• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Toilet Bowl Cleaner - Need Recommendation

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe there's not been a thread about this yet! :wave:

I need a new cleaner. The one I grew up using is no longer sold to the public.

I want something that is easy to use, disinfects, removes any stains vs. just fading them, and won't smell worse than what I am cleaning!

What's your favorite cleaner to get this nasty job done?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner - Need Recommendation
Just use what the timeshare resorts use.

Works great, whatever it is.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find a good cleaner since they no longer sell the crystalized cleaners that I have used forever. Sani Flush and Vanish were the best. If you find a good one, please post it .

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clorox is cheap and works great!

I just pour in some Clorox bleach and come back later. Most stains and bacteria will be gone. Then I use a brush to get the bleach water up above the water line and under the rim.

For the rust stains that come down from the tank, the Lysol cleaner in the black bottle works.

Of course, don't use the cleaner and bleach together :eek:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use Susan, our housekeeper. She uses Lysol bowl cleaner and since our water leaves dried calcium deposits, she goes after them with a pumice block.

Jim Ricks

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find a good cleaner since they no longer sell the crystalized cleaners that I have used forever. Sani Flush and Vanish were the best. If you find a good one, please post it .

Sani-flush is what I used! Can not buy it retail any longer. They do sell it for industry use though (per my internet search looking for it).

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use Susan, our housekeeper. She uses Lysol bowl cleaner and since our water leaves dried calcium deposits, she goes after them with a pumice block.

Jim Ricks

It's not the dried calcium deposits that I am worried about :eek: And there's no way in blazes I am sticking my hand in there without a hazmat suit.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about a janitorial supply store. Around here they happily sell to the public. Or maybe a local hotel's housekeeper will part with a household amount of whatever they use- for a price?

If you have an ingredient list of the granulated product you like, just try to approximate it in an industrial packaging. You probably don't want to buy a 55 gal. drum of it, though.

Once you've swished some bleach around the bowl, there's no biohazard in there to hurt you, just be sure to flush well before you use any caustic cleaner. The chemical reaction can be pretty dramatic!

Jim

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, plain old Clorox does the trick as stated above. Pour, soak, brush -- all stain & critters gone!

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe there's not been a thread about this yet! :wave:

I need a new cleaner. The one I grew up using is no longer sold to the public.

I want something that is easy to use, disinfects, removes any stains vs. just fading them, and won't smell worse than what I am cleaning!

What's your favorite cleaner to get this nasty job done?

I have found out lime worked great in the outhouse. We use Clorox. Watch your eyes when you clean the bowl. The water can splash up.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who preferred Vanish and SaniFlush. Still have one can of the latter, but don't recall where I purchased it. I know I can't find more for the other bathrooms. :annoyed:
Why have they been discontinued? The liquids just aren't as effective.

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have lime depoits. I use Lime Away or Kaboom. Both work well. But for disinfecting, I agree, bleach is the way to go.

bobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use Iron Out or super iron out (I'm not sure if super is part of the name)
It removes iron and manganese settle outs and leaves the toilet clean. Bleach shouldn't be used for people with septic systems.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who preferred Vanish and SaniFlush. Still have one can of the latter, but don't recall where I purchased it. I know I can't find more for the other bathrooms. :annoyed:
Why have they been discontinued? The liquids just aren't as effective.

But you can squirt the liquids up under the rim which didn't work with the crystals.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I'm feeling guilty about cleaning my toilets. I've always used the Lysol liquid that you can squirt under the rim. With a brush it does a decent job. I had no idea there were so many other options.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flush, then as bowl is refilling add ammonia. Scrub with brush and let sit. Then brush and flush!

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered Fuller Brush toilet bowl cleaner from QVC today. It wasn't cheap and I purchased the brushes (not correct term but don't know what else to call them). I'll post how it works after I try it.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Cleaning The Biffy.

Click here for updated toilet cleaning instructions.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet that bowl and lids and the path out of there would be a mess after that method!!