• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need an explanation on points

luvmypt

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a 2 bedroom at the Aruba Ocean Club which is set at 3075 points. With that said, can somebody explain to me why we can only take vacation from Sep 2 to Nov 3 according to the points chart? The points to use our 2 bedroom is 2750 during those dates. All other times throughout the year are 3500 points and higher. I called Marriott for an explanation but all I got was hog wash. Thanks.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We own a 2 bedroom at the Aruba Ocean Club which is set at 3075 points. With that said, can somebody explain to me why we can only take vacation from Sep 2 to Nov 3 according to the points chart? The points to use our 2 bedroom is 2750 during those dates. All other times throughout the year are 3500 points and higher. I called Marriott for an explanation but all I got was hog wash. Thanks.

Marriott doesn't give "full value" to you when you choose to redeem your week for points. Very few owners get enough points from their week to be able to book a full week at their home resort (using points.)

Marriott has had many explanations, none that I have found satisfactory, and I now accept this as simply how the system was designed and that this is a hidden cost of their point system.

The point system has many good features, but this has never been a popular feature.

Best,

Greg

(Sue, are you proud of me? That was pretty fair and balanced :) ).

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

You can book your deeded week there anytime during your season. You will not use points to do this, and for that they're not even relevant to the conversation as the points are not being used, only your deeded week is.

The points only come into play if you don't wish to book & occupy your week, but instead "turn in" to Marriott the week in exchange for the 3075 points in order to use those points ELSEWHERE at another resort, or either in a lesser season at your own resort (thus having a possibility of more nights)........The resort "points chart" will give values of nights for different times.

Basically when you elect to "turn in" (trade) your week for points in a given year at your discretion, you'll have 3075 to spread around as you wish---one place or many places----inasmuch as your total "points cost" doesn't exceed 3075.

You'll need more points to stay in Hawaii, less to stay in Branson in off-season, for example.

You ALWAYS retain three options each year----occupy, trade thru Interval, or turn in for points and use as you like. Each year the same options START OVER, and you only do what you elect to do each year.

Points are not really to be used for your home resort unless you're going back in later in a lesser season for more nights, hence the "skim" covered ad nauseum in old threads. Points are for use elsewhere, and creatively. That's the intent of the flexibility.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Greg... its almost as if some of your emotion on this topic has been skimmed from you!!!! :D

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As jme said, if you want to stay at your home resort in your deeded season, Do Not convert your week to points. Ever. Just book your home week through Marriott Owner Services in your season as you always have. For an enrolled deeded week owner, points are just an option. Based on your 3075 points, it looks like you own Gold season, so your week gets a point allocation that is less than what it takes to book Platinum season. This is just like you can't use a Gold week in the old weeks system to book a Platinum week (unless you trade through Interval).

Last edited:

luvmypt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank everyone. We're tired of the Marriott so when we get rid of our 2 bedroom we'll be happy campers.:rofl:

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Marriott doesn't give "full value" to you when you choose to redeem your week for points. Very few owners get enough points from their week to be able to book a full week at their home resort (using points.)

Marriott has had many explanations, none that I have found satisfactory, and I now accept this as simply how the system was designed and that this is a hidden cost of their point system.

The point system has many good features, but this has never been a popular feature.

Best,

Greg

Heh -- Greg, don't be so PC. The skim is a deceptive hidden fee of which most Marriott owners are blissfully unaware.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Best,

Greg

Oh, I'm so glad that finally you've made your peace with it - thank goodness we don't have to worry about your well-being anymore! :rofl:

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
The skinny on the points to stay at a property and the points your week is worth

They arise from two different sources - they were never meant to be relational. First, when this program came into being MVC did not want to throw our week owners under the bus. They wanted to honor week owners that had paid the most and had owned the longest. They took the highest price of every property that had been sold by the developer and gave it a value - they took around 10% and that became the value of the week, if enrolled.

The points charged for a daily stay is based on a total different paradigm. A week owner always has the option to choose between using his week, as a week, if the points would be higher to stay for that 7 days, or turn it into points, if he/she finds the points are less, year after year... Using the Sunday to Friday (with less points per day, I can easily go 10 Summer nights(Sunday-Friday) with my 7 day Newport Platinum Summer). No weekends, less kids... It is our choice, every year... yes, I am a sales executive with MVC.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
They arise from two different sources - they were never meant to be relational. First, when this program came into being MVC did not want to throw our week owners under the bus. They wanted to honor week owners that had paid the most and had owned the longest. They took the highest price of every property that had been sold by the developer and gave it a value - they took around 10% and that became the value of the week, if enrolled.

The points charged for a daily stay is based on a total different paradigm. A week owner always has the option to choose between using his week, as a week, if the points would be higher to stay for that 7 days, or turn it into points, if he/she finds the points are less, year after year... Using the Sunday to Friday (with less points per day, I can easily go 10 Summer nights(Sunday-Friday) with my 7 day Newport Platinum Summer). No weekends, less kids... It is our choice, every year... yes, I am a sales executive with MVC.
Assuming all that is true, it doesn't explain the whys. ie., Why aren't they relational? Why did they choose this arbitrary 10% figure? Why not give you the same amount of points as they charge for your week? Why did Marriott decide to give you less for your week than it charges for your week? Why does Marriott feel justified taking a vig aka skim from those loyal owners?

To simply state "Use your week as you always did to avoid the skim," doesn't solve the problem when you want to convert your week and book a different resort. The system as you describe it gives less than it takes. How does this system "honor" owners, by not screwing them with an even larger skim?

Full disclosure: I don't sell Marriott.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Assuming all that is true, it doesn't explain the whys. ie., Why aren't they relational? Why did they choose this arbitrary 10% figure? Why not give you the same amount of points as they charge for your week? Why did Marriott decide to give you less for your week than it charges for your week? Why does Marriott feel justified taking a vig aka skim from those loyal owners?

To simply state "Use your week as you always did to avoid the skim," doesn't solve the problem when you want to convert your week and book a different resort. The system as you describe it gives less than it takes. How does this system "honor" owners, by not screwing them with an even larger skim?

Full disclosure: I don't sell Marriott.

Considering that Weeks exchanged for DC Points can/does cause breakage in the established Weeks calendars, it seems to me that their only choices were to a) allocate Points allowances that cover expected breakage, which they did, or b) allocate equally as points-in-points-out but charge higher fees in order to cover unused breakage, or, allow inventory from enrolled/converted Weeks to be booked through the DC Exchange Company only as full weeks that conform to the existing Weeks calendars, or c) something else that would benefit MVW much more than it would us, or d) none of the above which would have left us Weeks Owners only one option for DC inclusion, i.e. purchasing Trust Points.

It is what it is. In addition to "you can still use your Week at your home resort or for II exchanges the same as always," I think of skim as the cost of doing business. If you can still find value despite the skim in the DC Points Charts then have at it.

I also don't sell Marriott, but it's no secret that I think Enrolled Weeks are infinitely more valuable as far as usage than either unenrolled Weeks or purchased DC Trust Points. :D

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I don't think anyone questions the fact that Marriott chose to value Sun-Thu nights less than Fri-Sat nights for less-than-a-week bookings. That makes total sense and is one of the things that we like the best about the Points system. Once our youngest is off to college in a little over a year, we look forward to being able to utilize those lower cost weekday nights as you have.

I think what we're all looking for is the business rationale Marriott used for assigning an enrolled week less value than what it takes to book that same full week with points. Why is a Silver Gardenview Barony Beach Club week, for example, only worth 1625 points when elected, but costs 1725 points to book that same week? Why does a Gold Oceanfront week at that same resort elect for 3725 points, but it takes 4000 to book the same? Susan offered an explanation in the post above, but I'd like to hear what you as a Marriott sales exec have to say on that.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think what we're all looking for is the business rationale Marriott used for assigning an enrolled week less value than what it takes to book that same full week with points. Why is a Silver Gardenview Barony Beach Club week, for example, only worth 1625 points when elected, but costs 1725 points to book that same week? Why does a Gold Oceanfront week at that same resort elect for 3725 points, but it takes 4000 to book the same?

I believe the business rationale for skimming the existing owners was to give them a reason to buy points when it was introduced, as the skimmed points kept them from fully utilizing the system.

This used to irritate the crap out of me (it actually still does) but I've accepted that this is simply how the system was designed and is a disguised fee.

We've had all of these debates before -- honestly none of our comments here are new. The system is what it is, with many good features, great properties, and hidden fees (and the skim is not the only one).

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the business rationale for skimming the existing owners was to give them a reason to buy points when it was introduced, as the skimmed points kept them from fully utilizing the system.

This used to irritate the crap out of me (it actually still does) but I've accepted that this is simply how the system was designed and is a disguised fee.

We've had all of these debates before -- honestly none of our comments here are new. The system is what it is, with many good features, great properties, and hidden fees (and the skim is not the only one).

Best,

Greg

Serenity now, Greg, serenity now. :rofl:

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Yeah, peace be on you Greg.

I never drank the Points kool-aid in the first place, so the whole thing has no real impact on me. I just really dislike deception in any form.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Greg,

I'm familiar with and understand the explanations offered by you and Susan.

My question was mainly directed at SeaDoc. I am interested to see what a Marriott sales exec's explanation/spin is on the skim.

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what we're all looking for is the business rationale Marriott used for assigning an enrolled week less value than what it takes to book that same full week with points. Why is a Silver Gardenview Barony Beach Club week, for example, only worth 1625 points when elected, but costs 1725 points to book that same week? Why does a Gold Oceanfront week at that same resort elect for 3725 points, but it takes 4000 to book the same? Susan offered an explanation in the post above, but I'd like to hear what you as a Marriott sales exec have to say on that.

For what this is worth.... a general manager told me early on when I asked the same question ..... that the difference was used to help fund the increased maintenance/ housekeeping caused by the additional check in and out that Destination Points drives.

None the less, I've gotten over it too and find that I like to be able to book OF when I never spent the added money to purchase OF. So looking at it from the other side, that's the "penalty" I pay to book something I do not own. I pay more to book rather than I get less ...

Beverley