• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[July '08 Thread] Why do so many TUGgers not list their location?

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy seeing where people are from under their screen names. So many times their location is not listed and I'm bummed! Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm nosy. I just find it interesting to see where folks live.

Anyone else ever notice this or wish more TUGgers would list their location?

Just curious.

Janna

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Because they don't want strangers dropping in for lunch. :D :D

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to put my town in, but I think it now says western New York or near Buffalo.
I have to be careful to never say I am from New York. Everyone seems to think that New York = Manhattan.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Mine used to say Ames, IA and when I moved back to Milwaukee while my hubby and mutt were still there, I think I changed to something else as I was living in both cities for eight months. Now with us all together here in Milwaukee (even though we do still own that house in IA) I will make the change :)

Von

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seemed a shame for the Gummint to be spending all that money on the witness protection plan then just waste it telling every darn TUGger where to find us. :)

Jim Ricks

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mine is "in the neighborhood of" because I don't think everybody knows my town (Henderson, NV). I think some people don't list their towns because they figure they are listing vacation plans from time to time and they want to be cautious.

BTW, I know where Apple Valley is. I pass it on the way to my sister's from here.

Fern

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I live just a few miles NW of Apple Valley. Oh, that's MN not CA. :)

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to use my home town, Rancho Dominguez (it's really not a town, it's just an unincorporated part of Los Angeles County.). In fact my mail can be delivered to three names, Rancho Dominguez, Dominguez Hills and Hub City.:eek: It's just a little slice of land between Carson, Compton and Long Beach.

So now I listed as LAX, since I am relatively close to the airport and most people would acquaint that with Los Angeles. But I actually prefer and am closer to LGB (Long Beach Airport). But if I listed LGB, I don't imagine too many people would know that location.

Maybe I should just change it to Los Angeles. But I don't live in the city of LA, and LA is really big, over 50 miles long, so who would really know which part of LA I am in....would it be as far south as San Pedro....or as far north as Van Nuys and The Valley(San Fernando Valley)....

I guess I am confused.....:eek:

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine is "in the neighborhood of" because I don't think everybody knows my town (Henderson, NV).

That's why I list mine as South Jersey. I live in a little town that's all of 2 square miles, never even on the NJ map until about 20 years ago (has been around for more than 60). If I listed it, no one would have a clue where in NJ I meant, even most NJ people have never heard of it!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm kind of in the same boat. If I say "Washington" people think "D.C." If I say "Washington state," people automatically think "Seattle." Lovely cities, been there a lot, even have lived in both. But now I don't live in either one. I live in a tiny burg north of Seattle - almost to Canada. So the name wouldn't mean much.

Dave

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mine is "in the neighborhood of" because I don't think everybody knows my town (Henderson, NV). I think some people don't list their towns because they figure they are listing vacation plans from time to time and they want to be cautious.

BTW, I know where Apple Valley is. I pass it on the way to my sister's from here.

Fern

Fern, of course I know where Henderson (of course) is...our son lived in Henderson for about 7 or 8 years and we visited him (and Vegas) many times over those years.

As for my location...not many know where Lehigh Acres is, except John K and JLB and anyone who ever exchanged into the Lehigh resort, but we are about 20 miles east of Fort Myers.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy seeing where people are from under their screen names. So many times their location is not listed and I'm bummed! Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm nosy. I just find it interesting to see where folks live.

Anyone else ever notice this or wish more TUGgers would list their location?

Just curious.

Janna

Also, some don't seem to want to list the resorts where they are owners. As Alan would say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Marty

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hey, Rick,
My sister Irene lives in Lomita. I never know quite where to say she lives. Near LA? Not really. Long Beach? Nah. Oh, wait, I got it...she lives near Rancho Dominguez :)

I used to use my home town, Rancho Dominguez (it's really not a town, it's just an unincorporated part of Los Angeles County.). In fact my mail can be delivered to three names, Rancho Dominguez, Dominguez Hills and Hub City.:eek: It's just a little slice of land between Carson, Compton and Long Beach.

So now I listed as LAX, since I am relatively close to the airport and most people would acquaint that with Los Angeles. But I actually prefer and am closer to LGB (Long Beach Airport). But if I listed LGB, I don't imagine too many people would know that location.

Maybe I should just change it to Los Angeles. But I don't live in the city of LA, and LA is really big, over 50 miles long, so who would really know which part of LA I am in....would it be as far south as San Pedro....or as far north as Van Nuys and The Valley(San Fernando Valley)....

I guess I am confused.....:eek:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JoAnn,
You know, you probably don't really know where we live. We live in Henderson, but not "old Henderson." The area we live in is south of Green Valley, and didn't exist ten years ago. We live in a master planned community called Anthem. There are probably about 25,000 people here in five different subdivisions, Coventry, Country Club, Sun City Anthem, Solera, and Anthem Highlands. KarenG lives up here too, although not in the same subdivision as I do.

Fern

Fern, of course I know where Henderson (of course) is...our son lived in Henderson for about 7 or 8 years and we visited him (and Vegas) many times over those years.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I list mine as South Jersey. I live in a little town that's all of 2 square miles, never even on the NJ map until about 20 years ago (has been around for more than 60). If I listed it, no one would have a clue where in NJ I meant, even most NJ people have never heard of it!

Okay, now I'm dying to know the name of the town! We just met someone from Alloway, NJ...not Galloway, NJ...Alloway, NJ! So now I know where that is. :wave:

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, Alloway is in South Jersey, although probably close to an hour's drive from me. I don't know if there's a Galloway, NJ. I know of a Galloway Township, a section down near Atlantic City, but it's not a town. Townships are so confusing in NJ - they include some clumps of towns, but not every town is part of a township. Don't know if they have them in north Jersey but there are a lot in South Jersey and even a lot of people who live here think that they are the actual towns - so confusing. All of the ones close to me have a single school system.

wackymother, do you live in south or north Jersey?

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JoAnn,
You know, you probably don't really know where we live. We live in Henderson, but not "old Henderson." The area we live in is south of Green Valley, and didn't exist ten years ago. We live in a master planned community called Anthem. There are probably about 25,000 people here in five different subdivisions, Coventry, Country Club, Sun City Anthem, Solera, and Anthem Highlands. KarenG lives up here too, although not in the same subdivision as I do.

Fern

I remember you telling me that before. Dave lived a couple of places IN Henderson, and then bought a trailer/mobile home on Boulder Hwy....near the old Tony Roma's and 'Old Las Vegas'...old time western town????? He went out there in the fall of '82 and moved back to Ohio in about '89. (we bought at the JC on our first trip out to see him in May of '83).

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone who gives us somewhat of an idea of where they live I would count. Like BMWguynw, at least he tells us he's in the Northwest. I've seen a few TUGgers list USA as their location. That doesn't really count. South Jersey is a pretty small area, so at least I know they aren't in Arizona!

Since very little info is given in our public profile and hardly anyone actually has their entire name as their screen name, I don't see this as a security issue. For some it may just be a privacy issue and I understand that. I'm not a real private person, so I wouldn't think to leave my location blank. I have yet to see another TUGger who lives in Apple Valley, CA although I keep my eyes open all the time. How can I be the only one here who has discovered this great site?!?!?!?! I'm lucky I guess.

Tootles for now,

Janna

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm, I know where ya at JoAnn!!!!! :D

Didn't mean to 'forget' you, Conch man. BTW, our DD from Key West is finally giving it up down there. :cheer: She should be moving in with us this week. :eek: Too expensive, hard to find work....only took her 31 years to get out. :wall:

laxmom

Reaction score
We do the same thing. We actually live in Mason, Ohio which is outside of Cincinnati but even Ohioans don't know where Mason is unless we say "near Kings Island."

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
In this day and age, who can blame folks for being cautious about posting personal information to the 'net?

Some folks do shoot themselves in the foot by not providing an actual real name in their profiles, though. This is not shown publicly, and can be a great help in finding their account for them when they're having problems logging in. (You'd be amazed how many people can't tell us their chosen username on their account.)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because they don't want strangers dropping in for lunch. :D :D

I guess you could be more cryptic and refer to your location as "the land of the wide stance" but then everyone would know where you are.

On second thought maybe just "craters of the moon" as that might be more descriptive.

Last edited: