• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's up with the price of eggs??

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP is in Buffalo though.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. The new law affects any growers in the US that sell eggs in California - and apparently about 9% of US eggs are sold in California. I think it's just an excuse for ALL growers to raise their prices, but I can be a skeptic. ;)

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There is nothing special about brown eggs. It simply has to with the breed of chicken they come out of.

Jim

When our DS bought his little 'farm' he had some chickens that laid 'green' eggs! The had a greenish shell, but of course, were 'normal looking' inside. Our GS used to love having 'green eggs & ham' for breakfast. I really miss the fresh (& free) eggs we got at every visit. (the coyotes got the chickens :bawl: )

~Diane

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I saw a news report about this a couple of weeks ago. It's mostly people eating more eggs; higher demand. Just about every fast food place/convenience store sells some form of egg on a muffin/croissant/wrap etc.

Cheese and butter supplies also aren't meeting demand so those prices are up as well.

Sue

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 package choc or lemon cake mix
8 oz. sour cream
1 cup water
4 eggs
3/4 cup veg oil
1 package (4 serving size) chocolate or lemon instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 cup chocolate chips if making the chocolate cake

Lightly grease inside of slow cooker
Combine cake mix,sour cream,water,eggs,oil in large bowl until well blended. Stir in pudding mix until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
She says hard part is getting it out. Use a knife and slide around side. Put a plate on top and hold the plate to it while turning over. She likes to split mixture in half and use small crock pots to make 2 smaller cakes (crocks should be round).

Thanks for the recipe. We'll give it a try!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
There is nothing special about brown eggs. It simply has to with the breed of chicken they come out of.

As a side note, here is a discussion from a British medical journal of whether or not eggs need to be stored refrigerated: http://www.medicaldaily.com/do-eggs...or-can-you-store-them-room-temperature-256872

I know there's no difference, I was curious as to why there should be a price difference between white and brown eggs. I know that customers in the US have traditionally preferred white eggs (not sure on what basis) whereas in the UK all our eggs are brown with the exception of some overpriced blue ones but other than being free range/organic I can't see any justification for paying more simply because they're brown.

I keep chickens and over the years I've had brown, white, blue and green eggs all of which tasted the same and there is no discernible difference other than the colour of the yolk (Maran's eggs have a much darker yolk). I always keep my eggs at room temperature as there's no need to refrigerate them and also their shells are porous so they can absorb strong odours from the fridge.

As for freshness even my 'old' eggs are much fresher than the 'freshest' supermarket eggs. I can never poach a supermarket egg as the white just falls apart whereas I can still poach a 5 day old egg from my hens without any vinegar or other stabiliser and it turns out perfectly.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

As a side note, here is a discussion from a British medical journal of whether or not eggs need to be stored refrigerated: http://www.medicaldaily.com/do-eggs...or-can-you-store-them-room-temperature-256872

I always wondered after travels to Mexico and seeing huge stacks of eggs in the market aisles. Of course in the U.S. eggs are always found in the refrigerated cases.

Jim

I have also read that the we here in the USA refrigerate our eggs because we put them through a washing solution before being delivered. This wash strips the usual protective cuticle from the egg. They don't wash the eggs in many other parts of the world.

We apparently wash them because of the conditions that the hens are in. Being with so many hens in a small space, the chances of salmonella on the eggs is higher, thus we wash them off. Conditions in many other countries with less crowding of the hens results in less chance of contamination at the farm.

There is really no need to refrigerate an egg as it is laid naturally, but once washed it must be refrigerated.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also read that the we here in the USA refrigerate our eggs because we put them through a washing solution before being delivered. This wash strips the usual protective cuticle from the egg. They don't wash the eggs in many other parts of the world.

We apparently wash them because of the conditions that the hens are in. Being with so many hens in a small space, the chances of salmonella on the eggs is higher, thus we wash them off. Conditions in many other countries with less crowding of the hens results in less chance of contamination at the farm.

There is really no need to refrigerate an egg as it is laid naturally, but once washed it must be refrigerated.

This has also been my understanding of why (commercial) U.S. eggs need refrigeration while those in most of the rest of the world do not. iirc, Japan also washes the natural coating off too.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is an Aldi near you try them for eggs they are fairly inexpensive

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to show my dirty hippie side, but if you're buying eggs for 12 cents a piece you should do some research on how your eggs are raised. A chicken lays approximately 1 egg per day, so you're paying to keep a chicken fed/happy/healthy on $3.60 per month.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I hate to show my dirty hippie side, but if you're buying eggs for 12 cents a piece you should do some research on how your eggs are raised. A chicken lays approximately 1 egg per day, so you're paying to keep a chicken fed/happy/healthy on $3.60 per month.

So how much is a chicken's happiness worth to you? You willing to pay $12/dozen so that they can live on $30/month? That doesn't seem like much either.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted in an earlier post, I am willing to pay $2.50 to see the chickens raised in a humane manner. Hardly seems like a big price to pay.

persia

Reaction score
Even though I know the whole white versus brown discussion is really a matter of breed, having lived most of my life in Australia where white eggs don't exist, I can't bring myself to buy them. They just don't look "natural" to me.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how much is a chicken's happiness worth to you? You willing to pay $12/dozen so that they can live on $30/month? That doesn't seem like much either.

$12/doz would be appoximately $60 per month per chicken which does seem like a lot to me. I'll happily pay $4+ per dozen for cage free organic eggs. We ended up getting a few chickens of our own in the end, but it's not saving us any money.

The factory farms keep chickens in a windowless barn in a battery cage, with each hen getting the floor space equal to a regular sheet of paper.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I must be math-impaired!

$12/dozen = $1/egg.

1 egg per day x 30 days = $30/month.

What am I missing? Is this a common core math problem or something?

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price for eggs at my Aldi just jumped from 1.69/dz to 1.99 over the past week :mad:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck, the reg. price of butter around here has been $5.69. We finally saw eggs come down to $1.50 on sale at Target. How about bacon at $6.99.
I guess it just goes with our housing prices. If only the average persons wages matched price increases.
What my wife figured out for baking is to use half Crisco and half butter for her cookies. She makes about 100 doz. that she sends to her siblings at Christmas time. She doesn't bake all of it though, some is dough that she freezes and also sends. She also sends each sibling a couple crock pot cakes. If you've never had a chocolate or lemon crock pot cake you've sure missed something. Add crock pot brownies and you will only dream about them till the next Christmas.
Just so you know the crock pot items flavor gets intensified by being in the crock pot.
Bart

My kids live not too far from you in San Carlos! Everything is $$$$$$$ in your part of the world save the occasional farm stand, luckily they have good jobs as I cannot comprehend how average working folk can afford to live there. As much as we would like to retire close to our grandkids, we dimply vpcannot afford to do so. And remember, we live in Boston which is no bargain either!

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though I know the whole white versus brown discussion is really a matter of breed, having lived most of my life in Australia where white eggs don't exist, I can't bring myself to buy them. They just don't look "natural" to me.

White eggs did exist in the 1960's but I understand that in the 1970's no-one wanted them because they were thought to be "processed" and less healthy than brown eggs. A bit like the shift from white bread to wholemeal.

Egg price currently around $5 - $6 per dozen (large). Free range ~ up to $10.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even though I know the whole white versus brown discussion is really a matter of breed...

OT: As a child, I thought chocolate milk came from black cows. :ponder:

persia

Reaction score
Oh wow, I never thought about putting eggs in the refrigerator! Is it common for people to do that?

AECL-Eggs.jpg

Last edited:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, I never thought about putting eggs in the refrigerator! Is it common for people to do that?

It is common in the US but I've noticed not so in other countries. I wonder if we expect to keep our eggs longer than other people who eat them right away? You'll find them in the refrigerated in the grocery stores. When we were in Spain, they were stacked in trays by the produce.

Anyway... in the Chicago area, you can get eggs at any price you want. I see them from around $2 up to $6/dozen. It depends on brand name and how nice you want them to treat the chickens.

Deb

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

See the link in my post #23. Short answer: In the U.S. and a few other countries, the protective cuticle that eggs naturally come with is washed off. Those need to be refrigerated to protect against salmonella. Eggs from vaccinated chickens and with the cuticle intact need not be, though shelf life is longer under refrigeration either way.

Oh, they're still $1.25/doz at my neighborhood store.

Jim

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lucky Us

My kids live not too far from you in San Carlos! Everything is $$$$$$$ in your part of the world save the occasional farm stand, luckily they have good jobs as I cannot comprehend how average working folk can afford to live there. As much as we would like to retire close to our grandkids, we dimply vpcannot afford to do so. And remember, we live in Boston which is no bargain either!

Both my wife and I worked all our life's at Safeway Grocery but what we each did about 40 years ago was bought houses and when we married 25 years ago we sold both and bought a more expensive one. Long story short is bought and sold at right times. Could not afford to be here today without having done that. The other thing is we made lower pay but earned decent pensions.