• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The long goodbye to DRI

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I hope you do report back with what your lawyer's counsel is, the way you were converted to points by default for not responding seems like it was illegal slamming to me. I wish you the best in this contract dispute.

I dont own DRI, but have stayed in several of their resorts and like their quality.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

azfamily

Reaction score
When Diamonds took over, everybody was automatically converted to points. This is the only way Diamond runs their reservation system.

Nobody was simply converted because they didn't respond to the letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why 3500 pts and 6300 pts.
I don't see those numbers in the grid
los_abrigados.PNG

Last edited:

azfamily

Reaction score
I just looked at 2016 availability, those are the numbers listed if you book right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you can get it at 6300 pts. When I check Los Abrigados, 2bdrm, Jan 2016 to Aug 2016 with my Hawaii Collection, the minimum point I can get is 8000 pts (Jan 10).

Michael1991

Reaction score
Interesting that you can get it at 6300 pts. When I check Los Abrigados, 2bdrm, Jan 2016 to Aug 2016 with my Hawaii Collection, the minimum point I can get is 8000 pts (Jan 10).

I'm seeing the same result, nothing less than 8000pts for a two bedroom. I'm US Collection.

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, the OP had no contract with DRI for them to breach. ILX may have breached her contract but that is between her and ILX (who is no longer an entity).

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score
When Diamonds took over, everybody was automatically converted to points. This is the only way Diamond runs their reservation system.

Nobody was simply converted because they didn't respond to the letter.

While this may or may not have happened with ILX, this is not what happened at Powhatan Plantation. There are still many fixed week owners at Powhatan that Diamond is trying to convert to points but have been unsuccessful in talking them into converting. So automatic conversion is not a standard Diamond practice.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
While this may or may not have happened with ILX, this is not what happened at Powhatan Plantation. There are still many fixed week owners at Powhatan that Diamond is trying to convert to points but have been unsuccessful in talking them into converting. So automatic conversion is not a standard Diamond practice.

That was my impression too, I spoke with an owner at Sedona Summit and they were being pressured to convert their deeded week, I advised them not to do it.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Michael1991

Reaction score
There is no reason a fixed week or flex week can not be assigned point values. An example of deed language for a "flex timeshare interest" at a Diamond managed resort might be "An undivided 15000 interest in fee simple as tenant in common in and to Unit Numbers 811AB, 812AB, 813AB, 814AB, 815AB."

But assigning point values to intervals is altogether different from converting a deeded ownership to trust ownership. I don't believe Diamond did that type of conversion in the case of ILX or any other case. That would be far too egregious.

Noonga

Reaction score
I have long since walked away from this, but as I was converting my email to a new system, I found this link.

In short, I did not read all of the above, but AZFamily, you were not on the call or with me when I dealt with Diamond, and how they, and the manager basically said there is nothing they will do for us other than we pay them 4k (and 2k later I think it was), or we walk away with nothing.

Was ILX worth nothing? If so, why would Diamond buy junk. It was obviously worth something, and the fact that they took advantage of owners like me makes me furious again.

I have since foreclosed on the property and took a credit hit. I did't HAVE the $500 to put towards them, and they would not give an inch. I put 16k+ into my timeshare and thought I would have something for the future.

But anyways, it's over. You could say whatever you want but you will never see my point of view as I read through your posts.

I have been asked about timeshares over the past year, and I have, and always will, give Diamond Resorts an absolute 0 on a 1-10 scale.

The fact that they even wanted me to pay them $500 to avoid bad credit, when they got what they got from me, makes me want to puke.

Time to go post again on social media how bad they are again.

Good day.

azfamily

Reaction score
I have long since walked away from this, but as I was converting my email to a new system, I found this link.

In short, I did not read all of the above, but AZFamily, you were not on the call or with me when I dealt with Diamond, and how they, and the manager basically said there is nothing they will do for us other than we pay them 4k (and 2k later I think it was), or we walk away with nothing.

Was ILX worth nothing? If so, why would Diamond buy junk. It was obviously worth something, and the fact that they took advantage of owners like me makes me furious again.

I have since foreclosed on the property and took a credit hit. I did't HAVE the $500 to put towards them, and they would not give an inch. I put 16k+ into my timeshare and thought I would have something for the future.

But anyways, it's over. You could say whatever you want but you will never see my point of view as I read through your posts.

I have been asked about timeshares over the past year, and I have, and always will, give Diamond Resorts an absolute 0 on a 1-10 scale.

The fact that they even wanted me to pay them $500 to avoid bad credit, when they got what they got from me, makes me want to puke.

Time to go post again on social media how bad they are again.

Good day.

Hello again...

I do concur that the Diamond takeover was not ideal (at the time), but since ILX ran their program into the ground, it was the only option.

I am glad that you were able to rid yourself of the timeshare that did not fit your needs any longer.

I certainly wish your financial situation had not put you into the predicament that it did.

Would I ever buy a timeshare again? No.

That said, I am enjoying my Diamond ownership.

I had 2 stellar trips this summer.

You can post what you want on social media.
Unfortunately your "reviews" of what Diamond IS and what "happened to you", are 180 degrees apart.

Diamond did not cause ILX to go under.
Diamond did purchase (save) ILX and this conversion generated a much more costly product.
The product, however, is significantly better than ILX (better locations and better maintained properties). Hence the premium in cost.

There just is a great learning curve to make it work.

Once you let the fees (delinquencies) get backed up as far as you did, it left you with really bad options.

At least you were able to get out fairly inexpensively.

Safe travels!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I get the Notice of Delinquent Assessment. I call them and I have 1 of three options:
A) Pay over 4k in 30 days to keep it.
B) Pay them 500 and call it a wash
C) Let it forclose.

If OP had tried to work with DRI instead of stonewalling them, they may have received an offer like the above. IMO paying $500 and avoiding the ugly alternatives is well worth it.

George