• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rentals - 1 wk Oahu, 5 days Kona

SusieQ927

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching for the best deal on a full size rental for us
we'll be on Oahu 10/2-9 then fly to Hawaii and spend the 10/9-13 there

Anyone finding good deals on cars?

There will be 4 adults + luggage and I for one have not learned to travel
lightly, so we need some room. Had a Cadillac car last year on Oahu and we
filled it with suitcases on the way to the airport, but we'd rented a smaller car and they upgraded us; don't expect exactly such a deal this year but the
days in Kona look reallllly expensive so all you seasoned Tuggers out there, any
info will be appreciated!

thanks

SusieQ927

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oahu 10/2-9 at HHV GW, Kona 10/9-13 at Waikiloa - any swaps

Anyone going to be at the HHV or Waikoloa before or after us that wants to swap items?

Anyone going to be there while we are there that wants to meet up?

Let me know

Susie Q

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was just at Kona

Hi, I've been searching for the best deal on a full size rental for us
we'll be on Oahu 10/2-9 then fly to Hawaii and spend the 10/9-13 there

Anyone finding good deals on cars?

There will be 4 adults + luggage and I for one have not learned to travel
lightly, so we need some room. Had a Cadillac car last year on Oahu and we
filled it with suitcases on the way to the airport, but we'd rented a smaller car and they upgraded us; don't expect exactly such a deal this year but the
days in Kona look reallllly expensive so all you seasoned Tuggers out there, any
info will be appreciated!

thanks

Highly recommend you bid on Priceline. At first I was nervous to do it, but if they don't like your bid, nothing happens. This is a different section than Pricelilne's normal rental section. I believe I finally got Kona at $18/day for a compact and this was in July -- a very high season. Start at around $15 and each day raise it one dollar.

BTW, we were treated no different that full paying customers when we showed up at the rental counter (Alamo).

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I did priceline next month and got a full size via Alamo for $12 day. A full week with taxes was $120.

Reaction score
For your stay at HHV, I'll just share with you that we've made very good on the strategy of getting the shuttle from the airport and then renting a car near the hotel for the day(s) that we want to use it, in part to get around the nonsense of the ridiculous parking fees at HHV. In your case it might be better still since the issues with so much luggage may have you getting a much bigger car than you might otherwise need but for the trips to and from the airport.

The shuttle bus from the airport is nice because HHV happens to be the first stop out of the airport headed to the beach hotels. I forget how much this costs, but it's nothing too crazy and you can buy your roundtrip up front. It's a bit of a hike from the bus drop to the check-in desk, but actually a nice walk having just gotten off the plane from CONUS.

We've also been pleasantly surprised by how well the public transit system on Oahu can get you around for just a little bit of research. We've had no trouble getting to most of the places we wanted to go for just a few dollars on the bus, to include Pearl Harbor headed west and Haunama Bay to the east. The rest (like the North Shore and Dole Plantation, which may still be covered by the buses but are just a bit further) we hit with the day-use rental car. There are plenty of car rental locations right near the hotel, with the added benefit of no outrageous HHV parking fees.

All good either way. This is just one more perspective.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
For your stay at HHV, I'll just share with you that we've made very good on the strategy of getting the shuttle from the airport and then renting a car near the hotel for the day(s) that we want to use it.
The shuttle bus from the airport is nice because HHV happens to be the first stop out of the airport headed to the beach hotels.

This is what I did my last trip two years ago, and am doing again next month.
The Grand Waikikian wasn't open last time, and I was wondering if the airport bus stops only at the original bus area, or does it also now stop at the Grand Waikikian for those staying there or Lagoon?

Reaction score
does it also now stop at the Grand Waikikian for those staying there or Lagoon?

I'm pretty sure it still only stops at the original location (NE corner of the property near the Hale Koa) but can't say for certain. Last time we were there--also a couple years ago--we were in the Lagoon Tower and I know there wasn't another stop. I'd be surprised to hear it has an additional stop, if only because it doesn't seem to me there would be room enough for the buses anywhere else.

If it occurs to you to report back on your findings next month that would be great, but no big deal if not. We're going in January, and in spite of what I said about the nice walk after the long flight from CONUS, I'm sure we're lazy enough to take the closer stop if we must. :hysterical: