• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Custom House in Boston

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just finishing up a 5 night stay tomorrow. Just wanted to say this is the best location for a stay in Boston I've ever been too. We spend a lot of weeks every year in T/S's and this place is GREAT. If you get a chance to go to Boston, this is the place to stay.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
Glad to hear, we usually trade it, but next year my son and family will split between 4 and 3 nights. The 4 will be the week of 4th of July then will return to Boston for a week-end in the fall.

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear that! We check in for our first stay there on Sept. 19 -- four weeks from tomorrow!

I'd love to hear about any activities, restaurants, etc. that you'd recommend.

I've got a question for you (or others who are familiar with the area): We're planning to travel from Logan Airport to the Custom House using the subway. I understand we get off at the Aquarium stop, and it looks like its an easy short walk from that stop to the Custom House. Is that correct? We'll have luggage and so walking more than a couple of blocks would get difficult.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear that! We check in for our first stay there on Sept. 19 -- four weeks from tomorrow!

I've got a question for you (or others who are familiar with the area): We're planning to travel from Logan Airport to the Custom House using the subway. I understand we get off at the Aquarium stop, and it looks like its an easy short walk from that stop to the Custom House. Is that correct? We'll have luggage and so walking more than a couple of blocks would get difficult.

It's an EASY walk!! You'll have no issue. Much shorter than you think.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, a short walk, but much easier, though bumpy, with wheeled suitcases over our cobblestoned streets.

-

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take a cab. It won't be very expensive from the airport and you won't have to worry about rain, getting lost, etc.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take a cab. It won't be very expensive from the airport and you won't have to worry about rain, getting lost, etc.

I second this advice. I haven't taken the T in awhile, but I hear it has become expensive. This would be much less of a hassle. Cabs in Boston are reasonable compared with many other cities.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I second this advice. I haven't taken the T in awhile, but I hear it has become expensive. This would be much less of a hassle. Cabs in Boston are reasonable compared with many other cities.

So how much would a cab be? I often read about how cabs are "reasonable", but it seems my definition of reasonable is different from others. Reading through the Rental Car for St. Kitts thread, I saw the term reasonable mentioned. When I looked at the link someone provided about taxi costs from one location to the other, it sure didn't meet my definition of reasonable.

I also read somewhere, not here, that taxis in Cancun were "reasonable". My experience is far from it. $15-$20 to go only a few miles in the hotel zone is not cheap when the bus is less than a dollar.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score

The first thing I would do is take an "Old Town Trolley Tour". You will get an overview of the city and decide what you really want to see. The tickets are good for 2 days and run from 9 to 5. That should give you plenty of time to get back to the places you want to see. There are several tour companies, however, we found this one to be the best. Restaurants run from very expensive to cheap. Good food everywhere. Go to Fodor's website to check out expensive restaurants. Plenty of places within walking distance of the Custom House. You do not have to spend big money to eat well. Durgin Park, Legal Seafood and The Black Rose (all near the Custom House) have good food at reasonable prices. If you have time a trip to Lexington and Concord is worth it. Salem is also fun. In the end you could spend week's exploring Boston and the neighboring cities and towns.

Have fun!!!

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score

From Logan, you will take a shuttle bus from terminal to airport blue line t stop. Take blue line inbound 2 stops. Aquarium Stop is across the street if you follow exit to State ast, Faneuil Hall.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
T would be fine, but after a flight, I don't wish to work to get to our destination. I'd rather relax and be TAKEN there.

Therefore, I would also take a cab.....it's just too easy. (See cab advice below.)

We visited Boston the past two Octobers, and it was awesome. So much to see and do. First stayed at Marriott Long Wharf Hotel, then Custom House. Both were excellent and in virtually the same area, easy walks to everything, especially the North End with all the great restaurants. Custom House was one of the most favorite weeks we've ever spent anywhere.

I had the pleasure of being referred to a fantastic cabbie by the doorman "Stu" at Long Wharf Hotel on our first visit. His name is John Murphy, cell phone 781-300-1284, and he took us to and from the airport. He takes the "short route" (LOL) and is wonderful, very trustworthy, very professional. Whenever we are in Boston, we will always call him for anything!!! Call or text him.

Tell him Marty sent you (and tell him I said Hello). He has texted me a handful of times during the year just to say hello and to check up on us...even wished us Happy Thanksgiving and later, Merry Christmas. Made my day each time. My only wish is that he worked in every city!

Last edited:

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an EASY walk!! You'll have no issue. Much shorter than you think.

The stop is extremely close to the Custom House. We bought the weekly pass for the T which was very reasonable. We traveled all over the city by subway and foot. Even went to Harvard.
No need for a taxi.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
the T is perfect for going all over Boston, no taxi ever needed. We walked all over the North End, so walking and the T will accomplish everything.

I recommend the taxi only for airport > Custom House, and vice versa. too easy, not expensive at all. Airport is close.

It all depends on the amount of luggage, though... Minimal luggage, take the T.
We usually have a lot of luggage, so a taxi is mandatory for us.

(Isn't that what LOL stands for??? Lots of Luggage?)

Last edited:

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
The stop is extremely close to the Custom House. We bought the weekly pass for the T which was very reasonable. We traveled all over the city by subway and foot. Even went to Harvard.
No need for a taxi.

Thanks for all the advice regarding taking the T vs. taking a cab from the airport to the Custom House. We're planning to buy a weekly pass for the T, and so I'm not inclined to pay additional for a cab if the T is a good option, which it appears to be.

Bastroum. thanks for all of your suggestions. That's exactly what I was looking for.

markbernstein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Custom House for the first time in June, and loved it. By the middle of the week, we knew that we'd have to come back at some point, as there's far more to see in Boston than you can cover in one week.

The weekly pass for the T is a great idea. It's only $18 per person. We also got good value out of the Boston Go Card, which covers admission to a lot of attractions. It also includes your choice of one of four premium options - we chose the Duck Tour, and liked it a lot. Note that the Go Card does include a trolley tour, but one that's not quite as good as Old Town. Which is OK - we got a two day ticket on each trolley, and that covered a good part of the week.

Favorite attractions included the aquarium, the U.S.S. Constitution, the Tea Party Museum (great presentation), the Museum of Fine Arts, and the sailing harbor cruise that was included in the Go Card.

Favorite restaurants included Legal Seafood (one block away, and the only place we ate at twice), Mr. Dooley's for Irish food, Al's City Cafe for great inexpensive subs, and the Omni Parker House hotel for the Boston Cream Pie. :)

Enjoy!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
...Favorite attractions included the aquarium, the U.S.S. Constitution, the Tea Party Museum (great presentation), the Museum of Fine Arts, and the sailing harbor cruise that was included in the Go Card.

Enjoy!

If you decide to visit the U.S.S Constitution ('Old Ironsides'), be sure to check out the U.S.S.Constituion Museum too which is directly across the parking lot. For more info, see http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/visit/plan/

Also, when I visited Boston and tried to visit the 'Old Ironsides' on a Sunday, the Ship tours were closed for the day and I had to return on Monday. So be sure to check that out too. Also a short walk away from where 'Old Ironsides' is berthed - you can catch a Boston Harbor Ferry for relatively inexpensive, I think it docks at Long Wharf, near the Aquarium. For more info see http://bostonwatertransportation.com/service.html

Have a good trip

Richard

Last edited:

ptlohmysoul

Reaction score
We are just finishing up a 5 night stay tomorrow. Just wanted to say this is the best location for a stay in Boston I've ever been too. We spend a lot of weeks every year in T/S's and this place is GREAT. If you get a chance to go to Boston, this is the place to stay.

But they only fit 4 to a room right? We are a family of 5, going on 6. Any ideas if this place would still work for us? Also, is there parking included with this timeshare?

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
But they only fit 4 to a room right? We are a family of 5, going on 6. Any ideas if this place would still work for us? Also, is there parking included with this timeshare?

2 adults plus 2 small children tops. Parking is $40/day.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it was about $25 last time I took a cab from Logan to the Back Bay, so probably a less than that. I love the T, but not when I have to drag luggage around. Well worth the money IMO. I'll take the T everywhere else I can't walk.

So how much would a cab be? I often read about how cabs are "reasonable", but it seems my definition of reasonable is different from others. Reading through the Rental Car for St. Kitts thread, I saw the term reasonable mentioned. When I looked at the link someone provided about taxi costs from one location to the other, it sure didn't meet my definition of reasonable.

I also read somewhere, not here, that taxis in Cancun were "reasonable". My experience is far from it. $15-$20 to go only a few miles in the hotel zone is not cheap when the bus is less than a dollar.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 adults plus 2 small children tops. Parking is $40/day.
Boston is a GREAT town for families but trust me, you do NOT want a car here. If you decide on an outing for a day, you can rent a car or try out Zipcar.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Parking is $40/day.

If you happen to be visiting just for the weekend and seek cheaper parking, try the Garage at Post Office Square . It's within an easy walk of Custom House, and its only $9 a day for Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. Even if you drive in on a Friday afternoon and park after 4pm, you can snatch the Friday night fee for $9 also. I use it any time I drive into Boston on the weekend and stay in the Custom House/Long Wharf area. Take the money you saved and head to Mike's or Modern Pastry!!! :)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you happen to be visiting just for the weekend and seek cheaper parking, try the Garage at Post Office Square . It's within an easy walk of Custom House, and its only $9 a day for Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. Even if you drive in on a Friday afternoon and park after 4pm, you can snatch the Friday night fee for $9 also. I use it any time I drive into Boston on the weekend and stay in the Custom House/Long Wharf area. Take the money you saved and head to Mike's or Modern Pastry!!! :)

Better yet, never use a garage in Boston on Sundays or Holidays. The parking meters controlled by the City of Boston are free on Sundays and Holidays.

However, the Massport Parking Meters located in the new waterfront district do charge every day, including Sundays and Holidays.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Boston is a GREAT town for families but trust me, you do NOT want a car here. If you decide on an outing for a day, you can rent a car or try out Zipcar.

When I visited Custom House some years ago, the concierge arranged a one day rental for me. Very convenient and easy, and only a few dollars more than doing it myself, and they brought the car to the timeshare. I would never have a car while in Boston, and I would almost always take a cab from the airport...not worth the trouble to deal with public transit with luggage after a long flight.

Sent from my iPad