• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$14 Per Point?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I hear rumblings that it could be as soon as this fall. Seems unusually aggressive, but perhaps is a response to recent acquisition activity, like the new properties or single family homes that have been announced ...

So, how long do you think it will be until DC points reach $14 per point? :shrug:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This fall might be ambitious but based on the history it'll be $14 soon enough.

I think right now the only single-family home that MVW has direct ties to is the one on Hilton Head, which we've learned through the local registrar's office is a lease arrangement with the owners. All of the other single-family home options are available through an agreement with a single management company, Villas of Distinction.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect it will still be a while. With recent sales figures showing a softening in the market, I predict the price won't go over $14 pp until either the end of 2017 or early 2018. Though I could always be wrong.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In July 2014 the price was $12.12/point. The last price I saw was $13.04/point. So in about two years the price has increased about a buck. So unless they really raise prices quickly, I can't see it going that high that fast.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The time will come when the price increases will hit a wall, and that might not be far off. I think we are seeing some signs of price resistance already. It will be interesting to see where that price point is. For me, the original price was too high. Don't be surprised to see even more use of reduced price sales in lieu of price reductions.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
This fall might be ambitious but based on the history it'll be $14 soon enough.

I think right now the only single-family home that MVW has direct ties to is the one on Hilton Head, which we've learned through the local registrar's office is a lease arrangement with the owners. All of the other single-family home options are available through an agreement with a single management company, Villas of Distinction.

Susan, my pre-arrival "concierge" (LOL) told me that I should do the presentation because I will learn about 7 large homes now available on Hilton Head Island which can be booked using DC points.

If true, seems as though Marriott has REALLY gone full force into this concept for Hilton Head. I asked him where they were located and he said he didn't know (booking, etc was "not his job" so he's only repeating what he's heard from the sales office) and that they didn't like to give out specific addresses because the owners of some of the homes had experienced people riding by, taking pictures, etc, and it "disturbs their privacy".

I just wanted everyone to know about how this "home rental" (DC usage) is evolving at HH. I'll look into it more when my family is there at Grande Ocean the next 3 weeks starting this coming Sunday.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Susan, my pre-arrival "concierge" (LOL) told me that I should do the presentation because I will learn about 7 large homes now available on Hilton Head Island which can be booked using DC points.

If true, seems as though Marriott has REALLY gone full force into this concept for Hilton Head. I asked him where they were located and he said he didn't know (booking, etc was "not his job" so he's only repeating what he's heard from the sales office) and that they didn't like to give out specific addresses because the owners of some of the homes had experienced people riding by, taking pictures, etc, and it "disturbs their privacy".

I just wanted everyone to know about how this "home rental" (DC usage) is evolving at HH. I'll look into it more when my family is there at Grande Ocean the next 3 weeks starting this coming Sunday.

I have heard rumblings of a house near MOW as well. :ponder:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

At Harbour Point a couple weeks ago the picture board advertising the Sales Presentations was a picture of the home on Hilton Head, and the front desk staff thought it was a great idea for us to go by and see it (which we didn't because we were running around doing a lot of other things.) They mentioned only the one on the island.

This is the thread from when the first home was added to the DC Explorer Collection: New vacation option [HHI Home for DC Points Use] A search on the Beaufort County Register of Deeds doesn't have any other similar "LEASE" arrangements between MORI and HHI homeowners/property managers.

If you sign in to owners.marriottvacationclub.com and click on the "Discover Your New Options!" link in the bottom left "Vacation Homes" box, it takes you to a page with two tabs. One links to the single "HHI Private Home" and the other to the "Villas of Distinction" site with 99 more homes/villas but none of those are on HHI.

It's entirely possible that they're adding more every day either through a similar lease arrangement with the owners or through the VoD portal, but it's curious that right now there's nothing official to suggest that there are more private home options in South Carolina than the one. It might be worth noting that the website was updated immediately when the one was announced.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The other TS I own (Club Intrawest) has had a wide variety of housing options for some time. They included fractionals, quaint hotels, other things like cruses ect

So it doesn't surprise me that MVC has branched out for things like vacation homes

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
At Harbour Point a couple weeks ago the picture board advertising the Sales Presentations was a picture of the home on Hilton Head, and the front desk staff thought it was a great idea for us to go by and see it (which we didn't because we were running around doing a lot of other things.) They mentioned only the one on the island.

This is the thread from when the first home was added to the DC Explorer Collection: New vacation option [HHI Home for DC Points Use] A search on the Beaufort County Register of Deeds doesn't have any other similar "LEASE" arrangements between MORI and HHI homeowners/property managers.

If you sign in to owners.marriottvacationclub.com and click on the "Discover Your New Options!" link in the bottom left "Vacation Homes" box, it takes you to a page with two tabs. One links to the single "HHI Private Home" and the other to the "Villas of Distinction" site with 99 more homes/villas but none of those are on HHI.

It's entirely possible that they're adding more every day either through a similar lease arrangement with the owners or through the VoD portal, but it's curious that right now there's nothing official to suggest that there are more private home options in South Carolina than the one. It might be worth noting that the website was updated immediately when the one was announced.

