• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI is impossible to work with

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have decided to make two exchanges to Puerta Vallarta 1 week at Buganvillas and the following week to the Grand Mayan. I have attempted 3 times to do this online and each time the system faults out before I can accept. I know I could call to make the exchange by phone but I am going to sleep on it instead. I am not looking at making the trip until 3/2011. RCI has to be the worst managed business in the world.:confused:

RustyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've had the same problems with their web site and sent them feedback to complain. They tell me I should update my browser, use a different browser, call during business hours, try again tomorrow... You get the point. I sent them a PDF of a screen shot of a hosed page and they told me they could not open it. A PDF!

I've told them it's not my job to make sure I stand on my left foot or cross my fingers to get their web site to function cleanly. It's theirs to make sure they don't offshore programming to the lowest cost developer.

If my bank only offered me this sort of interface to conduct business I'd change banks. Same with a brokerage, a book store, or a hotel chain. And they'd respond by making sure their customers, existing and future, could conduct business so they'd have a successful business.

I guess RCI feels they can dictate the terms their customers have to follow to use their "service". Vote with your feet.

jodivk

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI online exchange

I totally agree. I do have to say though, caveat, instead of using the Explorer browser, I switched to using Mozilla when looking at RCI and now I can open the RCI resort pages without getting kicked out every other page.

Just a thought.

forfun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Updated to IE8 and still only see 3 deporsited weeks

Admittedly, I have not used RCI.com a lot recently but last night I tried and saw only three of my five deposited weeks listed in the 'available weeks search' menu.
1. I called RCI and verified I had 5 weeks deposited,
2. Was transferred to the web team for help, was told they no longer supported IE6 and that was why I couldn't see all 5 deposited weeks. They instructed me to install IE8.
3. I downloaded and installed IE8 and still only saw 3 weeks in the 'available search window'.
4. Called the web team back, spoke to a different person
5. This person said many times only to oldest 3 weeks appear. If you want to search using the newer weeks, call RCI, and if a week is found and you confirm online you won't be charged the $25 non-online charge.
6. When I asked when this would be fixed, the web person indicated they have bigger problems then this to work on.

Guess I really didn't need to upgrade to IE8 afterall. Just wanted to share my experience

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I do have to say though, caveat, instead of using the Explorer browser, I switched to using Mozilla when looking at RCI and now I can open the RCI resort pages without getting kicked out every other page.

Just a thought.

Mozilla does seem to work better with RCIs website than IE though I have had some issues on RCI website no matter what browser I use. The website seems to work best during off hours when they have less traffic.

Dave

BarCol

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a browser expert, but a member of the RCI web team told me (when I was on the phone cpmplaining about the iste not working) that their site really misbehaves with Mozilla - you have to keep hitting the refresh button and avoid the back buttion like the plague....I still dislike the site......

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
I'm not a browser expert, but a member of the RCI web team told me (when I was on the phone cpmplaining about the iste not working) that their site really misbehaves with Mozilla - you have to keep hitting the refresh button and avoid the back buttion like the plague....I still dislike the site......

That's interesting. I have better results with Mozilla! With I.E. I have to hit the refresh button a LOT.

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI site should be perfect

For a major website that is down so much for maintenance, it should be flawless, smooth, and bullet-proof. Seems like whenever we want to sit down and look, it's down for maintenance....

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ever hear of "Ghost Weeks"?

We kept seeing weeks we wanted to book online. Like a great 2BR week over Labor Day at a Gold Crown. Couldn't book it online--we got the old "Transaction cannot be completed at this time" excuse. Called RCI to complain, they said sometimes these "Ghost weeks" show up just to tantalize us. Really? BOoOooOoh, Beware of the Ghost Weeks!! Imagine going to McDonald's and trying to order the Veal Parmesan that is clearly displayed up on the menu sign....."Sorry, sir we do not sell Veal Parm".....Really? But it's right there. See it? "Oh that? That is a ghost entree" --Unbelievable!

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have encountered that sporadically.

It happened big time during the first week of September 2009. Lots of prime Hawaii weeks were listed on Skyauction.com for March and April 2010, including the week before and after Easter. When I checked availability of the same resorts and dates at the RCI Weeks website, I saw a lot of the same weeks available for exchange but when I tried to place it on hold or confirm it, I received that same message about how the week is not available because someone else may have confirmed it.

