• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI Maintenance Fee Protection and Platinum Level

flyguy

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had our membership "update" with DRI. The story this time is that there will be a Special Assessment coming and members should take advantage of a Plan to protect one from that and future maintenance fee increases. The cash back II credit card is part of the plan and then there is the Enhanced Travel Services (ETS) which will allow a member to deposit points with that entity for cash based on the market value of the time the points would purchase. If a week reservation at a resort was 2500 points and one deposited 7500 points with ETS, if the market value at a resort was worth $1000, ETS would send $3,000 cash (7500 divided by 2500= 3 weeks @ $1000) which one could use to pay maintenance fees. Going to Platinum level would allow one to freeze the cost per point at 14.1 cents for annual maintenance fees. Platinum would also have access to the reserved units at resorts which are held back for Platinum owners. I am curious as to any DRI platinum owners experiences and experience with ETS returning money for points deposited with them. We were told that Platinum owners would get superb special customer service.

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
???

you have got to be kidding.

I promise life will be good as long as you keep sending me more money.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Which collection are you part of? One of the features they pitch for buying points is that when there is a special assessment at one resort, it's spread out over all the resorts in the collection. All the members in the Hawaii Collection had to pay part of the Point at Poipu SA, but only a fraction of what P@P owners had to pay. If you're in the US Collection, there are so many resorts, that a SA at any one resort shouldn't have much effect on the annual fees.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wonder what resort they think you can reserve for 2500 points that would have a market value of $1000 and would have enough availability for all the platinum members. :hysterical:

I am sure after their fuzzy math you would still have to pay some kind of annual fee for the service on top of MF's and then maybe you would be able to deposit $100-500 for your 7500 points

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what resort they think you can reserve for 2500 points that would have a market value of $1000 and would have enough availability for all the platinum members. :hysterical:

I am sure after their fuzzy math you would still have to pay some kind of annual fee for the service on top of MF's and then maybe you would be able to deposit $100-500 for your 7500 points
n example how

This is an example..how much money are they making on, just on new membership into their point Club?

Last edited:

flyguy

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which collection are you part of? One of the features they pitch for buying points is that when there is a special assessment at one resort, it's spread out over all the resorts in the collection. All the members in the Hawaii Collection had to pay part of the Point at Poipu SA, but only a fraction of what P@P owners had to pay. If you're in the US Collection, there are so many resorts, that a SA at any one resort shouldn't have much effect on the annual fees.

I am part of the US collection. Implication is that SA would be in 2015.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like more salesman spinning tales - in the US collection with all the resorts there will almost always be a special assessment every year but the impact will be minimal. So that is really probably a safe guess rather than real knowledge.

They used to pitch there were "no" special assessments with points ownerships - now it is with platinum memberships.

I am sure perpetually freezing maintenance fees for platinum memberships would never be put in writing.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes - I am sure the "market value" would be a very creative number.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Ah yes, the old special assessment scare tactic at a sales presentation. They like to use F.E.A.R. (False evidence appearing real) to sell product. I heard this story FIVE years ago. I told them I'd take my chances. So far so good.

I've seen 2 SA's at our resort. One was I significant for around $100. The other a little more major at ~ $1,100. A well run HOA should never need a SA. I just pose the question as to why I would want to buy more if the HOA's are run so poorly that I have to worry about a significant SA.

The situation with the huge SA at Poipu is a little different and unique. I wouldn't use that as any gauge for future SA's at other resorts.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have anyone read the new newsletter from DRI ?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the page called: "Diamond Loyalty Benefits" page.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug, I feel the same way; why pay more for the gold status & mf's

edboyd59

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the most part, it appears the being Silver Elite means very little. That's all right by me. I don't feel the urge to spend a few thousand more to elevate ourselves to Gold elite and the pay several hundred more in MF's + the trust management fee.

A few thousand and several hundred more?!?! :hysterical:
To move from Silver to Gold is a doubling of the base line number of points to reach the threshold; 30,000 versus 15,000 points. The "List" price of 15,000 points is now around $120,000 based on a per point cost of about $7.90. Buying those won't cost anywhere near that because they'll make you a very special offer that's much lower than that, so maybe they'll ask for $50K or a little less. The Maintenance fees for the increased points will go up more than $2,000 because you're only paying the maintenance fees and not the club fee that was already in the fees that you're paying.

There are a ton of benefits that you receive at the gold level over the silver but someone would certainly have to weigh the cost out before making that jump.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
A few thousand and several hundred more?!?! :hysterical:
To move from Silver to Gold is a doubling of the base line number of points to reach the threshold; 30,000 versus 15,000 points. The "List" price of 15,000 points is now around $120,000 based on a per point cost of about $7.90. Buying those won't cost anywhere near that because they'll make you a very special offer that's much lower than that, so maybe they'll ask for $50K or a little less. The Maintenance fees for the increased points will go up more than $2,000 because you're only paying the maintenance fees and not the club fee that was already in the fees that you're paying.

There are a ton of benefits that you receive at the gold level over the silver but someone would certainly have to weigh the cost out before making that jump.

I guess I should have added that we have 26,500 THE Club points at the moment, so it's not as big of a jump as it would be going from the minimum of 15,000 point to 30,000 points.

We've actually considered going to Gold but, there are a couple of things that have kept us from doing it.

1. The cost of the points, having to buy trust points which includes paying trust management fee's we don't currently pay.

2. We have difficulty using the points we currently own.

3. DRI keeps changing the rules to improve Platinum owners experience while degrading the lower levels. I suppose this makes reaching the higher levels more attractive to the masses but it does the opposite for me.

4. Those extra benefits aren't worth the additional cost in MF's and trust management fee's, let alone the buy in cost.