• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible Hidden Spam Links?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was looking at some of the posts for a new registrant. In their post on the BBS, there are no visible links. However when you click on the users name and "Find more posts by user", the search results show a link to an external website in their posts. Any idea what is going on here? Why don't they show up in the actual post but do in the search results. I tried copy pasting thinking perhaps they formatted the text to match the background color, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Good catch! He has been banned.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I was looking at some of the posts for a new registrant. In their post on the BBS, there are no visible links. However when you click on the users name and "Find more posts by user", the search results show a link to an external website in their posts. Any idea what is going on here? Why don't they show up in the actual post but do in the search results. I tried copy pasting thinking perhaps they formatted the text to match the background color, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

That is definitely weird.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Good catch! He has been banned.

That is good, though not necessarily my intent. I understand why they are doing it, trying to increase their search engine rankings. However, I am curious as to the how. Is there some flaw in the vBulletin software that they are exploiting? It is odd that you can't see the link in their post, but you can when you search and view all the posts by that user.

That is definitely weird.

It is weird indeed.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I can't tell you exactly what it is, but it's a PNG image, and it's only 1x1 pixels. I've seen these on TUG before - but I can't see them unless I click the edit button.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
1x1 transparent images are a tracking method.
Constant contact and similar use them to flag who opened emails sent by their software.

This was in the footer of an email I got this morning.

This email communication makes use of a "Clear Image" (gif) to track the results of the email campaign. If you wish to turn off this tracking for future emails, you can do so by turning off the images in the

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I saw a couple more posts today from a PC that couldn't see the images, so there were just broken images. I suspect if the images were there, they would be invisible? Though those posts appear to have been deleted?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I saw a couple more posts today from a PC that couldn't see the images, so there were just broken images. I suspect if the images were there, they would be invisible? Though those posts appear to have been deleted?

If we're talking about the same ones, yesterday I banned a new poster and deleted his/her three posts with the same hidden link attached. They were generic comments followed by the icon for a small blue box with a question mark in it; clicking "edit" brought up the web address for an obviously-spam site. ;)

I have no idea how it all works but I've seen this sort of thing on TUG before, and banned/deleted those the same way.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen similar things (and much more) on a forum where I'm a moderator. The spammers get pretty creative, hiding their spam.

Moderators get pretty good at spotting it, even when it's not "visible".

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The BEST action to take on a questionable post is to click on the red triangle and report it. (Although the discussion here is also interesting and helpful.)

(Hi Michael - nice to see you back on TUG! :hi: )

Last edited: