• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast owners help please

califgal

Reaction score
HI ...we are considering purchasing at Newport Coast on the secondary market. We have school age children, we would purchase platinum. If we call one year to date in advance for our home resort will it be easy to get in sometime in the summer months?? Also is it difficult to trade in the summer months for one of the Hawaii, Caribbean, or Europpe properties?? Thank you.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I don't own there but have read enough reviews here that getting your summer week is real tough on the 12 month basis -- and have read that it's not easy even with 2 weeks booked 2 weeks in a row. Seems everyone wants the weeks you want and there aren't enough, so first come first served. Like everywhere else, but NCV seems to be among the worst.

I did love the resort while there and the whole area, Laguna, etc. and would go back - but hate the fact they don't have lockoffs and 1 bdrm always goes wasted with me. If you haven't bought yet, take a look at Canyon Villas - cheaper and lockoffs. However, I own only 1 week there and it took me amost 4 weeks to get a decent booking in the platinum season and even then it was just 2 weeks before the start of the next season! It's also a different prime season than NVC so it would compliment ownership at MCV.

If you want Hawaii buy there for the best chance of getting in. You should buy where you would be happy going 3 out of 4 years - otherwise you may be setting yourself up for disappointment as trading through II is always a risk. I've had a request in at Interval for a March 2007 week at Beachplace since February 2006 without any luck. The more holiday flexibility you have the more successful you'll be with trading.

Brian

DavidW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned at NCV for 3 years (bought resale) and have gotten the summer week I wanted every year by calling 12 mos. ahead.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some people have had problems; others haven't.

Here are two threads with posts by NCV owners regarding their difficulty in getting the peak Platinum weeks you seek - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5804
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18350

Why is it difficult? Simple math. The Platinum season at NCV runs for six months, from June to December. Yet the peak summer season that you and others with school-aged children want, as well as those who simply want to stay there during prime beach season, lasts for less than half of that period. If all Platinum owners wanted that summer vacation time, about half of them would be disappointed. Not all do want that time, but enough do that some disappointment is bound to happen.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some comments from my experience as an owner. We own in both seasons at NCV...

1. Buy a resale platinum. If you can get one for 17K, go for it. Call or e-mail Seth Nock and see what he has.

2. Concurrently, consider buying a resale blue (summer) week at MDS (Desert Springs Villas #1). It books during the same period as the summer weeks at NCV that you want, so you can book consecutively at 13 months out, bettering your chances of getting the NCV interval you want. MDS does not have ROFR and can be had pretty cheap (~5K or less sometimes). Talk to Seth about that too. MDS locks off and you can exchange it into something else.

3. Platinum NCV trades well in the MVCI system. I never traded for anything but a Marriott. Got MAW (Waiohai) without difficulty our first year. We're no longer with II, choosing to rent on our own or deposit with one of the independents. The Platinum intervals qualify for bonus weeks in almost any system. They rent for 2300-2500 without issue.

4. From your handle, it appears you live in California. IMO, buying a fairly local timeshare is smart, as you can easily get to it to occupy, if you want. NCV is a great location, seperated from the rancor of the LA basin, but still close to important things and with easy access to the beaches. It's about 15-20 minutes from SNA (John Wayne Airport). I would estimate that it is about 2/3-3/4 built out (no idea of sales), so there's still upside for appreciation of your intervals. Resale intervals there are still going for less than what we paid developer in 2003, but the difference is now ~20% or so.

If you'd like an unbiased (both the good and the bad) opinion about NCV, contact me privately.

Good luck!

Pat

Last edited:

califgal

Reaction score
For David W.... i see that you own at Westin Maui, like we do. Which system do you think works best for you, Starwood or Marriott?? I've been able to book at Maui easily. We own every other year. Our first year I tried to get into Harborside, during summer and spirng break, but no luck. Will try again for 2007.