• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oh dear, scaling down on timesharing

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So after picking up WAY too many weeks including some pricey purchase, to start off with... we decided to buy a second home outside of CA, with the intention of ultimately retiring there. We still have a business to run so it will be a lot of commuting back and forth for the next few years. In the meantime, we decided that outside of the current obligations to travel, i.e., committed travel plans with friends, we do not want to go anywhere else. We have a problem... what do we do with several weeks of Marriott, Starwood and Worldmark points?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
So after picking up WAY too many weeks including some pricey purchase, to start off with... we decided to buy a second home outside of CA, with the intention of ultimately retiring there. We still have a business to run so it will be a lot of commuting back and forth for the next few years. In the meantime, we decided that outside of the current obligations to travel, i.e., committed travel plans with friends, we do not want to go anywhere else. We have a problem... what do we do with several weeks of Marriott, Starwood and Worldmark points?

Sell them?

H

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
For your Marriott Weeks, contact Marriott Resales Operations through this link. It's a simple process and as unbelievable as it might sound, there are many Weeks which will give you a higher return from Marriott than if you tried to resell them yourself on any of the external markets.

It's not an automatic. Marriott is picking and choosing which Weeks they'll take back and they may not be interested today in what they chose yesterday. But it's a simple first step that may surprise you.

If you go this route, please consider posting your experience to this ongoing thread in the Marriott forum: Marriott is BUYING BACK TIMESHARES Thanks, and good luck!

Also, best wishes with your new second home - how exciting!

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we decided to down size our Timeshares, we were lucky we owned several Marriott weeks. When they switched to the points program they needed to buy back weeks, so they would have units to give to the folks that now were buying and using points. Overall we sold back 4 or 5 weeks to Marriott through their Buy Back program. Some we only got pennies on the dollar, but we were glad to get out from under the maintenance fees. My suggestion is to call Marriott (ask for the phone number of their buy back program) and see if they are still doing buy backs. If so, you might get rid of those without a lot of hassle. Can't help with the other brands. We still enjoy timesharing on a lesser scale, but do a lot of cruising now to take up the slack.
Good Luck.
KCI's Wingman

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As I recall, you are making payments on a/some developer purchases - Westin Desert Willow (?) It would be in your best interest to see if they will take the deeds back, and forfeit the money you have already paid, because the mortgage makes it unsellable.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep...hard to part with them... :(

I feel your pain....we are starting to build our retirement home and we spend all our free time and vactions there.......I have been downsizing......but it is hard to let some of them go. I am holding on to my shell points and one fixed week and the rest are going..going...or gone

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For your Marriott Weeks, contact Marriott Resales Operations through this link. It's a simple process and as unbelievable as it might sound, there are many Weeks which will give you a higher return from Marriott than if you tried to resell them yourself on any of the external markets.

It's not an automatic. Marriott is picking and choosing which Weeks they'll take back and they may not be interested today in what they chose yesterday. But it's a simple first step that may surprise you.

If you go this route, please consider posting your experience to this ongoing thread in the Marriott forum: Marriott is BUYING BACK TIMESHARES Thanks, and good luck!

Also, best wishes with your new second home - how exciting!
We just bought 2 weeks from their reaales department last year and we are thinking of having them sell a week of the 2 that we bought. Thanks.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I recall, you are making payments on a/some developer purchases - Westin Desert Willow (?) It would be in your best interest to see if they will take the deeds back, and forfeit the money you have already paid, because the mortgage makes it unsellable.

We don't owe money on any of our purchase. It is just hard to decide which ones to part with.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Sell

What do you own specifically ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What do you own specifically ?

Since she is selling them, posting that info. here would be considered "advertising" - please send a PM.

sptung - After you retire and move, you will be back down to one house, and will surely want some vacations again. Why don't you rent your timeshares in the meantime? You could cover your MF and put a little money in your pocket, instead of taking a huge loss.

Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said, Marriott weeks are easier to sell because Marriott often buys them back - it is almost too easy. IMHO, that is great reason to hold onto the Marriott weeks as long as you can.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since she is selling them, posting that info. here would be considered "advertising" - please send a PM.

sptung - After you retire and move, you will be back down to one house, and will surely want some vacations again. Why don't you rent your timeshares in the meantime? You could cover your MF and put a little money in your pocket, instead of taking a huge loss.

I have not tried renting our timeshare. It seems like such a hassle, with alot of trust needed from both ends. My issue is that my son, who has a high functioning disability has decided to remain in CA. So it looks like we will need to keep both homes for a long time and frequent travel to see him. It is not easy in needing to balance everyone's needs, my husband hates living in CA to the point that it is not rational. For now I think we will simply sell one of our Marriott weeks. We will still have too many, but one step at a time.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have very good luck renting on vacationtimesharerentals.com and some luck here on TUG.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what Marriotts you have but they are very easy to rent on Redweek.com unless we're talking something in Orlando or Williamsburg.

As for selling, almost all Marriotts will sell for something so if you need to get rid of Marriotts they will be the least of your trouble.