• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Still Owe and Want To Get Out

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister still owes a good bit on her timeshare with Diamond. Problem is she still owes money on the agreement and has to pay the $5,200 a year maintenance fees. 33,000 points annual

I myself just bought a Wyndham resell and I did not see many diamond ones listed. Looks like she may be out of luck and stuck with this for a really long time. Other then just taking out a cheaper interest loan any other advice?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
She could offer a deed back in lieu of foreclosure.

Sho could let it go into foreclosure.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
She could offer a deed back in lieu of foreclosure.

Sho could let it go into foreclosure.

Thanks we recommended foreclosure and of course it will take a hit on her credit. Not something she really wants to do. Recommended airbnb to start renting out her weeks to get it paid off. Let's see if that will work for her.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Deed back in lieu of foreclosure is not foreclosure. It means that the deed is given back to the timeshare INSTEAD of foreclosure.

Air BnB is not an ideal site for timeshare rentals - for one thing, their rules are very liberal and allow the renter to cancel at the last minute - leaving the owner holding the bag.

A better choice would be www.redweek.com - which is specifically for timeshare rentals.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thanks we recommended foreclosure and of course it will take a hit on her credit. Not something she really wants to do. Recommended airbnb to start renting out her weeks to get it paid off. Let's see if that will work for her.

Check the rules, but I don't think DRI lets you rent reservations booked with Club points.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
THE Club® Legal Documents

I found the place that talks about rentals.

2.5 Member Rentals.
2.5.1 A Member is not prohibited from periodically renting the
Accommodation reserved for the Use Period or the reserved Other
Redemption Opportunity pursuant to these Club Rules. However,
the use of Points to reserve Accommodations or Other Redemption
Opportunities for commercial purposes or for any other purpose
other than the personal use of the Member or the Member’s family
and guests is prohibited. Use by a Member of public advertising or an
online website to seek renters shall be deemed a prohibited commercial
use.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Deed back in lieu of foreclosure is not foreclosure. It means that the deed is given back to the timeshare INSTEAD of foreclosure.

Air BnB is not an ideal site for timeshare rentals - for one thing, their rules are very liberal and allow the renter to cancel at the last minute - leaving the owner holding the bag.

A better choice would be www.redweek.com - which is specifically for timeshare rentals.

The problem is that a lender usually won't allow or do a deed in lieu unless one is already in default. Why be willing to do a deed in lieu from someone who can afford to pay and is paying but just doesn't want to. You have to take the credit hit first by going in to default before they will entertain the option.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Agreed, but it would be the first thing I would try.

DRI is accepting deedbacks: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224859

The problem with the deedback option is this;

In order to qualify, the HOA (MFs) must be up-to-date and the owner must have a zero balance on the loan.

Contacting DRI is probably the best first step for the OPs sister to start to at least see what options they may have for her. Unfortunately, I think it will be few.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister still owes a good bit on her timeshare with Diamond. Problem is she still owes money on the agreement and has to pay the $5,200 a year maintenance fees. 33,000 points annual...any other advice?

First of all, to clarify, does she owe money on the mortgage or on maintenance fees (MFs) or both?

But another piece of advice that is almost always offered here on TUG to people in situations like your sister's is to watch out for some of these companies and firms that claim to end your TS agreement, cancel your mortgage, end your MFs, sue the developer sales people, donate your TS to charity, etc. They will charge her thousands of dollars and then may or may not do what she paid them to do.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, to clarify, does she owe money on the mortgage or on maintenance fees (MFs) or both?

But another piece of advice that is almost always offered here on TUG to people in situations like your sister's is to watch out for some of these companies and firms that claim to end your TS agreement, cancel your mortgage, end your MFs, sue the developer sales people, donate your TS to charity, etc. They will charge her thousands of dollars and then may or may not do what she paid them to do.

