• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui MOC renovation/construction late 2016

Faith

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Super Pool Closure

What are people's experiences with the timing as advertised versus the reality with MOC, or any other Marriott resorts?

We are planning a visit in early December (3rd - 10th), and would not want to stay at MOC if the super pool is still closed. I realize it is supposed to re-open in mid-October, but my experience with construction is that things don't always go according to plan.

Thanks.

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the renovated rooms? what are they doing to them?
Thanks

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
No free laundry in Kauai

I remember the free laundry facilities at Marriott Maui. I used then last July, but when I was at KBC last month the machines were coin operated. Of course, having been to Maui, i did not expect this and went down with all my laundry and no money. This was the first time I came across coin operated facilities in a Marriott. Not a big deal, but when you are doing laundry on vacation, it is nice not fun to worry about having $2 worth of quarters on hand.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some clarification. Are the renovations being done in the older part of the complex; the part that used to be the hotel? Which part of MOC is MM0 & which part is an MM1 in II.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I need some clarification. Are the renovations being done in the older part of the complex; the part that used to be the hotel? Which part of MOC is MM0 & which part is an MM1 in II.

According to Marriott, the room renovations only apply to the old towers (MM0). Keep in mind that they are also renovating the large super pool in the middle of the resort.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

As stated above: MMO is the older Maui Ocean Club Suites and MM1 is the newer Lahaina & Napili Villas. But, when searching in II, MMO will usually pull up both MMO and MM1 units and vice versa; at least in instant exchange search. Always good to pay attention to the specific unit/confirmation to insure it says what you expect. There are a few threads here on TUG that mention that....

cheers

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New carpeting, furniture,appliances including larger refrigerators in the master suites, paint, bedding.

Larger fridges? I've never had an issue with the mini fridge, but that would be a welcome change.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anything over the old size is gravy, to be honest. One of the reasons we didn't consider buying in Napili/Lahaina was because we didn't care that the old units didn't have full kitchens, and now the only thing missing that I would consider to be useful is a cooktop - and I even contemplated just buying a $30 electric burner each time we visited if I really thought I needed one.

Ezrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good thought. Our first stop after landing is always Walmart where we buy an inexpensive electric fry pan to cook all of our breakfasts and some lunch and dinner items. On the way out, we give it to our bellman.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
From email I received today:

During your stay with us, we will be performing an enhancement project to our Super Pool located in the middle of the Molokai, Lanai, and Maui towers. The project is scheduled to begin on August 15, 2016 and conclude on October 15, 2016. Due to the extent of the project the Lokelani Pool Bar will also be closed as we anticipate noise (loud at times) and dust impacting the surrounding area. The Lahaina Pool and the Napili Pool will remain open during your stay from 6:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. daily. The Makai Pool Bar located on the Napili Pool Deck will also be open daily.

In addition to the pool renovation the Molokai, Lanai, and Maui towers will be under going renovation and the installation of new A/C units and larger refrigerators in each suite. This project is scheduled to begin August 15, 2016 and conclude December 15, 2016. Noise may impact the resort experience between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. daily.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
A few days ago we received an exchange for the first week in October for a one bedroom oceanfront in the old section. Since it matches up with our previous week at Waiohai, is 0F, we've already booked flights, and is toward the end of the renovations, we'll hold on to it unless something really great shows up to retrade. We received the same renovation email today.

It is designated OFTM which I believe is the master of a two bedroom lockoff. I looked at the charts to try to determine which building to request, but since it is from a two bedroom lock off, should I be looking at two bedroom locations? We have had ocean view, mountain view and island view in previous visits, and always have received the assigned view, so hope that holds true this time. First time with oceanfront, so any suggestions are welcome. We know high floor is best, but beyond that I need help! Thanks!

Last edited:

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
In the old building there's a wasted recessed space just inside the front door. I read somewhere that they were going to put something there, can't what tho' !

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
In the old building there's a wasted recessed space just inside the front door. I read somewhere that they were going to put something there, can't what tho' !
That's where the new full size refrigerator is going to be installed.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Full size, or bigger-than-the-minifridge-size, which was the original rumor? I'm excited about either, personally, because it's the only appliance I care about in the kitchenette.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
They told us a few weeks ago that they will be putting a 3/4 size refrigerator in the units and they will indeed be taking away part of the closet to accommodate that. That will be a very nice addition.

Mike

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outstanding!

pacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
They told us a few weeks ago that they will be putting a 3/4 size refrigerator in the units and they will indeed be taking away part of the closet to accommodate that. That will be a very nice addition.

Mike

Would this include the studio side units?

Gary

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Would this include the studio side units?

Gary

Hi Gary. No, we were told this larger refrigerator would go in the parlor side and a mini-refrigerator would remain in the studio side. However, my wife noted that the mini-frig in the studio was slightly bigger than the one in the parlor.

Mike

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Ann in CA: when we owned a 1 bdrm ocean front the best unit we got was 9009 in the Molokai bldg. Top floor so the ceiling was higher. Also in that unit there is no divider on the balcony between the bedroom and living room. It gave it a more spacious feel. If you are in the 1 bdrm side of a 2 bdrm, you may have a good chance of getting the corner unit, which is fabulous.

Regarding the bigger refrigerators: :banana::cheer::banana:!!! Even if it's 3/4 size, that's great! One time our fridge stopped working so they brought up a new one. When the maintanence guy looked at the original one, he fiddled with it and got it working. He asked us if we would like to keep it along with the new one. We said absolutely. Whenever we've had more than 2 people, the small one is just not enough. We bring a 1 lb, 1 coil burner that I bought on Amazon. Also a small, lightweight frying pan. That way we can have eggs and pancakes on our balcony in our PJs. Or quesadillas for lunch. We just don't like to go out for every meal.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Just returned from MMO.

Where is the 3/4 fridge being placed? Is the entryway closet the one they are removing to accommodate? I assume the fridge wouldn't open into the entryway itself? Are they still keeping the mini-fridge as well...or removing that in the 1-bedroom section? Anyone have a photo of the planned updated placement/layout? I tried to locate a recent MOC newsletter, but couldn't find one. Not sure if a photo is in the newsletter or not? Doubtful.

Curious. Is there any chance in future that MMO will actually remove the middle bathroom and put in a larger kitchen? I bet this is discussed frequently in the MOC board. While we don't mind the kitchenette, I personally would still prefer a full kitchen vs 3 bathrooms in the 2 bedroom. Others may prefer more bathrooms.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have heard in multiple places that the units will now have two fridges - the original mini, and the new one. As for the second bathroom, I'm not sure which I'd prefer. Replacing it with a full kitchen would certainly help increase the units value on the rental market, but I don't see them investing that kind of money.