I had numerous specific questions about the "new houses" but got zilch from him, so not sure what's actually in the works. I do think there's something to it going forward, though. If they did one, why not several? HH is so popular that it can support such efforts, especially when the peak summer weeks at the big resorts remain hard to obtain with points or with trades. Out of necessity they must be creative.

Certainly will serve as a nice new pitch at presentations. Smart move.

That begs the big question, Susan, are you soon going to sign a lease arrangement with Marriott????? :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had numerous specific questions about the "new houses" but got zilch from him, so not sure what's actually in the works. I do think there's something to it going forward, though. If they did one, why not several? HH is so popular that it can support such efforts, especially when the peak summer weeks at the big resorts remain hard to obtain with points or with trades. Out of necessity they must be creative.

Certainly will serve as a nice new pitch at presentations. Smart move.

That begs the big question, Susan, are you soon going to sign a lease arrangement with Marriott????? :)

I agree, smart move for them and it'll be interesting to see if new houses come online with a similar lease arrangement. Won't be ours (rentals aren't allowed ) but if I had extra money just laying around I'd approach them to see what they'd require before hitting the market. Wouldn't we all like to have extra money laying around and a chance to partner up with MVW? :D

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Secondary Market price $7 to $7.50

I am baffled as to why anyone would pay $10 or $12 a point. The only thing stopping you from buying at less than $7 a point is Marriott ROFR.

Look at redneck.com and you will find dozens of listing at $4.00 to $4.50. Add $2 for enrolling points and closing costs and the total cost is less than $7.00. Marriott will use ROFR around $4.50, so, you might need to pay more like $4.75 or $5.00.

Be warned that Marriott resale is hard to deal with. Only work with a closing company that will do everything to enroll your points. Final cost $7.00 to $7.50 and the closing company does all the work.

Any statements about $12 going to $14 are based on owners who are not making smart decisions about buying resale. Even Marriott will give you a discount package when you buy a week and points. That cost is around $7.50 a point.

:cool:

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was talking to Marriott yesterday and the points are currently at $13.04.

We are trying to expand our portfolio and researching all of our options to determine which might be the best for us.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Does anyone really pay that much per point? Granted it's been a long time since we've been to a presentation but, the last couple we went to, they offered us a "Special" one time deal to buy points at greatly reduced pricing. We haven't been to a Marriott presentation for a long time. Seems as if the last time we went the price point was less than $10 and the offer was to buy 5,000 points at their original offering price.

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone really pay that much per point? Granted it's been a long time since we've been to a presentation but, the last couple we went to, they offered us a "Special" one time deal to buy points at greatly reduced pricing. We haven't been to a Marriott presentation for a long time. Seems as if the last time we went the price point was less than $10 and the offer was to buy 5,000 points at their original offering price.

Doug you bring up a good point. She was going everything so fast, but I am pretty sure she said the initial purchase requirement was 3450 points. My calculations bring that to a $45k purchase. YIKES!!! :eek:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Doug you bring up a good point. She was going everything so fast, but I am pretty sure she said the initial purchase requirement was 3450 points. My calculations bring that to a $45k purchase. YIKES!!! :eek:

And that, is exactly why we never bother to attend a presentation unless I want to see what the units at a particular resort look like, just in case it's a resort I'm interested at reserving. The last "owners update" we did with Marriott was so I could see what the units at Oceana Palms looked like, and we've used points to reserve there twice.

Way back when, when we "foolishly" purchased at retail from Marriott, we bought a 3 bedroom Ocean Pointe silver season week for $18,900 AND, they tossed in a 7 night cruise in an ocean view stateroom(we booked an Alaskan cruise on Royal Carribean) PLUS a bonus week with I.I. that we used for a 2 bedroom unit in Scotland.

Since we always book either a November or December week, it scares me to think what I'd have to pay retail in points to stay at Ocean Pointe 1 week every year in a 3 bedroom ocean front unit. There's is absolutely NO WAY I'd ever consider buying retail at todays prices. I stand in amazement that timeshare developers are getting the prices they are at this time. As a former salesman, it is impressive.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Only the people buying the smallest packages are paying the full price per point. Larger packages have lower prices per point, and if you opt out of incentives, you get a lower price per point.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was talking to Marriott yesterday and the points are currently at $13.04.

We are trying to expand our portfolio and researching all of our options to determine which might be the best for us.

They were quoted at 13.35 at the new Manhattan "Pulse" June 4th. But, then, one of the deals was a "roll back" to 12.40 ...

Beverley

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
They were quoted at 13.35 at the new Manhattan "Pulse" June 4th. But, then, one of the deals was a "roll back" to 12.40 ...

Beverley

Kind of like the sticker price on a car. ..

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only the people buying the smallest packages are paying the full price per point. Larger packages have lower prices per point, and if you opt out of incentives, you get a lower price per point.
A lower price per point sounds like it should the best incentive you could be offered?