• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this a good deal for the GW @ HHV?

flogator

Reaction score
I was offered the following:
7200 platinum/annual 1BR @ GW + 33,000 bonus HGVC points for 2 years + 20,000 HH bonus points (I already banked another 20k bonus points for attending the sales pres)+ $100 Hilton dollors + 3 days VIP Package for $38000. (list price was $43000 they gave me $5000 discount for staying @ HHV).

I am confused after reading this board. I kno retail and GW is more expensive, but i wanted to hear from experienced HGVC members.

Thanks

jestme

Reaction score
I was offered the following:
7200 platinum/annual 1BR @ GW + 33,000 bonus HGVC points for 2 years + 20,000 HH bonus points (I already banked another 20k bonus points for attending the sales pres)+ $100 Hilton dollors + 3 days VIP Package for $38000. (list price was $43000 they gave me $5000 discount for staying @ HHV).

I am confused after reading this board. I kno retail and GW is more expensive, but i wanted to hear from experienced HGVC members.

Thanks

Not a good deal. If you are still there, have them show you the 1BR, (not a 1BR+ or premier). You want to see the exact kind you would be buying, and certainly not the 2BR premium they show you in the sales presentation. IMHO $38K for a street view of Honolulu is way too much. Then check out resale prices.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Holy Cow that's a lot of money for a 1 bedroom unit that looks at the the street and not the ocean. There's not way I'd be paying that much money for that particular view in that size of a unit.

I believe I'd have to recsind that deal and start looking for resale units. Trading into Hawaii isn't always that easy but, if you're not particular about your view, and judging from what you've signed your not, it's not that difficult either. At that price, it'd better to pay half that for some other timeshare in Vegas and trade into either of HHV's older towers. Both of which are very nice and, you might even get a better view for fewer points.

For 6,800 points, this was the view we enjoyed from the Lagoon tower in the morning.

It might not have been as fancy of a unit but, we were VERY comfortable. This was a full one bedroom unit with a full kitchen. I certainly wouldn't want to pay $38,000 for the upgrades to at the Waikikian and especially if I only had a view of the city.

Owning in Hawaii might be important to you as it gives you home resort reservation privledges. You'll have a better chance of reserving your unit if you can book 12 monhts in advance rather than picking from the left overs at 9 months like we have to do. After having stayed at HHV, I almost wish we had purchased our contract there rather than in Vegas. However, when I spoke with the salesman at the 10 minute interview booth in the Rainbow Baazar, the difference in price was, IMO, starggering. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much additional just to switch my home resort from Vegas (a resort we really enjoy when we're there) to Hawaii.

Still, if you're patient you should be able to find a 1 bedroom or even a 2 bedroom unit in Hawaii for much less than $38,000. At least I feel strongly enough about it that I'd be searching that way before knuckling under and pay that much to Hilton to buy that unit retail.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Welcome to TUG

See these responses from previous threads

Good Deal or Not - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91083
Pricing for 7,500 points at HGVC Kings Land - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74628
Just purchased at Valdoro Lodge--SANITY CHECK, PLEASE!!! - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89564
Should I buy from Hilton Direct? - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84764
TUG's to the rescue again - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80825
Need Help Urgently - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77366
New Purchase: Good Deal - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76953

flogator

Reaction score
TUG's to the rescue again

Thanks for all the comments. I had came up thinhking I got a good deal only until I found TUG board. Reading the posts during the last 2 days and loking at the resale prices have changed my perceptions. I faxed my rescind letter to HGVC this morning. I have already won an Ebay auction for 5000 Seaworld points at a fraction of retail (20%). Thank you all for your replies and previous posts that have helped me to get out of a bad deal. Now, I guess I have to worry about ROFR issues.
:wave:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I faxed my rescind letter to HGVC this morning... =/QUOTE]

Please reread your materials to make sure that faxing sufficient. There sould be
explicit instructions. You may have to send a letter thru the U.S Postal Service.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thanks for all the comments. I had came up thinhking I got a good deal only until I found TUG board. Reading the posts during the last 2 days and loking at the resale prices have changed my perceptions. I faxed my rescind letter to HGVC this morning. I have already won an Ebay auction for 5000 Seaworld points at a fraction of retail (20%). Thank you all for your replies and previous posts that have helped me to get out of a bad deal. Now, I guess I have to worry about ROFR issues.
:wave:

Faxes get lost or "don't come through." I would recommend sending your letter to them through the postal service with a return receipt that they received it. HGVC is generally an honest operation but, it's always best to keep honest people honest. That's best done by having proof of mailing and their reciept.

flogator

Reaction score
Yes, thanks again. I will send a certified mail on Monday. My document states that hand delivery, mail, or fax. Although I have a fax confirmation sheet as well as phone confirmation from the account manager stating that they received my fax, I will follow up with a USPS mail. I am certain that they received my cancellation note because I got aphone call from SM telling me that they will add 12k more club bonus points (45K total). I am already in contact with Seth, and hoping to get another one from him. :D

Sunshine Wanted

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good decision

It sounds like you made the right decision :) Seth is a great guy and thought very highly of on this board. He will be able to find you a good deal.

Doug - what a gorgeous picture from the lanai! Makes me want to be there right now... Instead, we just bought 3 more 50# bags of ice melt. :mad:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks again. I will send a certified mail on Monday. My document states that hand delivery, mail, or fax. Although I have a fax confirmation sheet as well as phone confirmation from the account manager stating that they received my fax, I will follow up with a USPS mail. I am certain that they received my cancellation note because I got aphone call from SM telling me that they will add 12k more club bonus points (45K total). I am already in contact with Seth, and hoping to get another one from him. :D

I think you made a very good decision and I think you will find that HGVC is a great program.