What baloney--twelve different resorts with multiple unit available, and all these people were snapping them up at 4:00 a.m. . I don't think so!

I wonder if they suddenly became unavailable because RCI was removing them from the spacebank and shipping them out the back door to Skyauction.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to RCI yesterday - several times. I couldn't grab a week I wanted. Called. Rep said system was acting up and even his system was down at the moment so to try again later and to call back if needed. Great. I went on with my life and got back to trying online to get the week (still there) about 6 hours later. Still couldn't and I tried every permutation I could think of. Called RCI and talked to semi-snotty technical support person. He told me I (me? Obviously right from the start it sure wasn't going to be HIS system had issues!) had a connectivity issue. No kidding. And that a firewall was probably the issue. Uh, no. Don't have one (should but don't) and I did 3 online exchanges 4 weeks ago and nothing has change on MY computer since. Well, he walked me thru the process again and surprise, it didn't work. So he put the unit on hold and I confirmed it myself (so I paid the lower fee).

I have run up against ghost weeks before. Once the rep said the unit was on hold by someone and wasn't truly available at the moment but hey, if it gets released I may have a chance. So I started thinking more ghost weeks where out there and was thinking that this recent week I wanted was one (newly shown up 2 BR June week at highly popular resort) but wanted it bad enough to call RCI. Glad I did AND learned a lesson to not assume week is a ghost (or not) because of what I can do or not do online.

I MUCH prefer to do everything myself online but it looks like I'll be calling RCI more and more in the future. Their website STINKS. But so far I am getting the exchanges I want. It's "just" costing me more in time effort and $$ as I am making back up plans now than I had to before.

Oh, tech rep did say to not use the browser back buttons (which I rarely do since reading that tip here before), and he also said if you have a pending week (new deposit) that it can screw up using the All Deposit option... so better to use the specifc week desired.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I have not used RCI.com a lot recently but last night I tried and saw only three of my five deposited weeks listed in the 'available weeks search' menu.
1. I called RCI and verified I had 5 weeks deposited,
2. Was transferred to the web team for help, was told they no longer supported IE6 and that was why I couldn't see all 5 deposited weeks. They instructed me to install IE8.
3. I downloaded and installed IE8 and still only saw 3 weeks in the 'available search window'.
4. Called the web team back, spoke to a different person
5. This person said many times only to oldest 3 weeks appear. If you want to search using the newer weeks, call RCI, and if a week is found and you confirm online you won't be charged the $25 non-online charge.
6. When I asked when this would be fixed, the web person indicated they have bigger problems then this to work on.

Guess I really didn't need to upgrade to IE8 afterall. Just wanted to share my experience

For the first time I have more than 3 deposits at the same time. I too thought one wasn't showing up but then saw that under the last visible deposit was a statement in RED: View Additional Deposits. I clicked it and viola - there was my additional deposit. Maybe it's the same for you?

forfun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
View additional weeks doesn't show anymore

Sorry, jlwquilter, even when clicking the 'view additional weeks' I don't see anymore.

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems searching in RCI?

I logged in late last night and when I clicked on <Search for a Vacation>, I got the following error message:

Please Try Again

Mandatory fields missing in the Request.

For internal use only: Error from Extra Vacations
SR003:Mandatory fields missing in the Request.​

My list of deposits don't show; I just get the error message.
So, I tried using the <Search to Exchange> button that shows up on the home page, within the right hand graphic, and I get the page that show some of my deposits, but when I tried to enter search criteria, I got this error message:

Please Try Again

Our online search feature is currently unavailable. Please try again later or call the Call Center.

For internal use only: Error from Extra Vacations
SR001:General Error in the Search Engine.​

Since the error message cites Extra Vacations, I tried that too. Lo and behold! The search for Extra Vacations work.

Wondering if it's just me or if anyone else is getting the same results? FWIW, I sent an email to RCI about these error messages.

wvanly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if people are still having trouble with RCI's website, but I still am and it doesn't work well with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla. So I really don't think it is a browser issue. Very frustrating when you want to book something.
:mad: