• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Noobie...Westin Mission Hills & misc. questions

TUG Talker

Reaction score
First, I've been doing some reading of the various, excellent FAQs and resources, as well as posts, and am very happy to have found this forum.

We just purchased and then cancelled a 2 bedroom lockout at the Maui Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North. Bought it Wednesday (I lost control of my wife in the sales presentation :( ) but sent in the rescission form today to cancel the sale under the 7 day limit. :) The information on this site was of great use in persuading her that cancelling was the right thing to do, so thanks in advance for that! :)

We were talking about what we would really like in a timeshare...how much we'd like to spend and where we would want to go repeatedly, and agreed that we really aren't interested in Hawaii. We like it there, but not enough to go every year, or even every other year. We live in San Diego, so we have plenty of good weather and beaches already....

We came up with the Westin Mission Hills Resort in Rancho Mirage, CA (near Palm Springs) as one potential. We go to the nearby Pacific Life Open (major professional tennis tournament) in Indian Wells each year, which is only a 15 minute drive away, and the Mission Hills resort info mentions tennis courts and a "tennis program" so that might be a good fit.

We'd spend five to seven days at Mission Hills to see the tournament, play some tennis, and do some relaxing, and then try to trade to some other sites for the other days. We live only a couple hours away from the resort, so it's easy access, which we like.

My "noobie" questions are:

- From what I've read, if we buy resale, then we lose the ability to convert our resort Star Options points to hotel star points for hotel stays. We could still use the Starwood program to try to trade for other Starwood resorts, could rent our unit, or also use II, etc. have I got that right?

- How can I find out what the annual MF (see, I'm learning the acronyms!) is for the Mission Hills resort? It appears to be approx. $1,200, but was looking for a way to confirm that.

- Anyone know anything about the courts/program at Mission Hills? I found some information on it, and it sounds pretty good, but was wondering if anyone here had experienced it...

- What's a good way to find out what other timeshares are available in the same area that might fit our needs?

- We like the 2 BR lockout option, and would likely split the rooms - use 1/2 of our "villa" for the tournament, and try to trade the other half for a stay in another resort each year. How likely are we going to be to be able to get into another location on an annual basis?

Any comments on our thought process and key things to beware, avoid, or focus on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

TUG Talker

Reaction score
OK...think I've answered one of my questions..went back to one of the resources here (remembered reading about mandatory and voluntary memberships) and found this below...I assume that means that if I buy Westin Mission Hills resale, that I would not be able to trade w/in the Westin program, but would have to use II, or private-party trade/exchange, or some other third-party exchange. Is that right?

SVN membership voluntary for developer buyers; not available to resale buyers

Vistana Resort
Broadway Plantation
Desert Oasis
Lakeside Terrace
PGA Vacation Resort
Mountain Vista
Westin Mission Hills

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
- From what I've read, if we buy resale, then we lose the ability to convert our resort Star Options points to hotel star points for hotel stays. We could still use the Starwood program to try to trade for other Starwood resorts, could rent our unit, or also use II, etc. have I got that right?

Mission Hills is a voluntary resort. You would have to requalify the unit to use Staroptions.

- How can I find out what the annual MF (see, I'm learning the acronyms!) is for the Mission Hills resort? It appears to be approx. $1,200, but was looking for a way to confirm that.

That is about right.

- Anyone know anything about the courts/program at Mission Hills? I found some information on it, and it sounds pretty good, but was wondering if anyone here had experienced it...

Can't help here.

- What's a good way to find out what other timeshares are available in the same area that might fit our needs?

There are several nice resort in that area. You can do a search on this site of the resorts in that area. There will be a new Westin to be built there that will be going on sale soon.

- We like the 2 BR lockout option, and would likely split the rooms - use 1/2 of our "villa" for the tournament, and try to trade the other half for a stay in another resort each year. How likely are we going to be to be able to get into another location on an annual basis?

This all depends on when and where you want to travel. A platinum unit at Mission Hills should trade fairly well in II. The problem is using Starwoods II account.

Any comments on our thought process and key things to beware, avoid, or focus on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Read as much as you can here on Tug. Read the stickys at the top of this forum and ask all the questions you can think of before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
The Westin resorts are really nice. But very expensive with some of the highest Maintanence fees. They also are very punitive to resale buyers.

Have you looked at any of the Marriotts? They have 3 in Palm Springs. All of which have lock-outs ( 2 bed that split into 1 bed and a studio) They have far more locations, their fees are lower (although not by much) with taxes I believe all 3 of the PS resorts are still under $1000/YR. The only option you lose as a resale buyer is the option to trade for Marriott reward points instead of using your unit. Which most will tell you is not a good deal.

I would highly recommend Marriott as an alternative to Westin. And you should buy resale and save thousands.

Good luck Pam

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
the starwood 2 br l/o,has 2 br not a studio. each has separate master br.the resort is lovely, we were there the day it opened. we were the first family to sleep in the beds.

TUG Talker

Reaction score
the starwood 2 br l/o,has 2 br not a studio. each has separate master br.the resort is lovely, we were there the day it opened. we were the first family to sleep in the beds.

Thanks...that is something we were wondering about, it appeared from the floor plan that the "small" part of the lockout wasn't a studio as in Hawaii, but actually had a separate bedroom as well.

TUG Talker

Reaction score
The Westin resorts are really nice. But very expensive with some of the highest Maintanence fees. They also are very punitive to resale buyers.

Have you looked at any of the Marriotts? They have 3 in Palm Springs. All of which have lock-outs ( 2 bed that split into 1 bed and a studio) They have far more locations, their fees are lower (although not by much) with taxes I believe all 3 of the PS resorts are still under $1000/YR. The only option you lose as a resale buyer is the option to trade for Marriott reward points instead of using your unit. Which most will tell you is not a good deal.

I would highly recommend Marriott as an alternative to Westin. And you should buy resale and save thousands.

Good luck Pam

Thanks. We did stay at a Marriot villa resort unit last year (Shadow Ridge, I think) that had a similar lock-out setup, but we were a bit underswhelmed in terms of the overall quality of the unit, and the amount of noise we heard from the adjoining unit. Also seemed smaller than the Westin units...they do, as you note, have a lot of locations.

TUG Talker

Reaction score
There are several nice resort in that area. You can do a search on this site of the resorts in that area. There will be a new Westin to be built there that will be going on sale soon.

Can you point me to how I would do such a search? Do you mean something more sophisticated than simply searching for "Palm Springs" or similar using the BBS forum search tool?

This all depends on when and where you want to travel. A platinum unit at Mission Hills should trade fairly well in II. The problem is using Starwoods II account.

I'm still reading up on Starwood limitations in using II...is there a good summary here of the issues? I've read a number of posts that mention issues but haven't seen one that clarifies it for someone like me, who isn't already familiar w/using II.

Read as much as you can here on Tug. Read the stickys at the top of this forum and ask all the questions you can think of before buying.

Yup... :) Will continue to do so, and won't do any buying w/out a lot more reading/thinking.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I agree with the suggestion to also consider the Marriotts in Palm Desert. I've been to all three of them (Shadow Ridge, Desert Springs, Desert Springs II), as well as the Westin Mission Hills. They are all nice properties. Since you live relatively close, you could just make a field trip out there and take a look. Personally, I'd feel better buying something I'd seen first hand. Plus it gives you an excuse for a weekend getaway! Since the Marriott Shadow Ridge development is in active sales, you might able to get a preview offer to visit there. If no one here knows how to go about that, you might ask on the Marriott board. There have been many threads comparing the three Marriotts in Palm Desert, so you may want to do a search.

I agree that the Westin Mission Hills units are nicer because the lockoff is a true one bedroom, rather than a studio. It also means that both halves trade as 1 bedrooms in Interval. Whether that's something that's worth the higher maintenance fees would be a matter of personal opinion.

Glorian

Bill4728

Reaction score
The Westin are a very nice TS company and their TS are Top Notch!! But that said if you want a single resort and not to be treated like a leper because you bought resale. IMHO, I'd buy one of the three great Marriott resorts in Palm Desert.

If you just want into the Starwood system and would be happy with a TS in Scottsdale, Buy Westin Kierland which is a mandatory resort and will give you Staroption even though you purchased resale. You could use them to stay in PS but may have trouble with super high demand winter weeks.

Good Luck

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you point me to how I would do such a search? Do you mean something more sophisticated than simply searching for "Palm Springs" or similar using the BBS forum search tool?

You will have access to the "TUG Resort Database" of reviews if you join TUG.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My Opinion...

If you buy resale Westin Kierland Villas (WKV) in Scottsdale - a SVN Mandatory resort - you get StarOptions that can be used to stay at WMH, Maui, Kauai, or the other SVN resorts (as long as you buy a villa that has enough SOs associated with it = 81K+) - and there is no punitive nature to it - as everyone seems to be expounding nowadays. The only thing you lose out on is being able to convert SOs to StarPoints - not a good deal anyway.

