• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Been waiting for months- no exchange available

ladyydoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Dawn Beach Club, St. Maarten
I deposited my week, and put in requests with 7 different locations to choose from, for March of 2016. I've already been waiting for 3 months, with no confirmation that anything is available.
How long is reasonable to wait?:annoyed:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on location, you might need to put ogs in 1 to 2 years in advance. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
March is Spring break for most schools, and if you only put in your request 7 mos. in advance, you may have been too late. School holidays have the highest demand.

What week and resorts did you request?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Which exchange company?
What resort, week and unit size did you deposit?

RCI requests using are best put in 1-2 years ahead.
II request 12 - 14 months out .... And as Denise said, March is Spring Break and very popular in warm weather and sky destinations.

So more information is needed from you for us to tell you your chances.

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
SXM

In April 2015 I put in an OGS with RCI for St. Maarten in February 2016. Still no luck. Last year there were many options shortly before the week we wanted so I am still hopeful.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance bills typically go out this time of year. That is when a lot of people realize they are not going to use their week and decide to deposit. We have been waiting months for an exchange for February and it just came through. Where are you going? Some resorts do bulk banking 8-12 months out and when those are gone, they don't come back unless there is a cancellation.

e.bram

Reaction score
Owners of Prime desirable weeks generally use or rent. Why deposit to end up with a dog week while the exchange company(RCI I presume) rents your prime week. Peolple should buy where and when they want to go.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Owners of Prime desirable weeks generally use or rent. Why deposit to end up with a dog week while the exchange company(RCI I presume) rents your prime week. Peolple should buy where and when they want to go.
Suggestion: try an exchange on TUG. We are in the process of our first exchange with another TUG member. It is working very well. We both are paying our own Maintenence fees and using each other's week. No guest certificate fees, exchange fees. Just a perfect fit for both of us. After it is done, I will elaborate further. Will be in June 2016!
Silentg

ladyydoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is II

I deposited a 3 bedroom unit that sleeps 8 and has a full kitchen in St. Maarten.
The week I requested is March 23-31, 2016.
Places I requested are: Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico, St. John, and St. Kitts

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is II

I deposited a 3 bedroom unit that sleeps 8 and has a full kitchen in St. Maarten.
Places I requested are: Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico, St. John, and St. Kitts

That's Easter week - one of the highest demand weeks of the year. You probably put your request in too late.

Also, you requested a Wed. to Wed. - a Wednesday check-in is a lot more difficult to get, because most resorts don't have Wednesday check-in.

This is probably an impossible exchange. I would change my dates to a Friday - Saturday - Sunday check-in, and add more resorts.

Do you have to go Easter week? If you can change the dates completely, it would help.

You may want to make other plans for 2016, and change your OGS to 2017.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think when you do an ongoing request on II, it automatically defaults to the Thursday before your first date unless you call to make it more specific.

I agree about the timing. If you are going to request high season low availability locations, you are going to need to put in your request 12-13 months in advance. I think that was the same suggestion made to you last year when you were looking for summer near one of the national parks.

ladyydoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I actually requested Saturday-Saturday. On my II exchange request page, it's showing those dates, even though I didn't ask for Wed-Wed. We can only go away Easter week because my kids are in high school.

If I already deposited the week, then I have no other options for an exchange?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I actually requested Saturday-Saturday. On my II exchange request page, it's showing those dates, even though I didn't ask for Wed-Wed. We can only go away Easter week because my kids are in high school.

If I already deposited the week, then I have no other options for an exchange?

I would change my request to 2017, and make other plans for 2016.

Easter week is always going to be a really difficult week to get - like all school holidays. Your best bet (in the future) may be to rent your week, and apply the funds to a rental from another owner.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is II

As others have mentioned Easter week is super prime time and I assume you need a 2BR which further lessens your chance. In addition, there aren't a huge amount of deposits and/or timeshares in those areas-

St. John's- pretty much zero chance, only 2 resorts with very few deposits probably none during Easter week.

St. Lucia- very few non-all inclusive required deposits

Dominican Republic- almost all of them require all inclusive fees to be paid and if you are ok with this route, don't use your week to book it just buy a getaway

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to belabor the point, but if you want to exchange into a high demand week, you need to go at least a year ahead of time. My wife is a teacher and we are limited to the same vacation schedule you are. I put in our request 18 months in advance and have always gotten what we wanted. Luckily for us, she's retiring at the end of the school year so things are more flexible. In fact, we already got our exchange for St. Lucia in February 2017. With exchanges, time is your friend.

ladyydoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks very much for all of the suggestions

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: try an exchange on TUG. We are in the process of our first exchange with another TUG member. It is working very well. We both are paying our own Maintenence fees and using each other's week. No guest certificate fees, exchange fees. Just a perfect fit for both of us. After it is done, I will elaborate further. Will be in June 2016!
Silentg

Interested in how you avoid the guest certificate this way. Doesn't each exchange come in the other TUGGER's name? Please help/elaborate.

Edit: I figured it out - you are using your own week, thus no need for RCI or II at all, right?

Last edited:

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interested in how you avoid the guest certificate this way. Doesn't each exchange come in the other TUGGER's name? Please help/elaborate.

Edit: I figured it out - you are using your own week, thus no need for RCI or II at all, right?

Right.

We did a Tug exchange just like Silentg. Worked just great. We called our resort and told them who was coming and the other party did the same.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify, in most cases, you have to call your resort's reservation office and request an official confirmation for your guest, so they have documentation at check-in.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Just to clarify, in most cases, you have to call your resort's reservation office and request an official confirmation for your guest, so they have documentation at check-in.

It may take more than a phone call.

My resort in DBS requires a letter over my signature to change a ressie. It's still free for me to do but Denise's advice to call and see what needs to be done should be followed.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> We can only go away Easter week because my kids are in high school. <snip>

And therein lies the rub. Demand far exceeds supply for a peak period. Moreover, you "deposited" only a few months ago. You are among many, many others facing the supply / demand imbalance --- and there are a whole lotta dogs lookin' for the same finite number of bones...

Last edited:

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score

So that's what they were doing...duh. Time for a revolt and set up our own fee-free exchange system. Oh yeah, that exists too. Sigh. I wish we had a more popular non-profit exchange system outside of the traditional systems.

I'm sick and tired of their continuous undermining of our exchange experience, while I see them take away our weeks and build up profit, year after year. They are not watching out for us. They are watching out for their salaries and their shareholders (if that).

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
So that's what they were doing...duh. Time for a revolt and set up our own fee-free exchange system. Oh yeah, that exists too. Sigh. I wish we had a more popular non-profit exchange system outside of the traditional systems.

But who's going to go to the time and effort to set up that company,staff and run it for no profit?

Private exchanges work too, I'm in the midst of a three way exchange with another tigger, and everybody's happy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A gentle reminder: We have a direct exchange system right here on TUG, in the Marketplace.

However, regardless of the system, for holiday weeks there will always be more demand than supply, and the best practice is to get your request in EARLY.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> I'm sick and tired of their continuous undermining of our exchange experience, while I see them take away our weeks and build up profit, year after year. They are not watching out for us. They are watching out for their salaries and their shareholders (if that).

With all due respect, isn't this exactly the business model and clear intent of any exchange company --- financial profit from exchanges among its' voluntary participants, from the participants' fees?

In other words, it should come as no surprise that the company objective and priority is profit, not the enhancement of your "exchange experience". In the final analysis, that's "just business", no? :shrug:

Last edited: