• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why go to HGVC on the big island at all?

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Having just returned from Oahu the Big Island sounds great. Traffic on Oahu is becoming a big discouragement to visiting it.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We LOVE the Big Island and strongly recommend visiting. The stretch from Kailua-Kona down to Captain Cook offers some amazing diving, beaches, coffee and chocolate plantations, and the Big Island's best (and most affordable) dining. Hilo-side is beautiful with waterfalls, orchids, and old-town Hilo itself. And Volcano is a two day destination all by itself with incredible landscapes and the magic of lava flowing on a dark night.

The problem with HGVC is that it is in Waikoloa which is too far from any of that and is really only good for the beach, golf, Waimea/Parker Ranch (if you are into horseback riding), and the charming Hawi. So much as I would like to be able to stay HGVC we usually get two nights in Hilo, a night in Volcano, and the rest of the week somewhere along the southern Kona coast. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We LOVE the Big Island and strongly recommend visiting. The stretch from Kailua-Kona down to Captain Cook offers some amazing diving...

I can remember snorkeling at Captain Cook and being able to see scuba divers way down below.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
We stayed at Kingsland and it is a beautiful room, though kind of deserted and isolated. Going over to the hotel pools is more fun. We like the BI but the main natural attractions are not close to Kailua-Kona, they are over on Hilo side. So that's a drawback.

In contrast, HHV is in the thick of things and Oahu is smaller than the BI so it's easy to get even to the north shore for the day.

We prefer Oahu by far. Of course my family is from there so that's another reason we go.