• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] National Timeshare Owners Association

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Their website says they are, "... the premier organization giving a united voice to the nearly 8 million timeshare owners in the United States and Canada ..." and allows you to join for an $89 fee.

But the website doesn't give any details about what they've actually done or are actively doing. And, the Bill of Rights that they propose is somewhat ridiculous based on current regulations pertaining to timeshares. (Meaning, the developers/managers will never agree to performing in accordance with some of the terms because they're not required and it wouldn't be advantageous for them.) If NTOA is working actively to effect new regulations that's one thing, but I don't see anything that says they are?

If all you're looking for is a website that makes vague statements about buying, selling, renting and using timeshares, and that houses links to a whole bunch of related websites, it'll do. But IMO, all of that info can be found here on TUG in much greater detail provided by first-person accounts.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just looking at their site, on their "Timeshare Resale information" page....they not only suggest 1, but 2 upfront fee companies.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
At $89 per membership, it sounds like a great money maker to me! :D

trainer2458

Reaction score
I have been a member of NTOA for years and I also received a subscription to Timesharing Today with my membership. I was an advocate for them for years but things have changed. It appears that they have been bought out by the timeshare industry and are now pro developer. I no longer endorse this organization and I will not renew my membership when it runs out. Timesharing Today has changed their tune completely and I don't believe they represent the owners anymore.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I thought Tug was the International Timeshare Group? Lot less money to belong here and good advice!

Reaction score
NTOA

I'm surprised that more people aren't responding to this post, especially members! I had the privilege of helping many NTOA members over the years.

I can honestly say, this is not the same organization as it was. Its clear, it has been taken over by the "Timeshare Industry Giants".

Enough Said

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
National Timeshare Owners Association

I'm surprised that more people aren't responding to this post, especially members! I had the privilege of helping many NTOA members over the years.

I can honestly say, this is not the same organization as it was. Its clear, it has been taken over by the "Timeshare Industry Giants".

Enough Said

I have been a timesshare owner for at least 10 years longer than NTOA has even been in existence.

Frankly, I have never understood (or ever managed to wrap my head around) the actual mission or real objectives of NTOA, or even the reason(s) for their creation or existence at all in the first place. I very clearly remember making some pointed inquiries and asking questions of substance (since there was a $79 membership fee involved at the time, apparently higher now). I thought that NTOA might somehow be an additional source and avenue for information and knowledge that might possibly be of some use or value in my BoD / HOA duties responsibilities. I ultimately gave up on any and all further efforts when it consistently felt like trying nail Jello to a wall.
Personally, I have no patience (or any use at all, actually) for vague, fuzzy and entirely unclear, undefined motives and / or hidden agendas and sub-agendas. :shrug:

Last edited:
Reaction score
NTOA

It was a very small group, in its hay day, maybe 300 members. This is very accurate info..lol. Supposedly, an advocate for timeshare owners.. Truth is, the timeshare owners were referred to me and I would sell some units, rent some units and occasionally get a developer to take a deed back into inventory to help the timeshare owners.

Reaction score
NTOA

The one thing you hear all the time now is" I want to be part of the solution".

Are you part of the solution when you take an " Upfront Fee" on a timeshare that was just purchased in the last year? One that has a loan balance of 20k or more?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
National Timeshare Owners Association --- Who? Why? What is their REAL agenda?

Let's stir this forum up!

Good luck with that, if the flaccid spoon of NTOA and / or its' murky (...and highly questionable, IMHO) agenda is what you plan to use for any such "stirring up".

To informed timeshare owners of non-commercial intent (no profit motive) with a few decades of first hand experience with timeshares, NTOA was completely irrelevant before what has been described above as a "takeover of NTOA by industry giants" and NTOA would seem (...to me, anyhow) to remain equally irrelevant now, today.
If you have any reason(s) of substance to believe or to articulate otherwise, I for one would certainly welcome the opportunity to see any such supporting input. :shrug:

P.S. One of the features I personally like best about TUG is that while there are certainly many different viewpoints (some well informed, some less so, but all valid) with some views diametrically opposite one another, it seems that there are very few "hidden agendas" here (at least IMnsHO). I like that. The whole NTOA gig has frankly always seemed (...to me, anyhow) to be one of hidden agenda(s), although I was admittedly never able to get a handle on just what those hidden agendas might be, previously or now. It's always difficult to see through thick smoke, but the word "irrelevant" seems to be appropriate and accurate for NTOA, previously and now.

Last edited:

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
NTOG was started by a timeshare owner who sold timeshares to the members. From my experience with him, he knew very little about the timeshare programs and was less then objective. When Timesharing Today made demands of local Timeshare owners groups to consolidate and join this "national" group, i lost respect for the principals of Timesharing Today as well. Not the first time in our capitalist society, a business grew out of less then noble intentions.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hastry

In April 2008

Ed Hastry and his wife Mary Lou of Baltimore County changed the name of the Maryland Timeshare Owners Association that they founded more than a decade before to the National Timeshare Owners Association.

Recently

Ed and Mary Lou Hastry
handed over the leadership to Greg Crist as Chairman & CEO
as well as Wes Sattenfield accepting the Vice President position.

The National Timeshare Owners Association (NTOA) has appointed BuyaTimeshare .com (an upfront fee internet advertising & marketing company)
CEO Wesley Kogelman to its Advisory Board.

Last edited by a moderator: