6 & 7 at Tropic Shores Resort in Daytona Beach Shores, Fla.

If you or anyone could find out what July 4th week would get in TPUs, Christmas and New Year's weeks, and then for grins any other mid summer week.

It would help with this discussion and would give me an Idea of what I have.

My MFs for my 2br units have been $600 for the past 3 years.

The other resort I owned recently was Alpine Village in Burnsville NC. Those are fixed weeks and my MFs again were hovering right at $650. I'm sure those TPUs would be much lower though.

Another one I own is Summer Bay, a 3br lock off but I think it was said above that since it's in Orlando it would not be suitable for trading into Orlando, although probably a good trader elsewhere. That one I can get weeks 1-51 and spit to a full 1br and a 2 br. Those fees are a little higher at $850. It's not really a small independent but not at large as the hotel chains.

Thanks

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
A solution

Okay here is a solution you might consider. This is based on the fact that you travel during quiet or value season times. It doesn't work for Christmas or summer etc.

Buy a small Club Wyndham Access contract. 154k is the perfect amount for this example but things change so you may want to buy a few more.

Use Wyndhams internal RCI exchange program to book TWO 1 BR at Disney. This will give you plenty of room for your family and MIL. It will cost 63k-77k in Wyndham points for each 1BR. The trick is booking two for the same week, but that is more likely during the time you travel.

154k CWA points will cost about $1000 or less on eBay. Maintenance fees will run you around $850 per year. Add in two exchange fees ($219?) and you get into Disney with two condos for about $1300 for six people. Compare this to what it would cost using Bluegreen points and go the least expensive way.

My two cents worth. Being fairly new to this I think I have all my ducks in a row. If not I am sure somebody will step n and correct me.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
154K will get 2 Saratoga one bedrooms in off-season, very limited times of the year, but most seasons are 105K for a 1 bedroom.

The OP hasn't been back for two weeks, so I wonder what she did?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Disney Vacation Club

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Prefer under $500

When I bought 6 Weeks at Independent HOA Controlled Resorts about 15 years ago $500 was my target for MFs. If I were doing it today, I think I would target $750 to $800.

George