• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much are these worth:

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much do you think these options are worth and which do you prefer?

1) 2 Bedroom Plus, Platinum, Hilton Las Vegas Strip, 8400 annual points. $907.10 yearly MF

Owe MF's for 2010 -- AND only 2,190 points remain for 2011 year.

2) 2 bedroom, Platinum, Seaworld, 7000 annual points, $908.78
7000 points available in 2011

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much do you think these options are worth and which do you prefer?

1) 2 Bedroom Plus, Platinum, Hilton Las Vegas Strip, 8400 annual points. $907.10 yearly MF

7000 points available in 2011

You can always check recent e-bay closings.

-TJ

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am looking for what TUGers think is more desirable.

Paul

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the Las Vegas contract is STRIPPED. It will be useless to the new purchaser for the following year - not really usable until 2012. Based on that, I believe that the Orland contract is much more desirable.

elaine

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
As a math question? I would discount any bid for the LV pts by about $1600 to make up for the extra MF/used points. Other than that it becomes a question of cost per pt, and MF per point. Right now the LV pts have a better MF/pt than Orlando. Look at some posts here to see what will likely pass ROFR on a $/pt basis.

On a better to own basis, where do you like to go? The home priority probably means something if you want to travel to one destination over the other on a semi-regular basis. Another thought; if you ever curtail your travel plans, getting to Vegas from Sacramento would be cheaper than heading to Orlando. Is there value for you in owning close to home?

On the "what do Tuggers think is more desirable" basis, I love Orlando, dislike Sin City. My choice is clear. Nuff said.

M Ross.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Levatino,

If it was me, I'd buy the 8,400 point program -- even though 2011 points have been borrowed (which allows you to negotiate a better price) you have more points in perpetuity for the same MFs.

I saw a 9,600 points HHV property go for $13K on eBay, but it has higher MFs and HHV home resort advantage has value.

Good luck, and let us know what you do -- if you can get for $1/point that's a screaming deal I would think, but other HGVC TUGgers are closer to pricing than I am.

Greg

Bill4728

Reaction score
The LV deal is better except for this quote

With only ~2200 pts in 2011 ( I assume that you're getting zero pts in 2010) the buyer shouldn't be paying either 2010 or 2011 MFs. Since you're basically only getting use starting in 2012 that its the first year you should pay mfs.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go for the 8400 point value. You can always buy the points from another HGVC owner for 2011 usage. HGVC will transfer points between owners if both of them get on the phone with them.

TUGmember100

Reaction score
Transfer points between owners?

Go for the 8400 point value. You can always buy the points from another HGVC owner for 2011 usage. HGVC will transfer points between owners if both of them get on the phone with them.

Really...this can be done just by both getting on the phone with HGVC?! Any fees involved? That's good news...if we needed to combine points with my parents (in laws to me) for longer stays or larger accommodations!

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Asking the 'seller' to subtract out the MF is not an option. Its either this deal or take a risk that hilton will reinstate the 2011 points after it closes. I really doubt they will do that. Does anyone have any experience with hilton 'reinstating' the used points?

Thanks,
paul

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the points have been used by the previous owner, than why should Hilton reinstate the points for you after you become an owner?

Just figure out the total cost to you (including the loss of 2011 points) for each contract and then make your decision. The data that you have provided here for our feedback is also sketchy at best since we do not know the sales price, closing costs, and who is paying what MFs.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you HAVE TO pay 2010 and 2011 MF even though you don't get the usage (I don't think you will find much use with 2000+ points for 2011), you need to add that cost to your purchase (upfront) cost.
Hilton NEVER reinstate 2011 points to you even though you pay 2011 MF. Once seller took the points, that's it!
I wish you make a wise decision!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with hilton 'reinstating' the used points?

Thanks,
paul

Hilton will make deals for extra points and such if you buy through them, as an incentive. When you buy resale, there's no reason for Hilton to provide any perks as they only get a transfer fee. There's nothing in it for them.

Cheers.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Asking the 'seller' to subtract out the MF is not an option. Its either this deal or take a risk that hilton will reinstate the 2011 points after it closes. I really doubt they will do that. Does anyone have any experience with hilton 'reinstating' the used points?

Thanks,
paul

Paul, what are the asking prices for these? I don't think I saw where you have a price that you're contemplating?

I'd still rather have the 8,400 annual points....thx

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton will make deals for extra points and such if you buy through them, as an incentive. When you buy resale, there's no reason for Hilton to provide any perks as they only get a transfer fee. There's nothing in it for them.

Cheers.

Yes, there is. Ongoing club dues and maintenance fees plus booking fees, etc. Chance to reel you in with offers to upgrade your membership when you travel to their resorts. The previous owner may be defaulting on some of this stuff!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Ongoing club dues and maintenance fees plus booking fees, etc... The previous owner may be defaulting on some of this stuff!

Sorry. There's no free lunch on Hilton.
HGVC will insist that the buyers bring any past due stuff up to date as a prequisite to registering the transfer and removing any lock-out which may be in place.

They won't hand out any new points which encumbers their inventory for good-will, either. They would just as soon take back the TS thru foreclosure and resell it themselves, without being out anything other than court costs.

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) 2 Bedroom Plus, Platinum, Hilton Las Vegas Strip, 8400 annual points. $907.10 yearly MF. Owe MF's for 2010 -- AND only 2,190 points remain for 2011 year.
Cost $7,430 + 225 closing + 299 transfer + 907 MF (2010) + 907 MF (2011) = $9,768 for 2,190, 2011 points...

7000 points available in 2011.... $6,399 + 425 closing + 299 transfer + 909 MF = $8,032 w/7,000 2011 points

I guess the only silver lining of the spent up points is that Hilton is less likely to take it back through ROFR. What do you all think?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, the 8400 point unit is the clear winner, even if the use in 2011 is restricted. Over time, it will provide far more options, for not much more $$.

What I would do to compare these units:
Add the cost to buy and 10, 15 or 20 years of MF's (ignoirng increases) and divide that total by the total # of points that would be earned over that time to get a true cost of ownership per point.

poorguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on what I recently paid for 7000 points at Sea World I can say that one is a good deal.

Regarding your math comparisons for the Vegas unit you are including 2011 MF, but for Sea World you didn't. I think to compare the two you need to factor in 2011 MF for Sea World. Doing so it makes it seem even more clear the Vegas points look like a better deal. As long as you don't mind waiting until 2012 to use the points.

Curious about these numbers and ROFR. Does Hilton look at all of the numbers or just the purchase price? For my transaction I didn't pay 2010 MF since the points weren't available until 2011. It's all in how you break it down b/c your purchase price is very low, but starts to approach mine overall factoring in the MF. I guess my point is rather than saying the base cost is $7430 and then tacking on MFs. Does it stand a better chance of passing ROFR if the base cost is $8307 with no reimbursement of fees. Or does it not matter?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Curious about these numbers and ROFR. Does Hilton look at all of the numbers or just the purchase price? For my transaction I didn't pay 2010 MF since the points weren't available until 2011. It's all in how you break it down b/c your purchase price is very low, but starts to approach mine overall factoring in the MF. I guess my point is rather than saying the base cost is $7430 and then tacking on MFs. Does it stand a better chance of passing ROFR if the base cost is $8307 with no reimbursement of fees. Or does it not matter?

That's a very good "advanced seminar" question.
I think it would be the total lay-out, including HOA-MF's to be paid.
But only the gnomes in the basement of the HGVC office may know. :shrug:

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have decided to move forward with the 8,400 point package. If anyone is interested in 7,000 Sea World points at this reasonable price, let me know via PM and I will pass it on to you. It is a decent deal and I would like to see a TUGGER benefit. I am not a seller and in no way benefit.

Paul

Last edited: