• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ebay Timeshare Listings

kendon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I am jumping in with both feet!:whoopie:

Whats up with the listings on Ebay? Are they a scam, or can deals be found?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are bargains on eBay. These really aren't scams, but the closings are generally painfully long.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just verify the closing company, some people have had major problems in this area. Also great places to look are Tug, redweek.com, bidshares.com, holidaygroup.com, gmac timeshare resales, timesharewholesalers.com

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

Whats up with the listings on Ebay?

While rendering no judgement about eBay, I will nonetheless caution you to verify each and every detail and claim contained within any eBay listing in which you are interested. There are eBay sellers who sell lots and lots of timeshares and routinely "cut and paste" parts of their many ads into one another. Sloppy editing and inattention to detail sometimes can (...and frequently does) then result in factual errors within the ad. It doesn't necessarily mean that the error is intentional or of fraudulent intent, and any posted inaccuracy surely gives you a solid basis on which to "back out" later. In the final analysis, however, "wrong is still wrong". If you think you're bidding on a fixed week 7 (President's week) only to later find that it's a floating week, with blackouts from weeks 5-15, chances are you'll be, to say the very least ---disappointed. :rolleyes:

Verify, verify, verify.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
always always do your research first!

a Timeshare selling for a dollar might not always be a good deal...

conversely...one selling for 10k might be s steal!

these questions are never black and white =)

Bill4728

Reaction score
always always do your research first!

a Timeshare selling for a dollar might not always be a good deal...

conversely...one selling for 10k might be s steal!

these questions are never black and white =)

This couldn't be more true.

Some $1 timeshares are a steal but some even at $1 are not a good deal.

Some $10,000 timeshares are a steal but some are not a good deal at $1.

Many TS posted on ebay are posted at starting bids which are thousands lower than the final bids will be. Some are just weeks which aren't very good and the sellers want to get rid of it at any price.

You must first do your homework before bidding.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the best things you can do is to review the "rules" of buying timeshares here on TUG, then identify where you want to buy and simply watch what is availalbe on e-bay.

When you find a property you are interested, come back on tug and read the reviews section to get a member take on the resort. Membership is $15 and the best investment you ever made for the price of a pizza.

IF and when you decide to bid on a auction, as was already stated verify everything you can about the auction. Look at the seller's rep and the rep of the closing company. You'll be dealing with the closing company mostly once you win the bid so it's important to know the rep and what to expect. Also, remember that it can take awhile to get a timeshare purchase closed. It can take several months, and often does. Expect that, and then you can be plesantly surprised if/when it goes faster.

Also know inventory continuously comes up. If you can be patient, you can often get bargins by sitting on your hands and not bidding more than you want to spend. 3 of my 4 t/s's were acquired through ebay.

My personal rule is to buy places you can drive to so you're not locked into air fares and airlines, but that's just me. I havn't figured out how to drive to Maui yet. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This couldn't be more true.

Some $1 timeshares are a steal but some even at $1 are not a good deal.

Some $10,000 timeshares are a steal but some are not a good deal at $1.

Many TS posted on ebay are posted at starting bids which are thousands lower than the final bids will be. Some are just weeks which aren't very good and the sellers want to get rid of it at any price.

You must first do your homework before bidding.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you think is a bargain, others might think of as a terrible purchase.

We bought one week for $2.00 on eBay and to us, it was a steal. But not one person here would agree that we got a bargain. It was an identical (fixed rotating fall Colorado) week to one that we have owned for many years, just in a different unit #.

It trades okay and has low maintenance fees, but the beauty of it is that it is close to home and we are very familiar with the resort. Summer weeks at this particular resort are awesome traders with II. :)

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Deals on EBAY

I have bought maybe 8 Timeshares on EBay. The firsts one just happened. I wanted a Cottage in the Catskills but couldn't afford it so I bought a Timeshare for $250. I loved it so I Joined TUG and started Studying timeshares.

What worked for me was buy within driving distance of home and buy week 26 through week 32 or something that floated in that time frame. You have to find out what your formula is. The trick is to buy only what you will want to use.

I bought a couple of cheap weeks my husband didn't didn't like but I gave them away useing TUG's free adds.

If you pick your resort and your week carefully you can get great deals on EBay. Start following the Timeshares for sale on EBay.Don't bid, just research the resorts you like and see what the weeks you want go for. Get in your car and visit some timeshares near you. Read TUG reviews.

After about 6 months of this try to buy a not terribly expensive timeshare on EBay.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jumping in with both feet !!!

E-bay timeshares (listings/purchases) SUCK !!!! WHY would anybody want to pay "minimal" $$$ and get GREAT timeshares??? Lake Tahoe, which, IF, you give to the "right" exchange company, will get you Hawaii--OR--use it/them??? Southern California Coast, during the summertime? Oregon coastal timeshares? Hawaii timeshares??? What else ???

I guess that I "just don't understand" !!!!!

Shark Gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my Dillon Colorado Timeshare week 11 (spring break) off of ebay. I got it for a steal. I have owned it 5 years and love it and plan to keep it in the family long-term. The maintenance fees cost me about $360 a year for a 2 bedroom condo. You can't stay anywhere for that during spring break ski country. It has allowed us to afford to go every year.

My ebay advice is:
1. Check the sellers ratings.
2. Make sure you can use what you buy and when you buy it every year
3. If you can't use it every year, then buy in a popular place and when school is out for better odds of renting it when you don't use it.
4. Only bid the very last minute of the sale and use the maximum bid limits according to your comfort zone of the maximum price you are willing to pay.

Good luck,
Shark Gal

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most compreshensive Listings

Ebay has got to have some of the most comprehensive listings, although with issues. What other sites would you say have the highest no of listings - just sheer numbers?

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many great deals on ebay when done with proper due diligence. Know exactly what you're buying, why you're buying it, and what the real value is. Be patient and don't overbid.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ebay has got to have some of the most comprehensive listings, although with issues. What other sites would you say have the highest no of listings - just sheer numbers?

Probably www.redweek.com

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bet....

MyRersortNetwork.com certainly has a huge number of listings, although many with truly hallucinatory pricing. There are pages and pages of listings within the one "Mouse" area town of Kissimmee, FL alone.....

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had purchased one of our timeshares on Ebay at a great price, and also have had many family members and friends purchase too. So far, no bad experiences and ALL of the closings were completed in 30 days like clockwork.

I agree, though, do your homework first, and make sure that you check the sellers ratings! You really can find some great deals on there, both for renting and for purchasing.

Good luck!
Rhonda

colovaca

Reaction score
HOA inventory

I have only bought one timeshare in my life, and I relied on the wisdom of the many posters here. Posters had discussed their TS Boards efforts to keep 100% of units performing by foreclosing and reselling. I bought from an individual, but through the agents who handle the HOA inventory. The asking price was right on for a holiday week, and negotiations were traditional direct (well - through the agent). The closing process was professional, prompt and very moderately priced. I think it might have been $250 for everything.

Buying from HOA seems competetive with e-bay, especially considering the more reasonable closing costs.