Yeah I was afraid of the companys that say they can help. Afraid she will just go deeper in the hole. Thanks for the advice.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not great to hear that but I appreciate the information.

No wonder timesharing companies get a bad reputation. They ask and get ridiculous purchase prices, overcharge for property management, make resales difficult, and don't allow rentals.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
No wonder timesharing companies get a bad reputation. They ask and get ridiculous purchase prices, overcharge for property management, make resales difficult, and don't allow rentals.

That statement would be for "THE Club" which is DRI's version of exchanges. For non-members of "THE Club", I don't believe you are prohibited from renting at your home resort.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
That statement would be for "THE Club" which is DRI's version of exchanges. For non-members of "THE Club", I don't believe you are prohibited from renting at your home resort.

To be technically correct, you're are allowed to rent it. You are NOT allowed to advertise it as a rental.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
To be technically correct, you're are allowed to rent it. You are NOT allowed to advertise it as a rental.
What collection does she own?
Hawaii or US?
I borrowed against my 401 K to pay mine off and now pay myself back. If you use it correctly buying from the developer is always better.
Resell doesn't work. I hope I didn't buy RCI Points. Those are useless.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
What collection does she own?
Hawaii or US?
I borrowed against my 401 K to pay mine off and now pay myself back. If you use it correctly buying from the developer is always better.
Resell doesn't work. I hope I didn't buy RCI Points. Those are useless.

Dumbest thing you can do borrowing from your 401K, all that lost compounded growth. Methinks you are a DRI salesman or a shill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No I'm not. I paid myself back at 5 percent interest.

Use the system. Don't let it use you.

Dumbest thing you can do borrowing from your 401K, all that lost compounded growth. Methinks you are a DRI salesman or a shill.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No I'm not. I paid myself back at 5 percent interest.

Use the system. Don't let it use you.

How much compound interest did you lose while paying it back?

You paid it back with after tax dollars, how much income tax did you pay on that?

When you take disbursements you will pay income tax on it again.

This is a dumber move than financing it with the developer. If you can't pay cash for a timeshare, rent don't buy.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I Agree that You need to be smart with your money but renting only makes the rich richer. Are you a landlord?

If you can budget and own. Do it.
Owning is always better then renting.

Do u disagree?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I Agree that You need to be smart with your money but renting only makes the rich richer. Are you a landlord?

If you can budget and own. Do it.
Owning is always better then renting.

Do u disagree?

I agree with the article you linked, its a last resort, but I don't consider using it to buy a timeshare a valid last resort.

Owning a timeshare is not always better than renting, so I disagree with that statement.

I rent some of my timeshare points to offset my annual fees.

You might want to read this article, it does a better job of explaining all the disadvantages of 401K loans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/avoid-the-temptation-of-dipping-into-your-401k-2015-06-04

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i cant imagine anyone who has an owners best interests in mind would ever suggest borrowing from your 401k to pay off a timeshare loan.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes. I was giving them an option most don't know about. Im not pro timeshare or not.
I only told her what I did. I don't know her personal finances. But saying it's a bad choice is not smart to say.

Most people don't know that option is available. It saved me $9,000 dollars in interest alone. So it was perfect for me.

I paid it back and now only have Maintenance fees. I have done it on both of my 2 most recent purchases so it's worked for me perfectly.

Brad

QUOTE="SmithOp, post: 1949309, member: 44697"]I agree with the article you linked, its a last resort, but I don't consider using it to buy a timeshare a valid last resort.

Owning a timeshare is not always better than renting, so I disagree with that statement.

I rent some of my timeshare points to offset my annual fees.

You might want to read this article, it does a better job of explaining all the disadvantages of 401K loans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/avoid-the-temptation-of-dipping-into-your-401k-2015-06-04

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It saved me $9,000 dollars in interest alone.

If you are comparing borrowing from your 401K, to financing it through the developer, you are talking about the lesser of 2 evils - not a good deal. It almost never makes sense to finance a timeshare.