It is more costly than buying WMH resale - but the overall value of WKV outweighs this cost (home resort value, SVN usage, and resale value) - again, my opinion (and what i would do if I could go back and do it again...)

In the stays that I have had a Westin resorts (WKORV, WKV, WSJ) the construction is great (no noise from neighbors - a pet peeve of mine) - the resorts are fabulous, and very well maintained - and definitely the upper-end of TSs. If we had more vacation time - I would buy an additional week at WKV just for SVN exchanging purposes.

You can find a 2Bd LO - Gold season - at WKV (81K SOs) for ~$8K (with some patience) that has MFs/taxes around $1100. The same unit (same MFs) in Platinum season (148.1K SOs) for ~$22K. Both sides of these LOs are fully contained. A 1Bd premium (large) villa at WKV (Platinum - 81K SOs - MFs of ~$620) runs around $13K (if you can find one).
Good Luck.

TUG Talker

Reaction score
My Opinion...

If you buy resale Westin Kierland Villas (WKV) in Scottsdale - a SVN Mandatory resort - you get StarOptions that can be used to stay at WMH, Maui, Kauai, or the other SVN resorts (as long as you buy a villa that has enough SOs associated with it = 81K+) - and there is no punitive nature to it - as everyone seems to be expounding nowadays. The only thing you lose out on is being able to convert SOs to StarPoints - not a good deal anyway.

It is more costly than buying WMH resale - but the overall value of WKV outweighs this cost (home resort value, SVN usage, and resale value) - again, my opinion (and what i would do if I could go back and do it again...)

In the stays that I have had a Westin resorts (WKORV, WKV, WSJ) the construction is great (no noise from neighbors - a pet peeve of mine) - the resorts are fabulous, and very well maintained - and definitely the upper-end of TSs. If we had more vacation time - I would buy an additional week at WKV just for SVN exchanging purposes.

You can find a 2Bd LO - Gold season - at WKV (81K SOs) for ~$8K (with some patience) that has MFs/taxes around $1100. The same unit (same MFs) in Platinum season (148.1K SOs) for ~$22K. Both sides of these LOs are fully contained. A 1Bd premium (large) villa at WKV (Platinum - 81K SOs - MFs of ~$620) runs around $13K (if you can find one).
Good Luck.

Thanks for all the details and suggestions...my wife and I sure have a lot of reading, researching, and thinking to do!

We would likely rarely go to Scottsdale, so the WKV would be a purchase to trade only, which I thought wasn't considered the best way to go...but I guess if I want to have "internal" villa trading it is a reasonable option.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for all the details and suggestions...my wife and I sure have a lot of reading, researching, and thinking to do!

We would likely rarely go to Scottsdale, so the WKV would be a purchase to trade only, which I thought wasn't considered the best way to go...but I guess if I want to have "internal" villa trading it is a reasonable option.

I just read this in your OP. You are in a quandry - at least you did the right thing and rescinded your WKORV-N - especially since you don't want that as your Home Resort. I suggested WKV because you considered buying WKORV-N - and there are advantages to being SVN Mandatory.

The problem with WMH is that it is Voluntary (along with all the other new resorts being built). If you are okay with this - meaning, mostly going to WMH every year - and occasionally using II - then this may be a good plan for you to buy resale (or looking outside of SVO).

If you do buy WMH resale - and in the future decide to buy from SVO - you could consider requalifying it - but do not depend on this.

SVO is also building Desert Willow - the downside is that it is Voluntary - so the resale value will be very low (most certainly).

If you decide on SVO - it does sound as if WMH resale may be for you.
Best.

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the best bang for the $$$ with Starwood is Kierland (WKV). Its a resort that if you "had" to use your time there you wouldn't be disappointed, it rents well (we rented out the smaller 1bdrm last Spring Training for $1300), it trades in SVN, and last it will pull fantastic trades with II (but that would be a last resort).

Is it worth the price difference compared to say Mission Hills? It is if you consider the resale value down the road as part of the equation.

Steve

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy WMH RESALE Platinum and then requalify with a purchase of VV - Key West Deveoper EOY 2BR L/O. You will be much better off and get lots of incentives!

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy WMH RESALE Platinum and then requalify with a purchase of VV - Key West Deveoper EOY 2BR L/O. You will be much better off and get lots of incentives!
Requalify has change quite a bit. You now need EY with Ey purchase and the purchase price is at least $20K. You may be better off buying Westin Kierland unless you really want to spend another $20K for requalification.

TUG Talker

Reaction score
Just found out that our neighbors (who we thought had a Marriott time share in Palm Springs) actually bought the Westin Mission Hills. :)

So I'm going to talk to them about it...they paid 13K (bought from developer at their presentation) for an annual 2bd lock-off, so I'm assuming they must have not bought off-season, as that sounds too inexpensive for high season.

They evidently had been using their mom's Marriott TS (I think Desert Springs Villas) and didn't like the Marriott system, so they went w/the Starwood property when they decided to get their own. Funny that all the time we were talking to them about their timeshare we didn't realize they had changed from Marriott to Starwood...

Last edited:

shockdoct

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you really have to decide if you are going to want to simply use the TS at mission hills for the tennis tournament or would like some flexibility to use it elsewhere. If you think you would just like to use it EY as a short drive vacation then the resale market would work. Where if you would like to explore and go back to Maui or some of the other destinations you will not see the quality of the WMH resort via II (generally).

I think you should wait and see what the release of desert willow will do to resale market of WMH and also you may be able to buy desert willow from developer (if you really need the 12 month out reservation because you are concerned about getting that week for the tennis tournament any year you want to). Since it is preconstruction you get a "deal" (still very expensive relative to resales at WMH) and will have a ton of starPOINTS to use until DW opens.

Lots of info and things to consider..good luck!

EDIT - Another thing to consider is the expansion of broadway plantation. This will have 2 BRs and could probably be had for pretty cheap (by developer standards) to buy a low season week to requalify a WMH resale (to allow for SVN trading)

Last edited:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Requalify has change quite a bit. You now need EY with Ey purchase and the purchase price is at least $20K. You may be better off buying Westin Kierland unless you really want to spend another $20K for requalification.

where did you get the 20k information? i thought they changed to an ey for an ey. what if the unit you reaaly want to purchase( like a small 1br unit) is under 20k? that seems unreasonable to make a buyer buy something that he doesn't want.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear from some people who bought WMH resale and used it to trade with II or another trade company. What kind of results have you gotten?

I agree with all of the comments above, but for some people, the approx $10,000 difference is large. If they really love the place and want to use it, I consider it a major bargain. If owners have had decent results trading outside of SVN, it would be very useful information.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you really want to use WMH for the Tennis Masters week, I'd first call and make sure that those 2 weeks aren't "sold out." Owners are allowed to lock in specific weeks for a premium (25%?), but SVO will only allow x number of rooms to be locked in. It's conceivable that the resort is already sold out for those 2 weeks, which means that flex week owners will have to fight over the remaining inventory at the 12 month mark. In other words, if it's a really hot week, you might have trouble getting in even if you're an owner and that's your home resort. If you buy at another resort (e.g. WKV) on the assumption that you'll be able to trade into WMH, you may be very disappointed.

So my first task would be to investigate how popular those weeks are. Cincinnati is not exactly a tourist mecca, but hotel rooms are very hard to find during the week we host the Tennis Masters series. You're not only competing with out of town fans, but you're also competing with the players, their families and entourage, officials, and media folks.

Assuming you'd be able to get in that week, if 7 times out of 10 you'll use your timeshare for the Indian Wells tournament, I'd buy there. Yes, you'd lose the ability to exchange within SVN, but I think we'd all agree that that benefit is overhyped. There are less than 20 Starwood properties right now and the hot properties are very difficult to get into during popular times.

The good news is that WMH is still a Westin branded timeshare and, as such, enjoys a good repuation. Unlike mandatory owners, voluntary owners get to deposit the villa they bought, in the season they bought, into II. Given that the Indian Wells tourney is in March, you'll be buying during a Platinum week and that should have great trading power in II during the years you don't attend the tourney. Alternatively, you could book it for the Tennis Masters week and then try to rent it out (hint: put up a sign at area Tennis Clubs), using the proceeds to book elsewhere.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
LisaRex you bring up some very good points about actual use at the resort, by the owners.

And regardless of StarOptions, WMH is still a very nice resort. BY the way, didn't Starwood sell Mission Hills to Host Group (Marriott) last year?

There are currently 13 Starwood properties, with seven more in some stage of development or construction that is known.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
where did you get the 20k information? i thought they changed to an ey for an ey. what if the unit you reaaly want to purchase( like a small 1br unit) is under 20k? that seems unreasonable to make a buyer buy something that he doesn't want.

can someone verify that this info is correct?