• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Plat + July 4th. Is it a better renter?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to add a NCV to my portfolio. It appears a Plat plus July 4th week costs $2500 more than a plat week. Is the weather "sun bathing beach" nice during July 4th, where it will be worth it to pay the extra money?

I don't mind the extra $$ as long as I know the weather will be nice enough to enjoy the beach. In fact if it is, I'd prefer the fixed week to avoid the hassle of securing a summer week with a plat. If it is not really nice 8 out of 10 years, then I'd save the extra and take my chances with a Plat.

Also anyone have insight into how much better a July 4th week will rent over a summer week? That is always part of my equation, and I can't tell if that is the case from looking at the rental ads out there in cyberspace.

Regards.
Joe

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The reason it is worth the extra money for many would be the ability NOT to have to call to reserve it!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Platinum season at NCV is from mid June to New Years. Since most people want to vacation during the summer, that means that the platinum owners are alway competing with each other for those highly desired summer week. With a fixed July 4th week you don't complete.

IMHO that is worth $2000 more. But you will not make up for that with much higher rental fees.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the weather, as good, the same or better than a later July or August summer week?

Regards.
Joe

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I would say the weather is as good as other July weeks. It gets warmer in August and the hottest month is truly Sept. I have never figured out why kids get out of school during June Gloom and are in school during the heat of Sept?
Turkel

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since June in SoCal is referred to as "June gloom", early July would probably be good most years, but it could also be cloudy part of the week. Generally though, even during June gloom, the clouds burn off sometime before lunch and then roll back in for the evening. August and September are probably the warmest, clear months.

Having a fixed 4th of July week probably can't be beat for demand I would think. Still a great time to go.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too say buy the July 4 week. When we bought Newport before it was built I said 'why would someone pay more for July 4 when our whole summer is great' -- well now I know! :eek: Two times in a row I have had to rise at 6AM for six weeks straight to try to get a July/August week. I wish now we had paid the extra $$$ back then. :)

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the weather, as good, the same or better than a later July or August summer week?

Regards.
Joe

The warmest, and nicest time of year in Newport Beach/Laguna Beach is September. The weather is very nice, (sunny & warm) and, most importantly, there are fewer people after Labor Day. July and August are really, really crowded (too crowded for my taste). Also, if you plan to visit Disneyland, September mid-week is much less crowded than July or August. Enjoy!!

-TJ

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. We live in San Diego but visit Newport often. The whole coast is a ZOO for July 4th! You cannot park anywhere, eat at any restaurants, the freeways are jammed and the fireworks display areas are crowded like concerts. UGH. It's my least favorite time of the year to be at home. It is also often foggy. I would say more than 50% of the fireworks we went to see were covered by fog over the last 10 years here. It's just the strangeness of the weather here. May Gray and June Gloom often continue into mid-July. I would try to pay more and get a fixed August week instead. If you buy direct from Marriott, I believe you can do that. As for rentals, we usually rent a house on the cliffs overlooking the beach in Newport (close to NCV actually) for $2500 for a week. It's a 2200 SF home with a pool! Not sure how a TS would rent.... Probably not as well as a typical summer week in a Hawaii property.

Katherine

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
renting July 4th week

Joe,

I have a July 4th week that I rent out every year. I have had this week for 4 years and what I have found my other weeks in July and first of August always rent before my July 4th week.

I have put my July 4th week up for rent costing $200 more than my other July and Aug weeks. I had a hard time renting it at that price so I lowered the price the same as my other weeks and it finally rented.

When I bought this week I thought I would be able to rent it more than the other but in my market I have not found that to be true.

It does help having the July 4 th week to book alot of weeks together.

It is a very busy time at the resort, it is almost as bad as Maui in the summer.

Newport is one of my favorite places. We always go there Labor day week.

Take care,

Marty

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, are we talking developer or resale?

Last number I had on July 4 was 40K. Plat was 32.5K. IIRC, Xmas was 38K.

Always happy to have the latest numbers :)

If resale, and typical Plat weeks are going for 17-18.5K (ROFR in this area), then 20-21K for Plat+ is a helluva good deal IMO. Go for it :)

Pat

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, a platinum plus July 4 NCV unit just sold on ebay for $20,665. I would say that's a pretty good deal

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if it passes ROFR... don't see the Plat+ weeks very often...

I was really going to go after this, but at the end of the day after speaking with a few owners here, and others that were nice enought to contact me, I've decided to look just plat NCV.

With the other weeks I have, I'm confident I'll be able to use the 13 month rule to get a week that fits my rental/use needs. I also think late summer and fall are the best time to go, so I really shouldn't buy something I really wouldn't consider using. Besides I like to think long term as well, and 10 or so years from now, when my 8 yr old son is older, I'll prefer fall, so getting the coveted summer weeks will be a moot point. And renting at a premium doesn't seem to occur, so that was another reason. It actually looks like late Aug gets the highest rental, but that is from limited analysis and info.

Regards.
Joe

Dewnay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 52?

Any thoughts about the desirability of Week 52, the other Platinum Plus week at NCV?

Thanks,

D.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
From a rental point of view, IMO the July 4 week is probably the top week of the year at NCV. If it costs $2500 more, that's about $250 a year more you'd have to get (over 10 years) in rentals and I think you'd easily get that for that week.

I was at NCV when the temp was 105 during the day but swimming in the Pacific was like getting into an icebox compared to Florida water. So you'd get a tan there, but I'm not so sure you'd enjoy the water without a wetsuit.

I've had fixed and floating weeks in my TS history - I do not like floating weeks because of the every year hassle booking your time, etc. When I had weeks 7&8 in FL years ago (non Marriott) I never even had to call them to say I was coming...and always got the same condo which made it feel more like 'home'.

For those of us in the East a week at NCV makes a nice stopover week on the way to HI and helps with the 13 month booking period if you combine them, even if you don't have plat plus fixed weeks.

Brian

Dewnay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum Plus Passes ROFR at $20,655

It'll be interesting to see if it passes ROFR... don't see the Plat+ weeks very often...

I was also curious as to whether it passed ROFR. I contacted the seller, Thomas Ochoa (tochoa25), and he confirmed that it passed at $20,655.

davis6

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was really going to go after this, but at the end of the day after speaking with a few owners here, and others that were nice enought to contact me, I've decided to look just plat NCV.

I appreciate you not going after this one as I was the one who bought it for $20,665, It has made it past the ROFR or so they tell me.:whoopie: