• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let the buyer beware!

JM48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion to anybody buying resale make sure the points are not "rescued points".

I bought a property & after the sale went thru I found out the points that were added to my account were "rescued" by the seller so he could sell the property. This means that they must be used this year or I will lose them!!

Another reason to use a reputable seller like Judi or Seth.

JM

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't HGVC list the points and their origin on the estoppel report prior to the sale?

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Atleast the points are there. Let's assume that you end up not using these points, was it still a good deal! If yes, then no worries,

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I guess that this could happen if the seller had booked a stay using that year's point alotment
and then later rescued points to replenish the account, w/o bothering to ask that the rescued
points be deducted instead. I would think that a seller would rather use up the older points.

But if what you bought included both a full alotment of current year points and rescued points,
then IMHO, you have no beef, as you're getting an extra alotment of points.

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience with OP.
I found out this year's points were depositted points from last year when I got estoppel letter (seller sent me estoppel letter because I requested it).
I contacted seller and complained about it, and seller paid this year's MF as compensation. I got a good deal on ebay (at that time) and free 9000 points made it even sweeter. I went ahead and transfer was done smoothly.
Had you requested estoppel letter to closing company when you made payment?
You can send complaint to both closing co and seller, you have nothing to lose now.

Last edited:

JM48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I did get all the points for this year but they are "rescued" so they have to be used this year.

We bought this in Dec. '09 and it took so long for the "paperwork" to get done it was Apr. before we got the points in our account. Unfortunately we spent a week at our TS at Sea World in March where we could have used the "rescued" points!

So now we are going to the Flamingo at the end of Sept. which is platinum
just to use up 4800 points, we would have like to go in gold season instead.

The people we bought from paid $16,000.00 for it in 2002 then in 2009 it went into default. They had to pay almost $4000.00 to get it out of default so they could sell it for $2700.00 to us! I found all this out because I had asked for a title search which was a real eye opener!

I did complain to the listing co. they said they would get back to me, that was a few months ago.

At the end of the day we did get a good deal but with a lot of aggravation as well.

Thanks for the comments,

JM

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So, what happened to the 2010 point allotment? Did the seller use 'em b4 closing?
If you paid this year's MF's, IMHO, they should refund them to you, or maybe split 'em,
since you did sort'a get some use this year.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP said it was a "rescued points" from 2009, so use it within this year or lose it.
Glad that you use the points at Flamingo, have fun!

JM48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with HGVC customer service.

This is the explanation :

The 5000 pts. were rescuced from 2009.

The person I bought from had already converted the 2010 pts. to HHonors.

I have already booked LV in Sept. using 4800 pts. which leaves 200 pts. which will expire on 12/31/10.

What HGVC did was remove the 200 pts. from "rescued" and added them to my 2010 pt. total. Good customer service, they didn't have to do anything!

This is proof that they don't treat re-sale buyers any different then direct purchase.

Sorry if this was a little confusing, mostly due to lack of knowledge on my part!

Thanks,

JM

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with HGVC customer service.

This is the explanation :

The 5000 pts. were rescuced from 2009.

The person I bought from had already converted the 2010 pts. to HHonors.

I have already booked LV in Sept. using 4800 pts. which leaves 200 pts. which will expire on 12/31/10.

What HGVC did was remove the 200 pts. from "rescued" and added them to my 2010 pt. total. Good customer service, they didn't have to do anything!

This is proof that they don't treat re-sale buyers any different then direct purchase.

Sorry if this was a little confusing, mostly due to lack of knowledge on my part!

Thanks,

JM

Great! Now you feel better? :)

jsb15

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how that helps you after going through that trouble. Nor do I see that as much of a concession on the part of HGVC but I'm glad it made you feel better about them. If you wanted to use them this year it makes no difference if they are rescue or 2010 points. If you like the fact you could rescue them now for 2011, my guess is that 200 points are too few to make it worth paying the $69 fee and you are better off letting them expire. Am I missing something here?