• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Boston custom house and ny questions

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just confirmed custom house late July. Our sons are 12,9. We plan to go to basketball hall of fame and see the Red Sox twice. What would be top things we need to see(history, cultural, etc.). We have never been to Boston!

We will be traveling to nyc at the end of the week. We are interested in traveling by rail. I do see the express is much more expensive. Are there any codes we can use for discounts or is the regular Acela good enough?

Lastly we enjoy marriotts and wish to stay close to time square. Other than the 2 ( marquis and Renaissance ) what hotel do u recommend that might be a bit cheaper?

Thank you for your time. Jt

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do the Freedom Trail in Boston.

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow that looks great.

Our son will complete 5th grade this year and will learn about Revolutionary war. Perfect.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. It sounds like you will have a car - basketball hall of fame is about a 1 1/2 hour drive west of Boston. You may want to schedule that on your way to NYC. But you also say that you are thinking about taking a train. You may want to make reservations on a bus - tickets are much cheaper. This link appears to serve several bus lines. Don't take one of the Chinese bus lines, though. http://www.wanderu.com/cheap-bus-ti...EKxanWk0BNZJAoAetI-Dv4JLaeZ10eOljBRoCl2Tw_wcB

If you have a car, you may want to go to Minute Man National Park. http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm

Freedom Trail for sure, if everyone in your party can walk. Here's a book that I like: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Bostons-Freedom-Trail/dp/0961570520 I bought mine from the National Park Service, I think. You can also take some free walking tours from the NPS. They have an office in the basement of Faneuil Hall.

I had a link to things to do in the Boston area from another TS site, but my link appears to be broken. I will post it if I can find it.

Have fun!

Sue

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Custom house is by the waterfront and much of historic Boston. The Marriott Long Wharf is there also (about two blocks away). The other 2 ( Marquis and Renaissance ) are much closer to Fenway but other than that not in the truly historic downtown.

petertdavis

Reaction score
Bus service from Boston to NYC is significantly less expensive than the train. Most of the bus services offer free wifi on the bus now too, and the schedules are more flexible (ie, there are more departures per day). There are several companies that offer this route now.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just confirmed custom house late July. Our sons are 12,9. We plan to go to basketball hall of fame and see the Red Sox twice. What would be top things we need to see(history, cultural, etc.). We have never been to Boston!

We will be traveling to nyc at the end of the week. We are interested in traveling by rail. I do see the express is much more expensive. Are there any codes we can use for discounts or is the regular Acela good enough?

Lastly we enjoy marriotts and wish to stay close to time square. Other than the 2 ( marquis and Renaissance ) what hotel do u recommend that might be a bit cheaper?

Thank you for your time. Jt

You are confusing the train service. There are two train classes which service BOS-NYP. Acela and Northeast Regional. The "regular" train is the Northeast Regional and the Acela is the upgraded train.

Acela has less stops, but it has a few and is termed "Acela Express".

Acela is the upgraded, sleeker, faster, more expensive Amtrak train and arrives usually anywhere from 35-45-55 mins earlier. The Northeast Regional is the "regular" service and if you book early, it's often times $49 one way for adults. Not sure about children, but the info is online.
Go to Amtrak.com .

I usually take the Northeast Regional for personal vacation, but my firm pays for the pricey Acela when I travel on business, however, it can be $190=219 depending on the train and when the trip is booked. It's a treat, but I'm not paying for it.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra money paying for Acela.

See here: http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-to-ny-acela-or-northeast-regional.cfm

Go on line and plug in your dates and times for pricing. Do this way ahead of time.

Become an Amtrak rewards member (no charge -just go onto their website) and/or www.retailmenot.com has discount codes from time to time.
=

-

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Possibly looking to add Boston to a Cape Cod exchange for summer 2016. Did you exchange your entire 2 br unit or did the summer exchange come through with just the 1 br or just the lock off? I currently have an OGS for 2016 which I know is way early but I am only using a 1 br Branson platinum week.

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

We plan to rent a car for the day to go to Springfield. If we need to rent a car for another day if something else awesome to do is recommended we will. Other than that we will use public transportation for the week.

As for the train if the northeast regional to nyc after our week in Boston is sufficient we will do that. Obviously a lot cheaper than the Acela express. My 2 kids love trains and since we live in California we don't have a lot of opportunities to ride them. A bus would not be as fun for them or me even if it is cheaper.

We plan to stay near time square but the marquis and Renaissance about 400 per night. Which Marriott other than these two do you recommend?

Thank you.

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

I deposited 2015 last week. I enquired about Boston and they had a week in inventory I wanted. I used a 1 bd lock off from 2014.

I will check on the ren central. Thanks

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amtrak offers a 50% discount on fares for children through age 12 who are traveling with a paid adult fare. There are some restrictions, including that the tickets must be purchased at least 3 days in advance, and the discount is not available for Acela train service. There are additional discounts available if you are a AAA member, active duty military or a member of Veterans Rewards.
http://www.amtrak.com/discount-train-fares-for-kids-seniors-military-students-and-more

crew

TUG Member
Reaction score
We plan to stay near time square but the marquis and Renaissance about 400 per night. Which Marriott other than these two do you recommend?

Thank you.

NYC has many Marriott hotels in various brand levels. Everything from 2 Ritz Carltons to Residence Inns and Fairfields. Although you can pay as much as you want, unfortunately you can't pay as little as you want. Hotels in Manhattan are expensive and rooms tend to be very small.
You can save a considerable amount of money by staying in New Jersey & taking public transportation into the city each day. It's not the same as staying there but it is an option and the buses & trains are excellent.
Do a Google, Orbitz or Yelp! search and you'll see the choices and prices.
NYC is a great destination and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Since Custom House is a
Friday to Friday exchange I looked for a 4 night stay starting on a Friday for. 4 people in a room....I did not use MOD or AAA discount codes. I searched by looking for. "Times Square, NY"

This hotel is $263 versus Marquis $383
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
114 West 40th Street New York, NY 10018
0.4 miles from Times Square

And this one is $220
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
3 East 40th Street New York, NY 10016
0.5 miles from Times Square

These are both well located hotels near Times Square...honestly, the prices were all over the place. I would make several reservations and just keep checking back for promos or decreased pricing. Some of the better prices were for advanced purchase rooms, only you can decide if it is worth it.
Have a great trip!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
We took the Northeast Regional in October to NYC and enjoyed it very much. The fare was $49 each. Since you will be boarding at the beginning of the route, seats are plentiful. Free wi-fi, power outlets, and fold down tables on each seat. There are luggage restrictions, however, no one ever checked weight or size. I would definitely do it again.

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our son will complete 5th grade this year and will learn about Revolutionary war. Perfect.

I second the recommendation for exploring the Freedom Trail -- I think a 5th grader would love it! You might want to do part of it one day and another part the second day (otherwise it gets a little long and overwhelming). Also consider doing the Freedom Trail tour offered by the National Park Service. They actually offer two tours, each focusing on different parts of the trail. We took the tour that went up to the Old North Church -- I think your 5th grader would love that. Be sure to visit the Bunker Hill stop on the trail (again, your kid will love going to the top of the monument). While you're in that area, be sure to visit the USS Constitution -- very interesting!

I also recommend visiting one or more of the outer islands. There are several alternative tours in the summer time. We took the tour to Fort Warren on Georges Island. The guided tour of the Fort was interesting and the boat ride provided great views of the Boston skyline!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I'm available, I can take you out to Lexington & Concord.

-

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Amtrack website you can select AAA Adult as the traveler type. It saves a little if you are a member.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Amtrack website you can select AAA Adult as the traveler type. It saves a little if you are a member.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it raises the regular price. Yes, hard to believe, but it can raise the price. An error message will appear with a price warning. It's nice when it works, though. Thanks for the tip.

-

-

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also become a NARP member for Amtrak discounts.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for exploring the Freedom Trail -- I think a 5th grader would love it! You might want to do part of it one day and another part the second day (otherwise it gets a little long and overwhelming). Also consider doing the Freedom Trail tour offered by the National Park Service. They actually offer two tours, each focusing on different parts of the trail. We took the tour that went up to the Old North Church -- I think your 5th grader would love that. Be sure to visit the Bunker Hill stop on the trail (again, your kid will love going to the top of the monument). While you're in that area, be sure to visit the USS Constitution -- very interesting!

I also recommend visiting one or more of the outer islands. There are several alternative tours in the summer time. We took the tour to Fort Warren on Georges Island. The guided tour of the Fort was interesting and the boat ride provided great views of the Boston skyline!

Unfortunately the SS Constitution is out of service for refurbishment. I do not think she will be open by the time you arrive in Boston.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the SS Constitution is out of service for refurbishment. I do not think she will be open by the time you arrive in Boston.

The USS Constistution Museum will remain open during her refurbishment. It's very kid-oriented; a lot of hands-on exhibits.

True, not as good as walking the decks of old Ironsides, though.

-