• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Email address as BBS username

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
[This discussion is being split off from another thread which was being dominated by an "email address as bbs username" topic instead of the original topic at hand. - mg]

Try to change your user name. You are going to get slammed by scammers who offer to sell for you, but you have to pay them an upfront fee. Then they will do nothing for you. Hang on. You will get some great advice here. But be prepared. Many timeshares are given away these days, or sell for peanuts compared to if purchased new. You can do it yourself.

It's a bad idea to post your e-mail address anywhere on the web. But in your username?? Yikes!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
It's a bad idea to post your e-mail address anywhere on the web. But in your username?? Yikes!! :eek:
We warn about this in the section of the registration form where you choose your username:
IMPORTANT! Please read!
This is how your account will be known on the bbs. Because this will be visible in all your posts, your public profile, and the bbs user list, most people prefer to enter a nickname rather than use their real name or email address.

We especially caution against using your email address for your bbs username, as spammers harvest visible email addresses from public sites such as this one.

How to change your BBS username: Your username is the one thing in your bbs user profile you cannot change yourself, but the administrators can do it for you manually, via the Contact BBS Admin link near the bottom of all bbs pages.

If you wish to change your bbs username, please provide your desired username and, if it has not already been taken by somebody else, we'll take it from there. You might want to provide several names in order of preference in case your first choice is already in use.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I go on the internet in order to establish contact with others

With that question, and her email address in her post, I'm sure she will "establish contact with others," now. Of course the "others," will be every resale scammer on the face of the planet!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
My name is Todd Davis. My social security number is 457-55-5462.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
ronparise@gmail.com

239-247-0341

I go on the internet in order to establish contact with others

I would venture to say that you are well prepared to handle contacts by those with less than honorable intentions. A newbie not so much.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say that you are well prepared to handle contacts by those with less than honorable intentions. A newbie not so much.

Newbies are not stupid, just because they are new. Perhaps un-informed, but if they are here on TUG, they are getting all the info they need.....unfortunately some paranoia too

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Newbies are not stupid, just because they are new. Perhaps un-informed, but if they are here on TUG, they are getting all the info they need.....unfortunately some paranoia too

Ron - You have posted multiple timeshare you actually "like" to talk to telephone solicitors - the vast majority of people do not feel that way, and a newbie with one post is going to be vulnerable to a smooth sales pitch.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Never said newbies are stupid. However scammers are excellent at what they do. We have had Long time TUG members fall for scams.

Yes, this newbie may have a timeshare that is worth thousands of dollars. However, it is also possible that the timeshare is worthless yet they are inquiring about finding a broker to sell their timeshare. This shows that they may be out of touch with the realities of timeshares and thus may be prime for falling for a scammer.