• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

To be Gold VIP or not to be Gold VIP

VetteSteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are about to loose our VIP Gold status due to expiring bonus points. We had purchased through Wyndham before discovering TUG from a friend. Our current ownership is as follows: purchased through Wyndham ~ first purchase was105K in Access. Second purchase 238K deeded of so called repo points at Williamsburg's Kings Gate. After discovering TUG we have bought after market points on eBay. 500K in Access for $500.00 and 233K in Access for $1,820.00. So we have a total of 1,076,000 points. 343K purchased through Wyndham and 733K after market points in access.

Today we went to an owner update at Wyndham Governors Green in Williamsburg, VA. It did raise a few concerns that in need to find answers to. The salesperson stated we were loosing Gold VIP in May so we would be reverting back to Silver VIP. Of course they made it sound like the end of the world if we did not retain Gold status.
Sales stated with out gold we may pay a lot of reservation and house keeping fees being Silver VIP with over a million points. Sales also stated there were other restriction with resale points, one of which I think was they may not be transferred into RCI at the end of the year.

So to start out on my questions. Are all of you large point owners in VIP? How does not being VIP or upper level VIP effect how you utilize you points? What are the draw backs of after market points in the Wyndham system?

We have a friends that are older and want to get rid of their Wyndham thus getting out of maintenance fees. They have about 400K points purchased through Wyndham. Another question is there any way to get their points into our membership and have them count towards upgrading our VIP status. I think they were taken advantage of and screwed by Wyndham sales people so they would not mind screwing Wyndham.

I am sure there may be other questions arise with answers to these.

Thanks in advance for you responses.
VetteSteve

lcml11

Reaction score
We are about to loose our VIP Gold status due to expiring bonus points. We had purchased through Wyndham before discovering TUG from a friend. Our current ownership is as follows: purchased through Wyndham ~ first purchase was105K in Access. Second purchase 238K deeded of so called repo points at Williamsburg's Kings Gate. After discovering TUG we have bought after market points on eBay. 500K in Access for $500.00 and 233K in Access for $1,820.00. So we have a total of 1,076,000 points. 343K purchased through Wyndham and 733K after market points in access.

Today we went to an owner update at Wyndham Governors Green in Williamsburg, VA. It did raise a few concerns that in need to find answers to. The salesperson stated we were loosing Gold VIP in May so we would be reverting back to Silver VIP. Of course they made it sound like the end of the world if we did not retain Gold status.
Sales stated with out gold we may pay a lot of reservation and house keeping fees being Silver VIP with over a million points. Sales also stated there were other restriction with resale points, one of which I think was they may not be transferred into RCI at the end of the year.

So to start out on my questions. Are all of you large point owners in VIP? How does not being VIP or upper level VIP effect how you utilize you points? What are the draw backs of after market points in the Wyndham system?

We have a friends that are older and want to get rid of their Wyndham thus getting out of maintenance fees. They have about 400K points purchased through Wyndham. Another question is there any way to get their points into our membership and have them count towards upgrading our VIP status. I think they were taken advantage of and screwed by Wyndham sales people so they would not mind screwing Wyndham.

I am sure there may be other questions arise with answers to these.

Thanks in advance for you responses.
VetteSteve

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208592&highlight=status

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
first of all the scare tactics are just that ..scare tactics. Silver VIP owners get unlimited houskeeping. and although you dont get unlimited transaction fees, you get 1 for every 77000 points (and remember you can make several reservations in a day all on one transaction credit) At worst they are $30 each, probably not a deal killer, and certainly not worth buying new points at Wyndham.

I think you can blend the two accounts (you and your friends) but they will still be owners. The risk to them is that if you dont pay the fees, Wyndham may come after them. If that isnt a concern. my thought would be to do this: Buy a small contract on ebay in to your account, with their name and your name on the deed, and do the same into their account. You should then be able to get owner services to blend the accounts into one. Voila Gold

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron above has given you some very good advice. I am sure you will be a little unhappy going from Gold to Silver VIP status. But to help out your friends and get a kick up to GOLD - would be a WIN-WIN for both of you.

Should cost you 2 sets of transfer and closing fees - I would be CERTAIN to encourage your good friends to go on a vacation or two yearly and keep copies of those printed out reservations - shows they are active partners/owners on the account.

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
Talk to the title department, they should do this with just one contract in both names. The contract should be able to be a joint contract that already is in either your or their account. Just do a new deed on one of them. This should put all the points into one account and should take the points in the combined account to over 700,000.

Last edited:

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
As I read the above entries, I do it with some disbelief. But I will suspend my disbelief for a moment and dwell on the potential upside of what is being said.

If the combining of accounts is as easily done as suggested, then suddenly accounts with developer points have a far greater potential value that accounts with resale points. Take three owners, the first with 300k developer points and the second with 300k resale points, both wanting to sell their points. The third owner has 100k developer points and would like to go to VIP Silver. Should the third owner consider the 300k resale points? No, not if the third owner can work a deal with the first owner with 300k developer points to combine accounts.

That nice little 300k developer points account is potentially far more valuable to some owners wishing to upgrade their status, than the 300k resale points account.

Gee, how can I cash in on this? How easy is it to split one account into multiple accounts? If possible, I could start breaking off chunks of developer contracts into separate accounts and then merge with another owner desiring to upgrade their status. Just how much might that be worth to you, a potential upgrade desiring owner, with only a small amount of developer points?

Oh, but now I come back to my disbelief. If merging accounts is as easily done as stated, Wyndham will shut that avenue down at some point.

Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing the results of these attempts to merge accounts and to upgrade VIP status.

Jim

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, can I be first on your wait list? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have trouble believing this approach would work. I am aware that you can add a new user on to your account by adding them on to one of your deeds (or getting a small cheap one and adding them during the transfer). Under this scenario, it is where the person being added doesn't already have an account. I am not sure that you can combine accounts from different owners by buying (or modifying) a deed in both names. I could see where it would add user B to user A's account, and vice versa, but not "combine" them. Has anyone actually done this?

VetteSteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Ron above has given you some very good advice. I am sure you will be a little unhappy going from Gold to Silver VIP status. But to help out your friends and get a kick up to GOLD - would be a WIN-WIN for both of you.

Should cost you 2 sets of transfer and closing fees - I would be CERTAIN to encourage your good friends to go on a vacation or two yearly and keep copies of those printed out reservations - shows they are active partners/owners on the account.

First of all thank you to everyone for sharing their wealth of knowledge.

This morning I spoke to Wyndham owner care and asked how long before my gold VIP expires. The lady said it won't expire as long as I keep all my contracts. Talk about receiving conflicting statements. So if I can believe what owner care told me I will retain Gold VIP. The last purchase of 233 K in in the process of being transferred to us, so have to wait & see what happens when that is posted and puts us over a million points.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all thank you to everyone for sharing their wealth of knowledge.

This morning I spoke to Wyndham owner care and asked how long before my gold VIP expires. The lady said it won't expire as long as I keep all my contracts. Talk about receiving conflicting statements. So if I can believe what owner care told me I will retain Gold VIP. The last purchase of 233 K in in the process of being transferred to us, so have to wait & see what happens when that is posted and puts us over a million points.

It won't do anything in terms of your status if it was resale.

lcml11

Reaction score
I also have trouble believing this approach would work. I am aware that you can add a new user on to your account by adding them on to one of your deeds (or getting a small cheap one and adding them during the transfer). Under this scenario, it is where the person being added doesn't already have an account. I am not sure that you can combine accounts from different owners by buying (or modifying) a deed in both names. I could see where it would add user B to user A's account, and vice versa, but not "combine" them. Has anyone actually done this?

When I researched the issue of taking over a platinum account that was not related as a relative under the rules of the member's directory, they advised that the status would be countable and retained only as long as the owner lived. When they died, Wyndham could remove the VIP status on those contracts.

In this type of case, you would want to have a attorney review the relevant program documents and contracts (since terms vary over the years and by contract) and have a will set up where you inherit the contracts in question.

If you do not use a will, talk to the attorney, a right of survivorship in the deed might do the trick.

Last edited:

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think you need to purchase an additional deed but what you may have to do is update all deeds on the account to have all 4 owners listed on them all exactly the same way and in the same order. Don't give Wyndham an excuse on how to deny it. It may take a couple thousand to do this but a hell of a lot cheaper than a 400,000 point purchase. Title services should be able to tell you if that is doable or not.

Jason

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to purchase an additional deed but what you may have to do is update all deeds on the account to have all 4 owners listed on them all exactly the same way and in the same order. Don't give Wyndham an excuse on how to deny it. It may take a couple thousand to do this but a hell of a lot cheaper than a 400,000 point purchase. Title services should be able to tell you if that is doable or not.

Jason

Problem is Wyndham my consider the redeeding as a "sale" and not count those points towards VIP status.