• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HHV annual platinum

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Hello,

After many years of studying timeshares, we have begun thinking seriously about HGVC.

We want to go to HHV nearly every year, in peak season. Typically October, spring break, the summer, or winter break.

Sometimes we'd go elsewhere but we are buying this for HHV.

1. What is the difference between the towers?
2. Why are some MFs higher than others, even for seemingly identical units? Or is this just an error in the for sale listings?
3. We want 2 BR/2 BA, sleep 6. Don't know if lockouts exist in this resort/system. The going rate seems to be in the $15k-$30k range depending on a few things. Is this about right?

4. We also may just continue to rent each year we go, but we can't always find what we want this way.

thank you

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
1. There are 3 towers right now at HHV. KALIA tower is only studio and 1br units. GRAND WAIKIKIAN is 1br,1br and 3br units. LAGOON tower has studio,1br,2br and 3br units. Lagoon is closest to the water but it was originally a condo that is converted to timeshare use. Kalia is the farthest from the water but has some nice city views in my opinion. Grand is the newest tower and is the most modern in amenities but also the smallest in room size. There are a lot more differences between the three. The most popular is lagoon because of location and having the lowest point requirement.

2.MF will depend on tower.

3.There are 2br and 3br lockoffs in lagoon tower but you book with points so it does not matter.

4. Most owners at HHV use their units as the mf are higher than most other hgvc properties. They did not buy there to use the pointa for las vegas or florida. Unless they have a 3br penthouse at grand waikikian then they might use that for a point generator.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. The Lagoon tower is closest to the beach and is next to Duke's lagoon and the waterslide pool (which is nice if you have young ones). It is also the oldest (but was just renovated) and the oceanfront 2BRs have great views. Kalia tower is farthest from the ocean but has HHV's spa and fitness center and is the most convenient to off-property restaurants. I've read reviews that speak of it as the 'quietest' of the towers but can't speak from personal experience (I did get a room for the grandparents there one year). The Grand Waikikian is newest and is reputed to have great views in the top floors (it is taller than the Lagoon or Kalia towers). We chose to buy into the Lagoon tower and love it - your mileage may vary.

2. Resale listings are notorious for showing 'stale' MFs. If two listings really are the same - season, view, and size - then they will have the same MFs,

3. There are indeed many 2 BR/2 BA, sleep 6 HHV timeshares out there.

One of the great things about HHV is that platinum covers most of the times you want to visit - though early October is gold, not platinum. Also, I'm assuming that by 'Winter Break' you mean President's Day week in February. Weeks 51 and 52 - Christmas/New Years - are separate.

Lastly, if you aren't sure you want to visit annually, another possibility you might consider is buying Every Other Year (EOY) weeks in HHV. We've been going to HHV every other year for a decade now (Lagoon tower 2BR oceanview) and just added another EOY 2BR oceanfront.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There is a 2016 maint fee sticky at the top. Maint fee for Lagoon 2br is $1598 for 2016.

I've bought my first HGVC there in 2001 (gold even EOY). 2008 was the only year I missed because of the Grand Waikikian construction. I went to Bay Club instead and ended up buying a Kingsland EOY unit pre-construction. I sold that one last year and bought a higher point KL every year platinum as a point generator.

We are headed to Lagoon in two weeks, I'll probably keep it until I can no longer travel even though it has such a high cost per point. Point cost is irrelevant if you use it or rent it.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks for all the feedback,

I guess I am answering my own question, but since posted sale prices are in the $15k-$30k range, can I assume that is the fair and going resale price for the units? Prices obviously vary depending on view, but oceanfront Lagoon runs toward the top of the range, city or variable views run toward the bottom. All of these are 2/2 sleep 6 in Lagoon, off Tug or Redweek.

follow up question, do some of you own HHV and then buy a set of cheaper points elsewhere, ie Vegas, to either get to HHV in non-peak season if you're lucky or travel elsewhere in Hawaii (like Kingsland)?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll answer the questions I can...I leave the rest for others to chime in...

1) There is a tugbbs sticky with other websites you could/should look at for resale listings...but I find the tug/redweek listings to be fairly representative with two caveats. First, the discount people are willing to accept off of asking for a timeshare is usually different (and more) than a 'normal' real estate transaction. Second, you can see listings for HHV at lower prices pop up on Ebay - particularly for less desirable seasons and views.

2) High demand room size/views/weeks at HHV are much easier to get during home week and as you gain flexibility in room size, view, and/or time of the year your ability to use points into HHV increases. Based on this info I chose to buy my HHV EOY week (now weeks). But all I have ever done thus far is book President's Day week on the day it came available. My only experience trying to use HGVC points at HHV was that room I rented for the grandparents a few years back. I had someone lined up to try to book a 1BR on President's week at the 9 month mark - they were able to get Kalia but not Lagoon.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am defiinitely set on buying at HHV now.

Simple question: how many points would you buy if the most critical thing is to be able to get a 2 BR/2 BA in any season (peak season) during home week? How many points do I need?

Is there a consensus about whether it is good added value to pay up for Oceanfront, or for a penthouse or 3BR? If the added points offer good value, however that is defined, we will do that, especially if we can get into Hawaii using some of the excess points in off season. We have a flexible budget.

Of the towers, we almost always stay in Lagoon and it works fine. But I've never been in the other towers. Do any have laundry machines in the rooms? We'd like that as Lagoon has them at the end of the hallway. Also there appears to be a tower on Kalia Rd - is that a timeshare building? Though I worry about the noise there as Kalia can have some traffic (though not like Ala Moana).

We go to HHV at least once a year, and also go elsewhere in Hawaii from time to time and sometimes to Vegas, so we'd have an opportunity to use excess points. or we could rent them.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have come to HHV every year for long time now (seems like this year will be 9 years in a row but it might be 10 - last 8 being resale owners). We first bought a 1 BR Platinum ocean view but as our children got older last year we sold the 1 BR and bought a 2 BR Platinum OV. We have stayed at Grand Waikikian 1 or 2 bedroom units depending upon what is available every year since we normally buy open season right before 2 or right after 2 to 4 extra days and with open season sometimes get Lagoon and sometimes get Grand Waikikian. We never wanted to nor stayed at the Kalia Tower because of distance to the beach. Distance to the beach is extremely important to us, though we really only go to the beach 6 am to 9 am and or 5 pm to dark. Very often we rent a car and go elsewhere in Oahu e.g. other beaches during the day etc. Lagoon has the relatively biggest rooms with Grand Waikikian having better furniture, better relatively more and quicker elevators and most importantly washer / dryer in the room. Open season is hard to get though we have been lucky over the years. This year we go to the Big Island for four days first and then to our home week and back to the main land. The only problem for us at Lagoon has been elevators are slow first day coming in and last day going out due to demand during peak morning out rush. For the money I would still pick Lagoon though Grand Waikikian cuts through joint lobby space into Lagoon very quickly and does have the washer / dryer, better, faster more spacious elevators, more efficient 1 bedroom layouts and better furniture (two bedrooms are so big and nice it does not matter anymore now that rooms at Lagoon are renovated, though furniture again is always nicer at Grand Waikikian. Nobody blinks an eye at Lagoon tower when I am carrying a surf board in and out while Grand Waikikian seems to have a slight bit of attitude. If I had to buy now I would consider Grand Waikikian if the price point for a 2 bed 2 bath platinum ocean view was close to Lagoon. As other posters said above if you go in Summer with your kids etc. like we do you pretty much have to buy in HHV because most owners buy at HHV to use it every year (or EOY if appropriate). Open season around your week is harder to get but doable if you call every day. My experience is that something has always opened up within the last two weeks. Big Island open season was no problem for us to get King's Land this year open season. Points are points except at HHV or some of the other high demand locations where if you plan on routinely going owning and booking of course 12 - 9 months 1 day out saves a lot of agita and for us has proven necessary to ensure we always get the vacation time we want. Best of luck.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We have come to HHV every year for long time now (seems like this year will be 9 years in a row but it might be 10 - last 8 being resale owners)...

