• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Back from Ko'Olina

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We have just returned from 12 days at Ko'Olina. We did the 5 day preview then a week exchange. It was busy with lots of kids. Far more than KBC was at the same time last year. My impression was that most people were either exchangers, on a preview or just renting. At the Mai Tai reception lots of people attended but very few raised their hands when asked if they where Ko'olina owners.

I even met a gal who had exchanged in from a resort in Sedona non-marriott. I found over all people kept to themselves here.

My family has now been to all the hawaii Marriott's (except we only spent 1 day at the Poipu resort) My husband and I's list are only slightly different.
HIS 1) Maui ocean Club MINE 1) KBC
2) Kauai Beach Club 2) MOC
3) Waiohai (sp?) 3) W
4) Ko'olina 4) Ko'olina

I am sure others will disagree with our favorites list but for us personally this is it. We have decided that future stays will concentrate on our top 2.

In case people are wondering Ko'Olina lands at the bottom for multiple reasons. The rooms are beautiful. This was our first exchange with a completely garbage view. ( And I had said view made no difference to me in the past well Ko'olina can change your mind on that :bawl: ) We had the Nuclear power plant, Parking lot, freeway view and I left out the construction view as that will not be permanent. We where in Moana Tower rm 20707&20705.

After our 1st 5 days in a 1 bed we also got the lock off portion. Although the room was clean there was an odor that I can only describe as stale urine. I called housekeeping they came and shampooed the rugs. The odor persisted I called again the next day they came and "Ozoned" the room. Although the smell was lessened it never went away. I avoided the room as best I could and the good news is my son had a cold and could not smell anyways. Although housekeeping had called after the first day apparently they were unconcerned there after. So to keep my husband happy I kept my complaints to myself:(

Marriott must have a problem with towel loss because the towel police where out in full force. It did not make a good impression on us the first day. And amazingly later in the week they had no problem confiscating our towels and my kids unopened candy while we were at the bar rest. having dinner. They did howver leave our rafts at our seats and as there was plenty of open seating at the pool I don't think it was an occupancy issue.

Both my husband and I hated the lagoon pool. I think it was one of those good on paper ideas but the reality is a pain (literally). This is the first pool furthest from the ocean and we had to walk by it every time we wanted to go from our room to the other pool or beach. It has a "Sandy Beach" on entering. But the sand is really just very small rocks and travels everywhere. So walking in,around or near this pool with out shoes on is a painful experience.

The Lagoons although pretty are the equivalent of a giant swimmimg pool. No waves of any kind and a great dissapointment to our 11 yo son. We don't need rough surf like in poipu to be happy. The KBC is basically a harbor and has enough to entertain our son.

We did see Multiple turtles in Lagoon 2 and this made up for the lack of waves somewhat for our son, as I had to drag him away.

Ko'Olina just did not have a true Hawaii feel to us. It is off by itself and any beauty is Marriott made. We felt no Aloha spirit here. The 4 days we drove thru the center of Oahu and went to the north shore we saw the beauty of hawaii and the feel we enjoy. We had a lovely time. Ko'olina is a very nice resort but we have found others we perfer and probably won't be looking to return anytime soon.

Best wishes to all, and may we all have our favorites to return to year after year with Marriott:cheer:

Pam

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
To each his own.
We love Ko'Olina -- but I don't see it as a great place for kids at all. Maui or KBC is a far better choice if kids are along.

But for adults -- it is divine.
Quiet, secluded, romantic, peaceful -- those are not adjectives that make a vacation for kids fun.