• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI-what an ordeal for ongoing search

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! i cant believe the problems i had trying to get an ongoing search for a vacation for 2013..
the first girl put in the wrong dates... so i called back
the second girl put in the wrong room type and the wrong dates.. so i called back
the third girl finally got it right.. sort of .. then charged my credit card too much .. so i called again
the fourth person had me on the phone for 30 minutes trying to refund the overcharge to my credit card.. UNBELIEVABLE!!
THANK GOD i have a computer so i can check for mistakes.
and THIS is why i almost never use RCI!!!

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
THANK GOD i have a computer so i can check for mistakes.!!!

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but why not just do the request online so it is right from the git-go?

Sheila

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but why not just do the request online so it is right from the git-go?

Sheila

Because it's problematic online too! I have the hardest time entering long date ranges. It always tells me I have dublicate resorts! :crash:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I've been trying to figure out how to create an ongoing search with RCI through the HGVC-RCI portal. Is this possible?

Sorry. No experience with the HGVC portal. Maybe someone else will come along that knows.

Sheila

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, this type of service isn't uncommon from the front line VGs at RCI. I've had to call multiple times before they get stuff right, too. Web Support is MUCH better, so if I can justify anything as a web site problem, I'll try to use them.

Because it's problematic online too! I have the hardest time entering long date ranges. It always tells me I have dublicate resorts! :crash:
If you haven't tried lately, try again. I used to get that error almost all of the time, but since the last update a couple weeks ago, it doesn't seem to happen as often.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! i cant believe the problems i had trying to get an ongoing search for a vacation for 2013..
the second girl put in the wrong room type and the wrong dates.. so i called back
the third girl finally got it right.. sort of .. then charged my credit card too much .. so i called again
the fourth person had me on the phone for 30 minutes trying to refund the overcharge to my credit card.. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Whenever I use a guide, which isn't often, I tell them to hang on while I double check what they have done. Rarely do they get it right the first time, but if they know I am watching they usually get it right the second time. I only call if it is something I cannot do myself to begin with.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're having any problems creating the ongoing search online, call RCI and ask to be tranferred to their web support. They can talk you through it step by step.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
If you haven't tried lately, try again. I used to get that error almost all of the time, but since the last update a couple weeks ago, it doesn't seem to happen as often.

I was modifying an existing search to add more dates just yesterday and it gave me the error every time. I can't figure it out. Does it have a time span limit like 6 or 8 weeks?

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was modifying an existing search to add more dates just yesterday and it gave me the error every time. I can't figure it out. Does it have a time span limit like 6 or 8 weeks?
I'm not sure. Each line can only cover something like 8 weeks. The calendar automatically shows the acceptable range when you're entering the ending date.

I was modifying a number of ongoing searches last week. All of them worked except for one. On that one (for the Villas at Disney's Grand Californian), I was entering a pretty wide-open search range. I was able to enter two sets of date ranges (about 4 months) but when I tried to enter a third set (to cover 6 months), it gave me the error. The third set of dates was far enough out that I just left it off for now.

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
I've been trying to figure out how to create an ongoing search with RCI through the HGVC-RCI portal. Is this possible?

No, you have to call HGVC.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
No, you have to call HGVC.
Sorry to revive this thread, but I wanted to correct some information in it in case someone runs across it in a search as I just did. As of this thread, it *was* and still is possible to create on ongoing search through the HGVC RCI account. I've been doing so successfully for at least 4 years, so I know this for a fact since I've never created one over the phone. To do this, from hgvclub.com, simply navigate to My Club > RCI Affiliated Resorts > Reservations > Click here to Book my RCI Exchange Reservation. This takes you to RCI. Note the Terms & Conditions link while the bar is going across the screen after accepting the Terms & Conditions the first time you visit the site (I'll refer to these later). To create an Ongoing Search, you simply click RCI Exchange Reservations at the top then click Start an Ongoing Search on the right. Note, fees are payable upfront, and are applied to reservation fee if you confirm a match. When you get a match you have until the end of next business day (not counting Saturday) to confirm or release it or it is automatically released. Once a match is confirmed, technically RCI reservations are cancellable with refund of fee and points if you cancel by end of following business day (this is clearly stated in the above terms for both Points and Weeks reservations). If you cancel a confirmed ressie after the next business day you lose your fee and the points remain deposited with RCI. That's about it.

FlaKmunKy

Reaction score
Wow, that is terrible luck. When I call RCI they are usually on the ball and very knowledgeable.