HockeyBrain, I appreciate your report but have one small request:
Please break up lengthy posts into short paragraphs so there's some white-space every few sentences. Otherwise, my poor eyesight just gets lost.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you hockeybrain that was very helpful.

Where can I find a list of the points required to buy different units in different towers in different seasons at HHV? Ie, how many points (and MFs) for 2 BR OV or OF at Lagoon, how much for 3 BR, how much for Grand Waikikian, etc?

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw out that I just returned from a Lagoon tower stay, during the month of July, for 11 days. Six of those were oceanfront(Premier) 2 bedroom. The other 4 nights were Ocean-view(Plus) 1 bedroom. I had no problem making a reservation at the 9 month window and walking it out.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I am defiinitely set on buying at HHV now.
Simple question: how many points would you buy if the most critical thing is to be able to get a 2 BR/2 BA in any season (peak season) during home week? How many points do I need?
I don't understand this question. Points don't apply during the home week booking window

Think of HGVC as a combination of a weeks and points system.

The flexible point based system doesn't apply during the home week booking period. HGVC works like a floating week system during the Home Week window which means from 12 months to 9 months before check-in, if you want to book a stay during the home week window then you must reserve the exact unit size and type in the season that you purchased (for example studio, 1 bedroom plus, etc) for the full week based on the fixed checkin date at your home resort. There is no flexibility. NOTE: Only points earned in the use year can be used in the home week window. Borrowed, Rescued or Banked points can not be used in the home week window.

HGVC works like a point based system during the Club Reservation window generally 9 months before checkout for most resorts. There are some exceptions. During Club reservation window anyone can book any season, resort (including their home resort), unit size and/or type for any number of days (minimum of 3 nights). This means all HGVC resort owners have an equal chance at booking at any HGVC resort (except Hilton Club) during the Club Reservation window.

In summary, HGVC has three reservation windows:
(1) Home Week window (3 month period begins 12 months prior to check-in and ends 9 months prior to check-in; requires a full week in the unit type and season owned on the designation home Week check-in date)
(2) Club Reservation window (begins 9 month prior to check-out through 1 day prior to check-in; requires a three night minimum; requires a reservation fee and uses points)
(3) Open Season Rental Reservation window (cash rentals begin 30 days before check-out through 1 day prior to check-in; requires a two night minimum; available to members for their personal use only). There are some exclusions.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe I understand that but still need to know how many points are required to book, for instance, a 2 BR Premium in Lagoon in platinum season during home week. Both because I want to know how much I'm paying and what I'm paying for, and also because if I don't use those points in my home week, I want to know how many points I'll have to use in other weeks/resorts.

Online, for instance, it looks like 7000 points = 2 BR Lagoon in hgh season, etc, but I don't know how reliable that is. I want a reliable source, and I also want to be able to compare between Lagoon, Grand waikikian, Kalia, etc.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My Point Summary:
With exceptions for outliers, weekly points needed for Studio / 1BR / 2BR (basic, no upgrade):
Typically: Silver - 1100 / 2400 / 3500 <> Gold - 1600 / 3400 / 5000 <> Platinum - 2200 / 4800 / 7000
Hawaii Outliers:
-- HHV Grand Waikikian - Gold Pts. ... / 5100 / 7500 <> Plat. Pts. ... / 7200 / 10500
-- Hokulani Waikiki - Gold Pts. .../4200 / 5800 <> Plat Pts. ... / 6200 / 8400
-- Waikoloa - Kohala & Kings Land - See Specific Resort.
Hawaii Seasons... Gold Weeks = 19-22, 36-41, Platinum Weeks = 1-18, 23-35, 42-52

Does this help?

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Online, for instance, it looks like 7000 points = 2 BR Lagoon in hgh season, etc, but I don't know how reliable that is. I want a reliable source, and I also want to be able to compare between Lagoon, Grand waikikian, Kalia, etc.

There used to be a standard point chart that all resorts followed but that's no longer true with the newer resorts. We have no idea what point requirements will be in the future as new resorts are added to the Club.

Here's the link to the HGVC websites which provides point charts for most resorts
For example here's the Lagoon Tower page (scroll down and select Point Chart link) - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.c.../lagoon-tower-by-hilton-grand-vacations-club/
For example here's the Lagoon Tower page (the point chart link is in the upper right hand corner) - http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/hawaii/lagoon-tower-hgvc/

Other HGVC Documents

2017 Club Rules - https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.n...d93a810f/2017-HGV-Club-Rules-Reference-V2.pdf
2017 Club Fees - https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.n...42a4-917f-1be096986280/2017-HGV-Club-Fees.pdf

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
HGVC threads for newbies

There are lots of TUG threads regarding the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) resorts.
Just do a search on the HGVC Forum using any of the tower names "Lagoon", "Kalia", "Waikikian" or "Islander".

Here are some TUG threads regarding HHV.

Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) Timeshare towers
  1. Lagoon Tower
  2. Kalia Tower (mixed use tower with hotel & timeshare rooms)
  3. Grand Waikikian Tower
  4. The Grand Islander Tower (newest tower just opened March 2017)
HHV History - http://www.historichotelsworldwide....iian-village-waikiki-beach-resort/history.php

34845821411_aa10ae6fe5_c.jpg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For platinum season, a 2 bedroom at Lagoon breaks down like this:

Standard - 7000
Plus - 8400
Premier - 9600

Better off owning premier because the maint fees are the same for all three, but you will pay top dollar up front. You will be very lucky to find one at $1/point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you both, very helpful info and links. I'll get to reading.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more question, if I buy at Lagoon HHV, do I have home week privileges everywhere at HHV - ie, Lagoon, Kalia, GW? Or just Lagoon? And vice versa? If not, how do GW owners use their points to buy into Lagoon? It seems like Lagoon fills early so are they just getting in at the 9 month mark?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Standard - 7000
Plus - 8400
Premier - 9600

Better off owning premier because the maint fees are the same for all three, but you will pay top dollar up front. You will be very lucky to find one at $1/point.

If I found a 2 BR Premier at HHV Lagoon for $10k I'd be ecstatic!

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I found a 2 BR Premier at HHV Lagoon for $10k I'd be ecstatic!

Finding a 2BX Platinum deed in HHV Lagoon for that price is one thing. Passing ROFR at that price would be a major coup.

jestme

Reaction score
One more question, if I buy at Lagoon HHV, do I have home week privileges everywhere at HHV - ie, Lagoon, Kalia, GW? Or just Lagoon? And vice versa? If not, how do GW owners use their points to buy into Lagoon? It seems like Lagoon fills early so are they just getting in at the 9 month mark?
For home season, you get what you own, where you own, in the unit size you own, in the season you own. If you own in the Lagoon, your home resort stay will be staying in the Lagoon unless you wait until the 9 month mark (club season) and book some thing else at the HHV.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what I thought, thank you.

Honestly the 7000 point 2 BR is good enough for me. If I found a plus or premium I'd take it but they come on the market infrequently.

So I'm on the lookout for 7000-9600 EY platinum 2BR at Lagoon. Thanks folks

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If not, how do GW owners use their points to buy into Lagoon? It seems like Lagoon fills early so are they just getting in at the 9 month mark?

Yes, they book the first three days online at midnite EST exactly 276 days from checkout, then add days every night until they have what they want.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Standard - 7000
Plus - 8400
Premier - 9600

If you do find an owner willing to sell plus or premier for $1 a point hgvc would be very happy. Because the unit will be taken via rofr and you the buyer would have just done the work for hgvc. You negotiated a great unit at a very nice price for them.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk