• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental Rates

tiger1210

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! The rates for car rentals in Maui for January are higher than I have seen. Anyone have any ideas to cut the rate?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We booked for March on Maui through discounthawaiicarrental. For the first time ever they beat the corporate rates I get with Avis. Rental is with Alamo. I can't remember right now what the cost is.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Here's a thread with some good suggestions: Maui Car Rentals

I got the best rate through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but I also booked through AutoSlash in case the rates go down. I just have to remember to cancel one of them.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the best rate through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but I also booked through AutoSlash in case the rates go down. I just have to remember to cancel one of them.
I have done the exact two things with my Kauai booking (for Nov 2012).

Price so far for large size (all in) for 14 days using Discount Hawaii Car Rental is $571 and $563. Autoslash has come in around 600'ish.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Right now I'm at $450 all in for an economy for 16 days on Kauai. I booked
Through Discounthawaiicarrental. I booked that in November and the prices
Haven't been close since. I also have autoslash watching for me. I'll probably
Start trying Priceline again in February.

mlpmd56

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too about had a stroke when I went to make a reservation today. OUCH. Also tried Priceline with no relief. $600 for a full size for less than a week. I found Discount Hawaii by googling rent a wreck and Maui....and WOW. Within minutes I had a full size for 6 days from Alamo for $285 all inclusive. I was totally impressed. Normally, I am more organized and do this way ahead, but we are going on Saturday (Jan 14) and I was starting to think we were going to be eating hot dogs all week. Smile!
Marcy

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Just checked. Our two week intermediate car on Maui in March is total $475.84 through discounthawaiicarrentals. The car is with Alamo.

TEK224

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked back in late September for a car in early Feb. Got a mid-size for 5 days for $225 tx included. Got same costs for 5 days both on Maui and Oahu. Haven't seen anything close to that since.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been monitoring rental car prices for our trip to Oahu and Maui later this month since last winter. The rates at rated out high and then gradually fell until sometime in September, when we found the best rates on Costco. Although we have continued to check, the rates have not dropped, but have risen substantially.

Just did a check on Costco for our dates on Maui, and found they are showing NO AVAILABILITY for Budget and Avis for economy through full-size cars, and rates over $1300 :eek::eek: for economy/compact cars with Alamo and Enterprise, while some of the bigger cars are $760+ for the same time period! However, the rate we got in September is $475...though I'm guessing it will be a bit higher due to the tax increase; still, it won't be anything like $760.

We intend to keep up the search until we depart, but are not feeling too optimistic about getting a better rate at this point. As a matter of fact, these recent findings are making us feel pretty good about what we have, even though our rates don't look good against the prices others have reported here on TUG.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We are going to Maui 18 days, March-April, and Costco's rate is $691. I think that is very high for Maui, but I am going to lock it in today. I am concerned.

I kind of knew from an earlier post here on TUG that car rentals were going to increase because of a new tax. So I guess they are getting us with those costs too. At least it's not just aimed at timeshare owners this time. :rofl:

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked 16 days on BI through Costco(Budget). $20/day plus tax etc.
Same price as discounthawaiicarrentals. Cheaper than Hotline.

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
This week I am paying $320 (total) for a full size for 7 days from Avis (AARP discount code). Booked this last March and have been checking regularly ever since. Also checked hotwire and bid on Priceline...but didn't want to settle for a (much) smaller car so I bid accordingly (and didn't get anything).

FWIW,
ilene

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently sitting at $563 all-in for 13 days in Kauai in Nov for a full-size (through discounthawaiicarrental). This is a far cry from the $225'ish (all-in, full size, 14 days) the last two times I went to Hawaii. I will continue to look for ways to lower that $563. IF this trend of higher car rental keeps up, I wonder if this will hurt the Hawaiian tourism.

nalismom

TUG Member
Reaction score
One question...when folks say 'all-in' does this mean full insurance coverage or just all taxes and fees?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
One question...when folks say 'all-in' does this mean full insurance coverage or just all taxes and fees?

For me, 'all-in' means just total cost of the rental, fees and taxes includes, but not including insurance.

TEK224

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something on discounthawaiicarrentals? After reading posts here, I went to their site. But the prices looked the same as what was showing up on the company's site. I didn't notice any cheaper rates, unless I'm not looking right.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something on discounthawaiicarrentals? After reading posts here, I went to their site. But the prices looked the same as what was showing up on the company's site. I didn't notice any cheaper rates, unless I'm not looking right.

This is what I found too. No difference at this point. Actually, when I checked this site a couple of times previously, I didn't get any deals better than what I was seeing elsewhere. Wonder if it's just a matter of timing and luck.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timely Question

I tried to find a rental yesterday for our trip to Maui at the end of this month. Most of the quotes were for $600 (plus all the extras) and Dollar and Avis said they had none available.

We decided not to rent a car. Fortunately, we have a car we rented months ago for our first week while we're at MOC. For our second week at the Marriott hotel, we are going to stay put at the hotel and use a cab to get to the airport.

Greed is everywhere these days.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I booked through www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com 2 days ago for the end of the month for 10 nights and got a rate of $331 from Alamo for an economy car. Don't search on their website but rather fill in the inquiry form and they will respond within 24 hours.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I booked through www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com 2 days ago for the end of the month for 10 nights and got a rate of $331 from Alamo for an economy car. Don't search on their website but rather fill in the inquiry form and they will respond within 24 hours.

What island?

I was able to get a compact car on Maui for 18 nights, $669 all in through Costco, dates are 3/17-4/4. I hope to find it cheaper later, but at least I have something. Rick is shocked at that price, because we paid $280 for two weeks at the end of August for Maui.

These vacations are getting more and more expensive, but I believe it's the additional taxes for 2012 causing the increase. I am not sure it's taxes causing it, but I think so.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maui picking up at the airport.

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
For me, 'all-in' means just total cost of the rental, fees and taxes includes, but not including insurance.

me too. taxes & fees & i'll fill up the gas tank myself. :)

On the surface, I agree that the prices do look the same. However, they were able to get me a better rate than I was able to get myself for 7 days on the Big Island where I rented a convertible & picked up in Kona but dropped off in Hilo.

IMHO - it doesn't hurt to contact them anyway cause they don't require a credit card to hold a reservation they make.

ilene

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Discount Car Rentals came through yesterday with excellent prices for Oahu May 19-26 and Maui May 26-June 2. Oahu $208 and Maui $217 for economy cars. One is with Thrifty the other with Budget.