• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI -Alexandria VA (Washington DC) does it ever show up

dddone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to take the kids to Washington DC either during Spring Break or Thanksgiving week. Do Alexandria or National Harbor ever trade on RCI? I rarely see any sightings for these resorts. Would this be an impossible trade?

Thanks!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cant speak to RCI but there are Wyndham owners that would be happy to make the reservation and rent it to you. If I was to do it for you I would want to make a profit, Im not offering so dont call but there are others that will do it just to cover some or most of their maintenance fees (about $5/1000 points) A two bedroom at either place will be about 200000 -225000 points or $1000+

Im a DC native, I went to High School 9 blocks from the Capitol building and although I havent stayed at either resort, (I stay at my mother in laws house when I go to DC) I have recommendations on where to stay.

If your plan is to just go into town several times to sightsee or visit the Smithsonian stay in Alexandria because its on the Metro line. Park the car and forget it, or better yet, leave the car at home.

National Harbor is somewhat car dependent. And if you dont know the beltway or DC streets you are in for a shock...prepare to get lost. If you plan day trips to Mount Vernon, or Annapolis or even Baltimore's Inner Harbor, you will need a car. and National Harbors location on the Beltway is convenient. Also Im told there is a water taxi from National Harbor to Alexandria and the Metro as well as a shuttle bus from National Harbor to a metro station.

Enjoy

Last edited:

dddone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cant speak to RCI but there are Wyndham owners (like me) that would be happy to make the reservation and rent it to you. I want to make a profit, but there are others that will do it just to cover some or most of their maintenance fees (about $5/1000 points) A two bedroom at either place will be about 200000 -225000 points or $1000+

Thanks for the information Ron.

So, if I pay somebody to make a reservation for me, am I correct to assume that it would need to be done about 11 months out?

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if I pay somebody to make a reservation for me, am I correct to assume that it would need to be done about 11 months out?

If you want to go during Spring Break, that will be one of the busiest times. Potentially available at 10 months, but better odds at 11.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak about how often it shows up at RCI, but it showed up on the sell-off list at SFX once. I presume someone couldn't use it at the last minute. I so wished I have vacation time to grab it, but I didn't have the time.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Ron.

As has already been said spring break will be busy and I cant see availability that far out but there is a one bedroom at Old Town and lots of ones, twos and threes at National Harbor right now, for Thanksging

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to take the kids to Washington DC either during Spring Break or Thanksgiving week. Do Alexandria or National Harbor ever trade on RCI? I rarely see any sightings for these resorts. Would this be an impossible trade?

Thanks!

I have never seen either of these resorts in RCI. However, I notice you are a
Worldmark Owner. I am doing a direct trade with a Worldmark owner for a Wyndham reservation. Try posting in the TUG marketplace for a direct exchange. dawn

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I was able to pick up a week via RCI exchange for Dec 2005, but obviously that's been a long time ago.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
It's rare but I have seen deposits for either Wyndham Alexandria or, more recently, Wyndham National Harbor, for the winter months. I doubt you'll see much for a Thanksgiving holiday week at either of these resorts through RCI. Current bulk space bankings from Wyndham resorts go through January 2012. If any Thanksgiving 2011 weeks were deposited, they're gone.

If your spring break week is in March but not immediately before or after Easter weekend, you may have a chance there. If it's in April, extremely unlikely. April Cherry Blossom season in DC is a very popular time for Wyndham owners to book a visit. Both resorts fill with Wyndham owners and nothing's left to deposit with RCI.

I agree with the advice to seek a private exchange with a Wyndham owner. Also, if you'll be traveling into DC more than once or twice during your stay, I'd recommend choosing Alexandria over National Harbor. It's so easy to walk the half-block to the metro from the Alexandria location, plus the resort has free garage parking. National Harbor charges for local garage parking but it offers more activities if you'll be traveling with kids and you want to spend a few days at the resort itself. Either location offers plenty for adults to enjoy locally. Both are great vacation spots! :whoopie:

Wait a minute. Doesn't WorldMark have access to direct bookings at National Harbor?!??!? You may want to double-check on that. Otherwise, go for the private exchange.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
National Harbor had several weeks this past March. They still have plenty of developer units that probably accounted for the deposits. Most of them get given away on promotions to get people to the sales presentation, but the excess does get deposited once in a while. Can't tell you when or how far in advance, though. They only required around 15 TPU's for the exchange, which seemed pretty cheap.

itisme

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about staying in Massanutten

Thanks!

DC is around 2 to 2 1/2 hr drive from Massanutten. You can drive and park at the DC Union Station ($17 for parking I think). Massanutten is always available including rentals under $500 for 2BD units.

Last year we did this with my kids and their cousins. We took a hop-on-hop-off from the Union Station but you could basically walk to most of the attractions.

We are planning to do it again this year.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try looking for rentals on ebay. I rented at Alexandria thru ebay for about 3 years (paid about $100 per night for a 1 bedroom) before we broke down and bought points there. ( And we ALWAYS use our points there-it's my husband's favorite resort!) Good luck !

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have our week booked for Cherry Blossom festival 2012 too! I didn't know about the NY City Ballet being at the Kennedy Center..thanks for the heads up :) Looking forward to it already....

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have our week booked for Cherry Blossom festival 2012 too! I didn't know about the NY City Ballet being at the Kennedy Center..thanks for the heads up :) Looking forward to it already....

Here's the schedule up to next July http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/?fuseaction=searchGenre&genre=BAL

Seriously considering calling up and seeing if any thing is open for the 7/1/12-7/8/12 period as the Paris Opera Ballet will be at KC. They don't come to the US that often.

Read some good reviews of ABT's new Nutcracker that premiered last year, might have to go to that.