• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All Inclusive

Paulzy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

We looking into all inclusive resorts using our RCI points.
We are quite new to this, and looking for any advice you can give.

A couple of questions we do have are.
1, Is there a way to use the RCI points to pay the All Inclusive fees?
2. Is there a way to use the RCI points to pay for flights?

Many Thanks in advance
Paul

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1) No. The resorts want cash.
2) Not really. We understand you can get some discounts on retail airfare, cruises, etc. by buying through RCI, but the 'discount' is far less than the MF cost of the points used to get the discount.

Best 'deal' is to use timeshare points for timeshare stays and shop for cash discounts for travel expenses on other things. (IMO) 'All Inclusive' is not a good deal. Ever. You are restricted to resort restaurants instead of experiencing local businesses, and again imo, AI drinks are watered down.

Jim

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I can't say I've had experience with all inclusives, but the common advice here is that you can do much better booking a package deal with flight and resort than getting a flight, basically giving away your timeshare deposit and still paying the daily all inclusive fees.

There may be a few exceptions, but generally it's not considered a good way to use your timeshare exchange.

Just the other side of the coin about all inclusives. We've never been to Mexico or the Caribbean, other than short forays into border towns. If we were inclined to go, I think we would do an all inclusive for our first visit to get a feel for the lay of the land, as it were. So while many do not prefer it, the ease of just having everything more or less organized for you is appealing to some - read me. Sorry if that's TMI - you didn't really ask for an opinion on all inclusives.

Paulzy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for you replies.

Personal opinions are always welcome, and tend to shed light on areas I may not have considered, so thanks for those too.

I have done some more searching on TUG's forum, and can see the def general concensus is to get AI's elsewhere.

Again thanks for your thoughts.

Have a great day

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that AI's are often a better deal as package deals from travel sites like Travelocity, Vacationstogo, and even local travel agencies than an through timeshares. Packages often include airfare 4-7 nights and AI for a fairly reasonable number. Usually it's a hotel room, but if you are eating at onsite restaurants, you don't have much need of a kitchen like in most TSs.

Jim

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Often the AI rates drop substantially if you attend a sales meeting. Just saying there are ways to reduce the costs (well, as long as you don't buy a timeshare)!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I haven't really compared AI to exchange a week and paying the fees a lot, but the few I have checked it seemed that I could get the AI with airfare through a consolidator or TA for about the same price or a little more than trading a week and paying the AI fee.

I certainly would never trade my week for a week at a mandatory AI timeshare. It just isn't a good use of my timeshare deposits. If we ever decide to go AI, we will book through a travel agent that specializes in them. It will also most likely be Jamaica or DR. I see no reason to do AI in Mexico.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Often the AI rates drop substantially if you attend a sales meeting. Just saying there are ways to reduce the costs (well, as long as you don't buy a timeshare)!

This only works at optional AI's. At mandatory AI's you pay on check in or even before. Attending a sales meeting might get you additional perks but it isn't going to reduce the AI fee.

As far as points for airfare it depends on how cheap your points are. If you have a really good ratio of MF to points coming close to .005 (half cent per point) and had a platinum membership so you could convert half your annual points to use with points partners you could break even or be a little ahead. Unlike cruises the air search engine as well as the hotel one was decent. 80% of the time it found the cheapest available fair for the dates and times and then the points could convert to currency to pay for everything except a transaction fee if you have enough available eligible points.

I haven't tried since the last enhancement (November 15) and rci is down for maintenance now so it may have changed or become an even worse value.