• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do I leave DRI?

msutton33

Reaction score
I own 10,500 points in the US Collection and I'm a club member. I can't afford to pay the maintenance fees any longer. I would like some advice on how to turn the points back to DRI without hurting my credit. I don't owe any money on the points just the annual maintenance fees. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
There is a Sticky pinned to the top of the DRI board. We used that information ourselves and are in the process of relinquishing our US Collection points (keeping our Hawaii points for now).

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thank you very much...I just saw the sticky. I will start the process today.

Just be aware that this can be a long process and they're not very quick about it. You'll have to keep on top of them.

msutton33

Reaction score
I sent my email and received a ticket number. What would be the best way to stay on top on this. Does anyone have a phone number to call or any suggestions on how to stay on top if this?

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I sent my email and received a ticket number. What would be the best way to stay on top on this. Does anyone have a phone number to call or any suggestions on how to stay on top if this?

I stayed on top of it mostly with E-mails. It gave me a paper trail of what/when as far as communication and intent. I made at least one or two phone calls as well.

gmidkiff

Reaction score
There is a Sticky pinned to the top of the DRI board. We used that information ourselves and are in the process of relinquishing our US Collection points (keeping our Hawaii points for now).

So, where do I find the referenced Sticky? Looked at the top of this board but cannot find it.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just be aware that this can be a long process and they're not very quick about it. You'll have to keep on top of them.
Clearly, for some people the process can take awhile, BUT for me the whole process was less than 45 days.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Clearly, for some people the process can take awhile, BUT for me the whole process was less than 45 days.

I think it's quicker/easier if you own a trust/points account. Deeded weeks seem to take months to process. At least it took months in our case.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

We own points. Took at most two weeks to receive the docs that needed to be notarized. We then sat on the docs for several months and mailed them from Santa Fe the day before we were finishing our July vacation. Less than two weeks after that we found that we had been downgraded from Platinum to Silver, with our US points gone leaving us with just Hawaii as requested.

msutton33

Reaction score
I have a vacation scheduled for Thanksgiving. Should I wait until after Thanksgiving to submit the paperwork like you all did?

I've already paid the MF on the points I would be using for the Thanksgiving trip. Don't they belong to me?

I'm scared to loose the Thanksgiving reservations. Airline tickets have been purchased, cars rented etc.

Trying to think ahead.

Any advise would be appreciated.

thank you!!!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'd suggest you call and ask, just so you have someone at DRI telling you how your specific situation works -- especially since your Thanksgiving vacation is only 45 days or so before next years maintenance fees are due.

They had our paperwork to us within two weeks of receiving a ticket number. That was in March or early April. We had Santa Fe already lined up for the end of July and called because we'd heard that people were losing reservations during the give backs, despite that fact that they were paid through the year. We were told "just send the paperwork back when you're ready" -- even though the documents said notarize and return within 30 days.

We got them notarized right after the 4th of July and carried them with us to Sedona and Santa Fe, then mailed them before we left Santa Fe on July 28th. We still haven't received official notice that our US collection points are gone, but they were gone off the reservation screen in two weeks, possibly less because I was watching my bank account for the checks to clear, not the website.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you call and ask, just so you have someone at DRI telling you how your specific situation works

Yea, good luck with that. One person will tell you one thing, another person will tell you the opposite. Which one is correct, how do you know? DRI's facebook page is littered with such information. Whatever they tell you should be confirmed independently. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Would you be able to tell me the number I need to call please.

877-497-7521, option 1 English, then 3 is direct to Loss Mitigation.

Last edited: