• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airport tips for one parent travelling with two little kids?

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers

Was hoping to get some tips.

We have two young kids (3 and 4). When we fly, I usually take care of all the logistics (watching bags through security check/getting luggage/car-seats/car-rental/strapping seats into cars-seat/etc) while my wife focuses on watching the kids (usually strapped in the double stroller)

My wife will be travelling to New York City with the kids by herself later this summer. What do other parents in a similar situation typically do to ensure as smooth of a trip as possible? In case it opens up options, will be flying into EWR (preferable) or JFK.

- Look into hiring a porter service? I've never used one. How does that work? Can you pay for service all the way to the car rental?
- Pack as lightly as possible
- Don't bring the stroller?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
dlca1

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
By all means use the double stroller. Easier to keep track of two (possibly tired and cranky) little ones. Have lots of dollar bills on hand for tips. If you must have a rental car, check to see if any of the rental car companies offer a valet service that will pick you up from baggage claim. Check to see if a company offers luggage delivery service from the airport.

Consider hiring a Town car service for pickup at the airport (hire porter at baggage claim) and get a rental car later without the hassle of dealing with luggage.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a KNOWN teenager to travel with them. This function usually was a 'job' for a grandmother or aunt in families years ago. Yes, it is expensive for the plane ticket and other costs .... but travelling is not easy on kids and very tiring for a parent alone.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPS the luggage to the destination so she is traveling with nothing but daiper bag purse change of clothes.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You can go in with her and handle everything until she enters the security line.
I'd check everything but one bag for the kids needs. When they exit the plane, she can, relatively easily, make it to the baggage delivery. Definitely hire a porter. Tell the porter, in advance, she will need him to take her to the car-rental bus stop. He'll stay with her if she tells him she needs it, and she can tip more to make up for the time he can't go back and deal with someone else. It's really not a lot different from traveling with someone in a wheel chair, and that's the generally accepted way to deal with luggage problems then. The porter won't be surprised at the request.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my two daughters to WDW myself in 2014. It was actually much easier than I thought. I met a military wife travelling with a two-year-old and twin eight-month-olds and realized I didn't have it so bad :)

My recommendations are to bring a stroller. You might end up in the family security line, which moves quicker than the regular line. Most people will be patient when they see two young kids if it takes her some time to fold the stroller. Chances are someone will jump in and fold it and lift it if needed.

I'd suggest bringing plenty of electronic devices, toys, books, etc. for the flight. I take a seat in one of the last rows so that we're closest to the bathrooms.

Talk to the kids beforehand to let them know expectations and what's involved. They'll probably understand more than you think and be excited to help Mommy and be "big kids."